PRES SYSTEM

SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
edited December 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">REWARD instead of PUNISH players</div>The current<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro--> PRES (personal resources)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> system is as follows:
You receive <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->0.125 every 6 seconds<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> per <!--coloro:#800080--><span style="color:#800080"><!--/coloro-->RT (resource tower)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> your team has constructed.
When you die you will not receive any more PRES until you are alive again.

Being punished, because you contribute to the team, is just horrendous.
Dieing, while defending or attacking, leads to less pres.

You get rewarded for playing like a coward, leaving fights early or not engaging at all.
There are actual players who do that. They just sit back, parasite and let their team fight.

Do you know what is hilarious?!
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->AFK players<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> get the <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->most PRES<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. Just <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->golden<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.

get rid of the current system and replace is for something like:

for every kill (also known as: Resources per kill (RFK)), you receive one extra tick of the amount of harvesters you currently have.
1 RT = 0.125 PRES per kill (ppk)
3 RTs = 0.375 ppk
5 RTs = 0.625 ppk

<!--coloro:#FF00FF--><span style="color:#FF00FF"><!--/coloro-->MY FAVORITE:<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
A system, which "<b>converts</b>" 10% of your points into PRES.
so every kill gives you 0.5 PRES. and destroying an RT equals 1.5 PRES

You get <!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro-->rewarded for<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> helping your team, e.g. by <!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro-->killing, destroying or constructing<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.

It is insanly boring to fight or build structures. Hugh (a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD" target="_blank">youtuber</a> and a <b><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showuser=71444" target="_blank">MEMBER of the UWE staff</a></b>) even skipped destroying RTs and said in a video, that it was boring for the viewer. He chose not to complement his team. How many players out there do that. They think they gain nothing by doing that. In the end, they are here for their amusement. Combat that behaviour. Encourage players to DO something.

Greetings

Comments

• TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    +1

It's bizarre how weird some of the current mechanics are for rewarding bull######.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    More RFK the more extractors you have is worsening the slippery slope effect ns2 already has. Or in other words, it makes comebacks even more impossible.

RFP could work with a refined/improved point system, in any case, you should get res in any case, otherwise the game will not work out.

If you want to address that the current system is flawed, then your method is not the way to go. The intention behind it was to "reward" good players who stay alive and penalize dieing.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You get rewarded for playing like a coward, leaving fights early or not engaging at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The only "reward" for that is that you lose. Think twice, man ;)

RFK only leads to early fades (op), has bee tried. Nobody wants that 15:2 k/d'er to go fade while everybody else is stuck with 20 res, and REMAINS stuck with 20 res, because the F***ing FADE is killing even more now (surprised?) Not to mention the frustration on the marine's side - because thanx to the RFK system they can't even afford a shotgun now.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    With 20 pres, you should be able to buy a shotgun and kill that fade.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    yeah i don't enjoy the current system at all - and i'd totally be willing to try a new system.

perhaps to stop the slippery slope thing, you could make it that you don't gain RFK as a more advanced lifeform - lerk/fade/onos - so you have to go back to being a skulk for a while.

or perhaps the RFK goes to Tres instead while you are a fade/onos something like that.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    The Points would need reworking, and some other stuff... But I like the ress for points!
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    So you want me to grind RTs ?

Uhhh...

If the scoring system was DMG based sure... but if you grind a RT as a lerk and a skulk comes in at the end and takes it, its just a piss off.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048559:date=Dec 20 2012, 05:01 PM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ Dec 20 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More RFK the more extractors you have is worsening the slippery slope effect ns2 already has. Or in other words, it makes comebacks even more impossible.

RFP could work with a refined/improved point system, in any case, you should get res in any case, otherwise the game will not work out.

If you want to address that the current system is flawed, then your method is not the way to go. The intention behind it was to "reward" good players who stay alive and penalize dieing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nice intention, but you do not get rewarded. I usually lead the scoreboard but often end up with less PRES than the rest of my team, hence good players are not getting rewarded.
    But the point is you even get "rewarded" for being AFK or playing bad (cowardly)

Talking about comebacks:
    with the RFP system combacks would be more likely than with the current one, because if you were under siege you would get almost no PRES, due to the fact taht you only have one or two RTs and die constantly defending the base.
    But with RFP you would get PRES even when you are dead and on top you get PRES for killing enemy structures which are placed near your base and for killing players/lifeforms.

It's not rare that 3 Oni run into your turtle base and die in the process.
    And the enemies do not need any more RES, due to the fact that they already have the whole map covered and can waste howmuch they like.

@ melancor:
    why are they stuck on 20 PRES?!
    they would receive PRES from the regular ticks of their RTs even when they are dead.
    Furthermore 15 kills would only be 7 PRES
    still a long way until your fade. And you can always adjust the numbers

This is a suggestion on teh current points. Maybe it's 3 points for every kill when this system was introduced for balancing purposes. I do not know.

My point is just that the current system is not good. It encourages bad behaviour.
    In a recent post somewhen confirmed my statement about people, who just sit back. He parasites from afar.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2049186:date=Dec 21 2012, 01:27 PM:name=Csae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Csae @ Dec 21 2012, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you want me to grind RTs ?

Uhhh...

If the scoring system was DMG based sure... but if you grind a RT as a lerk and a skulk comes in at the end and takes it, its just a piss off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For alot of persons it <b>already</b> is.
    And you should never kill RTs as a lerk in teh first place. =)

Furthermore, you HAVE to kill enemy RTs! Harassment is VERY important in this game!
    And this system even would provide you with the MOTVATION to do just that!

It's very easy to combat last hit thefts. 15 points for 100% damage. Divide it however necessary. Or the person with the most damage dealt just receives all.
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    edited December 2012
    I would like to experiment with a system where you get pRes for killing things in such a way as to encourage comebacks...

So when you kill the onos, you get a dualie to push out with... or well.. part of the res to type deal, but its tricky... and definitely not the standard ns2 play where competitively beating your opponent into the ground is the norm.
  • proteinstainproteinstain Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24349Members
    this needs to be tested it sounds like a good idea on paper this deserve's a chance.
  • KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    I don't understand why you don't get P.Res. while dead, what is the purpose of that? Why not just have P.Res. ticking globally for your entire team whether or not they are alive or dead?
  • FononFonon Join Date: 2012-12-08 Member: 174505Members
    they could just remove the comm for aliens and make gorges decide the upgrades (like in NS1), Also remove the p.res for marine so the comm have to drop shotties/jps/exos etc. This would force players to use teamwork and (as in NS1 you have almost the same players playing on the same server all the time) wich you as a comm/george can communicate/decide on who builds what and who gets what.
  • KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they could just remove the comm for aliens<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a major reworking of the game.

No.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    i agree with this topic 100%.

i don't know about RFK ( or resource for points ) system though, could make larger gap between good and less good players making it even more stomp game for better players.

but definetly, PR income should continue whatever you're dead or not.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    pres loss for dying was introduced as a way to help stagger pres per alien and stop tech explosions

just come up with a better way to deal with tech explosions
  • upperdemoonupperdemoon Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163147Members
    edited January 2013
    1) RFK: NO! This encourages lone wolfs, because if you are in a group the chance will be that someone kills the enemy before you. It will also make good players get even better upgrades faster!

2) Pres while death: NO! as someone said before, this will allow alien lifeforces on the field EVEN FASTER! What the current system encourages to do, is to harass the enemy, but try to survive and know when to run away. If you think you are helping the team with jumping in the enemy base without attacking anything then you are wrong. Also, you must die A LOT for it to notice, i die quite a bit, and i can easily become the 1st or 2nd onos. (TIP: if you see 2/3 marines, and you are alone, run!)

EDIT: also, they tried it with the unofficial patch (the Pres while death), and it DIDN'T work, the alien lifeforms where on the field VERY early, and they removed it again, so it was tried but didn't work.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048413:date=Dec 20 2012, 02:32 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Dec 20 2012, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you know what is hilarious?!
    <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->AFK players<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> get the <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->most PRES<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. Just <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->golden<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes this is silly. I see people do silly things like join a team and then nick off for the first few mins of the match because of it.
    Hell if I need to have a drink/dunny break I usually join a team before I take that break for the same reason. I don't make a habit of it, I find the first couple of minutes of vanilla skulks vs A0 W0 marines a lot of fun.

I would prefer to see it mitigated by say no more P.res if player does not move for 30 seconds (obviously they will start to get it again once they move by at least x distance), and then force them to ready room after 2 mins of afk, and then kick them from server after 3 mins afk in ready room.

RFK or RFD would only further snowball the winning and losing process.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2013
    Problem with RFK is the problem that all MOBAs have: feeders.

Players that are new to the game and die a lot will directly have a negative impact on their team mates because they <b>make the enemy more powerful</b>. And it would create an antipathy towards new players that is common with such mechanics.

To quote a Penny Arcade episode on the topic "Balancing for Skill":
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think a good example of a whole genre that seems to INTENTIONALLY neglect this important step is the MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) sometimes called "tower defense" games. Titles like Super Monday Night Combat, Defense of the Ancients, and the like. The problem is, they depend so heavily upon teamwork while simultaneously weighting their gameplay balance VERY heavily towards early game mistakes, and because of this combination, the sort of mistakes which, for a first-timer, are almost impossible to avoid making are looked upon by regulars as so unforgivable that longtime veterans will rage LOUDLY at first-timers for making mistakes that no newcomer could POSSIBLY know to avoid, let-alone HOW to avoid, that the only time one can get into the game without getting angrily mobbed out is when the game is first released. The whole genre's gameplay mechanic only serves to amplify the tendency to suffer newbies poorly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No pRes while dead just punishes the player who is new and dies a lot.
    RFK indirectly punishes the entire team of the player who is new and dies a lot.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    RFK is also bad because of the frequency of skulk deaths. This would also discourage aggressive play on the alien side, no one would want to be the "bait" in a skulk rush because they don't want to give "free RFK" to the marines.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    I have to agree that the current System is bull######. But RFK is just another bad solution. Particularly with that current cruel designed scoresystem.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055277:date=Jan 3 2013, 08:25 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 3 2013, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.
    RFK indirectly punishes the entire team of the player who is new and dies a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

rfk would cause more problems than it will solve.
    Alot of good arguements.
    Most people here are against RFK.

I would like to hear your thoughts on RFP, as this is my primary suggestion.
    NEWSFLASH:

Source:
    <a href="http://http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108447514" target="_blank">Official Upcoming Balance Mod</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removed Res While Dead (want to try this first before addressing lifeform explosion)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->