Huge performance hit after this update!

agallochagalloch Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168650Members
I noticed that the game feels sluggish, I have a huge framerate hit, and that skulks feel like moving concrete.

SO far, until this is fixed, an average update.

i7 920 @ 3.3 ghz and a 6990.

Comments

• AaronElAaronEl Join Date: 2009-11-01 Member: 69214Members
    edited March 2013
    i7 2.00 ghz, 4 gb ram and Nvidia 540M GT

I have everything disabled minus AA and have experimented with resolutions as low as 640x400 (UWE, please scale the scoreboard so it doesn't cut off, and game UI so it doesn't block things I need to shoot at such a low res :D). The sad thing is I would be willing to play like this for a consistent 40 fps (hopefully 30 late game) if it was even feasible, but the game is obviously not designed for it.

Having just installed new drivers and PhysX earlier today, I was almost satisfied with about 30 fps with slight drops in combat.

Gorgeous brings me down to less than 20 just running around. It's just bad enough that I can't play at all. I pre-ordered this game before Steam and was ready to play it. Upgrading isn't an option for me, as I'm on a laptop and have priorities as a student over a desktop purely for gaming.

I've tried everything in the performance tips thread with not much success.
  • DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
    edited March 2013
    resolution doenst matter when you are cpu bottlenecked. thats why this game is failing. competetive mp game, but needs a richie rich rig. there's a reason why all popular pro gaming oriented titles scale down to older PC's. something ns 2 failed to realize after they dropped source engine and made this abomination.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Drowningw please only post in technical support if you have helpful and accurate information, thank you.

@agalloch : I need a lot more info, please see the stickied Known issues thread on how to provide a DXDIAG.
    Also, it would be helpful if while suffering low fps you typed "profile" in the console to get a screenshot of whats going on. Instructions on how to use it properly are here.
    Thanks
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Skulks feeling like concrete is intended, if you play in windowed no border the build has a bug that forces vsync on. Try fullscreen if you're noticing a frame ceiling.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Good catch jekt, but to be more clear: If you play in any window mode BUT fullscreen your fps will be capped to 60fps.
    Perhaps its worth trying OP?