sv_visiblemaxplayers

CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
It would appear to me that this is missing functionality from the engine that would be very beneficial. This command in hl/cs would allows you to set what the visible max players was of the server to the outside world, which was great for reserved slot system.

You set the real maxplayers to e.g. 20 then sv_visiblemaxplayers to 18, then you have two reserved slots which nobody can see.

The major benefit of this is that it doesn't disrupt normal players joining a server. To them it looks like there is 18/18 people on the server, so it's full, which it is to them. They can use the normal server browser GUI to join the server without issue.

People who own the server and have reserved slots can then join the server via the console to bypass the GUI. This transfers the disruption on joining to the people who have the reserved slot, not random players.

The alternatives in use at the moment due to lack of this cvar is that the server is passworded when e.g 18 slots are used of a 20 player server. This stops people connecting, but also stops people from setting the browser to auto join when a slot opens and also stops them finding it if they have set in the browser not to show passworded servers which I assume most people would do.

Whether you like reserved slots or not, they are here so it would be wise to make it as non disruptive to average player as normal.

I'd put this in the suggestions forum or google moderator but I doubt anyone there would really understand what I was going on about, so kind of pointless.

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123154" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=123154</a>