Natural Selection 2 - Build 239 Released!

2»

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Nice job on the quick release. Now fix my problem with my Flayra's face loading icon not working, so I can gaze upon his face as I load into games.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Nice. Is the animation compression a lossless or lossy one?
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    edited February 2013
    my registry has gotten worse... keep dying around corners.. or getting hit when im clearly not in the marines view... havent had this issue before.

*edit* fps didn't drop (maybe went up?) and ping is still the same, so it's neither of those.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    lamb wrote: »
    Still no fix for the Robotics, really?
    You mean not being able to cancel stuff?
  • ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Nice. Is the animation compression a lossless or lossy one?

This pass on animation compression is completely Lossless. It basically removes duplicate animations from memory. Mostly, this technique reduced the size of the 3rd person marine model by ~75% and other animated models by ~10% or less.

Steve is doing another pass on animation compression (for the next build) which so far is looking perdy good and seems to have a worthwhile impact on performance. It is slightly Lossy at the moment but we'll be looking to make sure that the animations will still look awesome.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Sampson wrote: »
    my registry has gotten worse... keep dying around corners.. or getting hit when im clearly not in the marines view... havent had this issue before.

*edit* fps didn't drop (maybe went up?) and ping is still the same, so it's neither of those.

Around the corner dying is normal. It depends on your ping AND your opponents ping. the upside is, when you shoot at something on your screen, you will hit. When you get shot around the corner your opponent actually sees you on his screen (not yet around the corner).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So...hitreg is client side now?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not this easy. There are 3 realities. Yours, that of the server and that of the person you shoot. All get the data at different times. Because it needs to be send over wired cables and through many routers. But the check if you hit or not isn't only client side. The server stores a history of the past. So if you shoot, and send the server that you hit, the server looks in his history and checks if you could hit at that time you sent the package to it. If everything is right, the server informs you and the target over the successful hit.
  • FluttershyFluttershy Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176015Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    love the new build i finally can play the game without lag from pc proformance
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »
    lamb wrote: »
    Still no fix for the Robotics, really?

Yes, really. Devs are aware & it will get fixed soon.
    It was reported 3 or 4 builds ago, hence the attitude.

• Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Since build 238 / 239, i have each day few rounds where the game freeze (connexion lost red icon) and after 30 seconds it resynch with the server and i can play again.

I am not the only one to report this and not all the players are affected (they got easy target..).
    Now the question is why this bug appears and affects only some players and not all of them ?
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    Since build 238 / 239, i have each day few rounds where the game freeze (connexion lost red icon) and after 30 seconds it resynch with the server and i can play again.

I am not the only one to report this and not all the players are affected (they got easy target..).
    Now the question is why this bug appears and affects only some players and not all of them ?

I've also been experiencing this on the YO clan server but only on this one, so I'm thinking it's more server-related than anything.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    I assume this has already been reported but just in case I will say: blink no longer needs to be researched, it is just available as soon as you got fade. I don't know if this is true in every game but I have gone fade several times now before the comm has upgraded blink and I have blink right from the get go.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    As commander, you will be unable to place a structure if you currently have a structure selected that is under construction.

So, if you place a crag on the map, and select it, and it is still in the process of building, then click the shortcut harvester icon and try to place it, it will not place until the crag completes building, or you deselect the crag.
  • best_jeppebest_jeppe Sweden Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173391Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not sure where to post this but I noticed that you can't play in Explore Mode alone because of the 2 commander requirement for starting a game. Noticed it today when I was going to play a bit of explore mode to get a feel for the commander-mode. Is there any way to circumvent this until UW fix this?
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    best_jeppe wrote: »
    I noticed that you can't play in Explore Mode alone because of the 2 commander requirement for starting a game.
    Just enter in console cheats 1

Personally I don't use the Explore Mode. For testing purposes I prefer to create own server and enter in console the following commands:
    cheats 1
    tres
    pres
    autobuild
    alltech
  • best_jeppebest_jeppe Sweden Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173391Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Uzver wrote: »
    best_jeppe wrote: »
    I noticed that you can't play in Explore Mode alone because of the 2 commander requirement for starting a game.
    Just enter in console cheats 1

Personally I don't use the Explore Mode. For testing purposes I prefer to create own server and enter in console the following commands:
    cheats 1
    tres
    pres
    autobuild
    alltech

Thanks. That worked beautifully.