I'm sorry but what do aliens have to compare to the shotgun?

AntikaratekidAntikaratekid Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183688Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I've been in three successive matches today where one player has gone on complete killing spree the likes of 35-3 with a shotgun and jetpack.

What do aliens have for 30 res that can OHK with that mobility?

Comments

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    give aliens shotgun!
  • Zenn3kZenn3k Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183506Members
    Oh didn't you know? Spiking someone with a lerk for 45 minutes is equal to 1 shotting with a shotgun.

Taking a skulk or lerk bite should completely drain the jetpack tank and prevent it from refilling for 2 seconds. That way if you manage to actually LAND a bite on the guy, he drops and can actually be killed instead of just flying away. To me, thats equal to the stupid bad celerity nerf.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    jetpacks and shotguns both cost less than they're worth atm. The combo should cost 40-50 res together.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    Zenn3k wrote: »
    Oh didn't you know? Spiking someone with a lerk for 45 minutes is equal to 1 shotting with a shotgun.

Taking a skulk or lerk bite should completely drain the jetpack tank and prevent it from refilling for 2 seconds. That way if you manage to actually LAND a bite on the guy, he drops and can actually be killed instead of just flying away. To me, thats equal to the stupid bad celerity nerf.

are you trying to create a series of myths?

afaik celerity has been the same since release, also spiking has approximately the same dps as AR without the reload.

by the time marines have shotgun + jetpack, alien's should have at least one pres onos... otherwise alien just failed.
    edited March 2013
    tarquinbb wrote: »

are you trying to create a series of myths?

afaik celerity has been the same since release, also spiking has approximately the same dps as AR without the reload.

by the time marines have shotgun + jetpack, alien's should have at least one pres onos... otherwise alien just failed.

Celerity always didn't work in combat? Not what EVERYONE has been telling me. Cause it doesn't work in combat now, making it pretty terrible.

Spiking might do same damage as AR...but last time I checked, marines had a LOT more life than a skulk. I've spent minutes spiking the front lines and almost never get a kill. Marines just run back to the armory and full heal in seconds, hell, they can just STAND by the armory if they want, the armory heals faster than the lerk can damage the marine.

Also, JP+SG counters Onos, so yeah...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Celerity worked in combat in NS1, not NS2. (though I think it should)
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members

And hitting a fade 4 times with the LMG should slow its speed and prevent it from blinking/SSing away. That way, if we actually LAND bullets on the guy, he drops and can actually be killed instead of just Shadowstepping away. To me, that's equal to the stupid shotgun range or the shit LMG/pistol damage.

Same thing should happen to an Onos. If you can land a clip into the Onos, that should drain their energy and slow them. I mean, I've been in games where the onos went 40:5 and killed an entire base with a 10 res gorge then ran away laughing when the exos showed up. What do the marines have that can AOE stun aliens, tank, and run away.
    I've been in three successive matches today where one player has gone on complete killing spree the likes of 35-3 with a shotgun and jetpack.

If a marine went 35:3 with a jetpack and shotgun in a short/mid length game, then he massively out skills you. If a fade went 40:6 against the marines team, it's not because fades or Onos are imbalanced.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I went 40-2 as a Lerk while drunk once.

<3 Anecdotal evidence <3

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Celerity always didn't work in combat? Not what EVERYONE has been telling me.

In NS2 it has never worked in combat. In NS1 it did.

(guy who played since the alpha here)
  • KalibosKalibos Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183589Members
    lerk

fade

skulk and onos if you lure them into a room with a low ceiling
    Squishpoke wrote: »

<3 Anecdotal evidence <3

OMG Teach me master! (seriously, the Lerk is a support class. It's not supposed to be getting fade/onos levels of kills)
    Industry wrote: »
    Celerity always didn't work in combat? Not what EVERYONE has been telling me.

In NS2 it has never worked in combat. In NS1 it did.

(guy who played since the alpha here)

Man oh man, the reasons to go back to NS1 just keep piling up. I'm really starting to regret giving UWE $30 for this game.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Vigilantia wrote: »

<3 Anecdotal evidence <3

OMG Teach me master! (seriously, the Lerk is a support class. It's not supposed to be getting fade/onos levels of kills)

I had Celerity/Regen/Cloak, the server was full of bads, and they kept going through Crevice over and over again. :P

• GoOtterGoGoOtterGo Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183667Members
    I had Celerity/Regen/Cloak, the server was full of bads, and they kept going through Crevice over and over again. :P

Even without awful players to pad your score, the Lurk Celerity/Regen/Camo combination is immensely strong and I feel a lot of Alien players overlook the Lurk in general as a way to handle the jetpack/shotgun combo.

Not sure if the new camo gimped this Lurk build a bit but I'd never die with old camo.
  • GoOtterGoGoOtterGo Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183667Members
    If anything what should be asked is what do Aliens have in way of a 0 res late-game unit that can, assuming skill is even, 1-on-1 a late-game, fully upgraded 0 res Marine. Especially now that camo has been junked.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I think something that gets lost in a lot of these threads, comparing one direct variable to another (ie: skulk vs marine. shotgun vs fade. etc.), is that its not taking the entire combat situation into consideration from a holistic point of view.

For example..
    Yes and shotgun-marine will probably take out a skulk without too much problem.
    But thats not taking into consideration things like...
    bile bomb: obscured vision, armor loss, potential new targetting priority on gorge
    spores: obscured vision, health loss, potential new aerial targetting priority on lerk
    fades: puncture damage (may be using the obscured vision that bile bomb and spores provides as cover)
    etc. etc.

My point is that while comparing apples to apples is fine, it doesn't ranslate well when comparing the entire basket of apples and oranges.... if that makes sense. I feel like I sound pretenious or something lol.

Personally I like to view the marines as this unstoppable force of ranged DPS and armor.
    A ball of marines with slightly varying means to output high amounts of DPS in a relatively short amount of time.
    While the aliens are so completely different in the way they play that you really have to use every weapon in your arsenal to shape the battlefield to your advantage.
    Use Infestation Spikes to block bullets or trap marines, lay down spores (to blind, cause direct dmg to hp AND take away from a marine's dps output by forcing them to find a spot without gas to hide), spread umbra, bile bomb, ENZYME CLOUD. etc.

I know that marines are typicall seen as the race that requires more teamwork, but in a combat situation I feel that the alien team requires much more communcation and synchronized movements and ideal timings and battlefield modifiers. ESPECIALLY battle modifier, aliens are ALL ABOUT stacking battle modifiers.

What do I mean by battle modifiers? see above: spores, umbra, bile, enzyme cloud, stomp, infestation spike, nutrient mist, poison bite.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ohnojojo wrote: »
    I think something that gets lost in a lot of these threads, comparing one direct variable to another (ie: skulk vs marine. shotgun vs fade. etc.), is that its not taking the entire combat situation into consideration from a holistic point of view.

Most of the people in these kinds of threads seem to do this intentionally to reinforce their complaint. You will constantly read dumb comments comparing skulk dps to lmg dps or onos health to exosuit health or fade cost to shotgun cost without even mentioning the other factors that mitigate these perceived imbalances. You can pretty much write off anyone's post when they say something like "shotgun is 20 pres, how do aliens counter it with 20 pres?!?!" because that is not how the game works.

For example..
    bile bomb: obscured vision, armor loss, potential new targetting priority on gorge
    spores: obscured vision, health loss, potential new aerial targetting priority on lerk
    fades: puncture damage (may be using the obscured vision that bile bomb and spores provides as cover)
    etc. etc.

My point is that while comparing apples to apples is fine, it doesn't ranslate well when comparing the entire basket of apples and oranges.... if that makes sense. I feel like I sound pretenious or something lol.

Personally I like to view the marines as this unstoppable force of ranged DPS and armor.
    A ball of marines with slightly varying means to output high amounts of DPS in a relatively short amount of time.
    While the aliens are so completely different in the way they play that you really have to use every weapon in your arsenal to shape the battlefield to your advantage.
    Use Infestation Spikes to block bullets or trap marines, lay down spores (to blind, cause direct dmg to hp AND take away from a marine's dps output by forcing them to find a spot without gas to hide), spread umbra, bile bomb, ENZYME CLOUD. etc.

I know that marines are typicall seen as the race that requires more teamwork, but in a combat situation I feel that the alien team requires much more communcation and synchronized movements and ideal timings and battlefield modifiers. ESPECIALLY battle modifier, aliens are ALL ABOUT stacking battle modifiers.

What do I mean by battle modifiers? see above: spores, umbra, bile, enzyme cloud, stomp, infestation spike, nutrient mist, poison bite.

Well, the issue with direct comparisons is the same issue with comparing units in Starcraft 2. It's not unit costs X resource. Time to research, different resource value (i've heard the fact alien pres costs more than marine pres), research time, ease of use, etc. Mixing in this with the fact a player's skill effects and you have a VERY DIFFICULT way to directly compare things in NS2. This isn't even counting the fact people's machines are different so they might not be playing it to the same degree (and might actually be handycapping themselves with inferior computers, meaning skill is even MORE variable). The fact of the matter is balance in NS2 is a goal and job for UWE I don't envy and doubt will ever be achieved.

As for the shotgun: It's value goes from 0 to infinity depending on how well a marine can evade and aim. It's VERY similar to the fade in that regard and despite what people say, the even shotgun spread was better to avoid the sniper effect it sometimes produced. Is a shotgun marine strong? Yes, but in the hands of the Fane Tane Pain train, EVERYTHING is strong.

My best advice if you're having problems with it is to wait for the skulk acceleration hotfix and then play it as if it'll be like that situation forever. Meaning you'll have to adapt from then on because we can't predict if UWE will ever change anything in the future.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    Nothing.

But then again I recently saw a 50-3 Fade.
  • AntikaratekidAntikaratekid Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183688Members
    edited March 2013
    Vigilantia wrote: »

For example..
    etc. etc.

Well, the issue with direct comparisons is the same issue with comparing units in Starcraft 2. It's not unit costs X resource. Time to research, different resource value (i've heard the fact alien pres costs more than marine pres), research time, ease of use, etc. Mixing in this with the fact a player's skill effects and you have a VERY DIFFICULT way to directly compare things in NS2. This isn't even counting the fact people's machines are different so they might not be playing it to the same degree (and might actually be handycapping themselves with inferior computers, meaning skill is even MORE variable). The fact of the matter is balance in NS2 is a goal and job for UWE I don't envy and doubt will ever be achieved.

As for the shotgun: It's value goes from 0 to infinity depending on how well a marine can evade and aim. It's VERY similar to the fade in that regard and despite what people say, the even shotgun spread was better to avoid the sniper effect it sometimes produced. Is a shotgun marine strong? Yes, but in the hands of the Fane Tane Pain train, EVERYTHING is strong.

My best advice if you're having problems with it is to wait for the skulk acceleration hotfix and then play it as if it'll be like that situation forever. Meaning you'll have to adapt from then on because we can't predict if UWE will ever change anything in the future.

Can a fade theoretically one shot as many people he has bullets? No. Can he OHK un-upgraded marines? No. But a shotty marine with a jetpack can. For 20 res less.

Good players can use fades well. But they can use the shotty-jet combo far better.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Thing is, jetpacks don't actually accomplish anything.

If light marines can't walk into a hive and down it, jetpack marines won't be able to either. Jetpacks provide nothing but mobility, which is obviously useless when attacking stationery emplacements. To that end, jetpacks are a largely defensive upgrade, counter-intuitively.

Sure, someone with good aim can get a jetpack and fly around the map, one shotting skulks in arb locations, but what is he actually accomplishing for the team?
    edited March 2013
    Nonsense. Are you even thinking what you're saying through?

Mobility will guarantee a longer life for him. Which means that he will be able to put out more DPS and save himself (and his res) in tough situations. If you're the type of fool who stays in one place during firefights then sure. But if you're half smart you are gonna keep moving.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members

A good 30 res lerk will destroy all non-shotgun carrying marines with ease, and a good lerk will bait a shotgunner into an area to be spiked to death in a matter of seconds. If you cannot spike a marine down that is not anyones problem but yours.

PS: Jetpacks are what makes them strong, and yes, they need to cost 15 res. Not 10.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    What do aliens have to compare to the shotgun?
    onos.

Mobility will guarantee a longer life for him. Which means that he will be able to put out more DPS and save himself (and his res) in tough situations. If you're the type of fool who stays in one place during firefights then sure. But if you're half smart you are gonna keep moving. Even outside of fights it will help him reach distant targets faster.

edited March 2013
    If we've gotten to the point of taking the highest lifeform as a comparison for a 30 res combo available far earlier in game then I think this discussion is over.
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Thing is, jetpacks don't actually accomplish anything.

If light marines can't walk into a hive and down it, jetpack marines won't be able to either. Jetpacks provide nothing but mobility, which is obviously useless when attacking stationery emplacements. To that end, jetpacks are a largely defensive upgrade, counter-intuitively.

Sure, someone with good aim can get a jetpack and fly around the map, one shotting skulks in arb locations, but what is he actually accomplishing for the team?

I don't even
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited March 2013

Mobility will guarantee a longer life for him. Which means that he will be able to put out more DPS and save himself (and his res) in tough situations. If you're the type of fool who stays in one place during firefights then sure. But if you're half smart you are gonna keep moving.

Try this next time you are playing with a couple of friends.
    Get the marine team to, above all else, avoid death. Tell everyone on the marine team to prevent their death at any cost imaginable. See how well your team does. See how much of an impact a "longer life" has on victory.

Reading your quote again made me realize that your biggest gripe is probably the players KPD. You simply don't like seeing people having so many kills attached to so few deaths. Unfortunately this isn't CS, it isn't COD. Every encounter between players will not be fair, and that's the way NS is. A 2 minute Lerk can go 30 for 1 without a problem, but the player isn't accomplishing an imbalanced act. He isn't single handedly winning the game, because deaths don't matter, and neither do kills. They can be made to matter, but that isn't easy to do against good players.

AuroN2 wrote: »
    What do aliens have to compare to the shotgun?
    onos.

That's great! And a good jetpack shotty will kill your 30res lerk in one blast and can also bait etc.
    edited March 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »

Try this next time you are playing with a couple of friends.
    Get the marine team to, above all else, avoid death. Tell everyone on the marine team to prevent their death at any cost imaginable. See how well your team does. See how much of an impact a "longer life" has on victory.

You really are hellbent on saying mobility is useless. See how much of an impact something has when everyone is focused on that one person? What a ridiculous response.

In a firefight where skulks, lerks, fades and onos are trying to melee a group of marines, the jetpack ones will survive longer and do more damage. If you don't understand this simple concept, don't bother responding with any more posts.

The only reason why I imagine someone would deny the usefulness of mobility is a perma marine or someone who needs to shut off the computer and get some sleep.