Does the Khammander fight more with bugs than the Commander?

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
There is one things that really infuriates me in games: losing because of something I can't do anything about. Especially bugs.

Unfortunately it appears that marines are pretty much bug-free while the aliens got most of them. Correct me if I am wrong here. :)

So, which of these did you already come across?
<ul><li>Can't build cysts along certain paths.
Not only do cysts need to be in the radius of another cyst but actually seem to require a walkable path between them. And unfortunately do buildings generously block that path. While this would make somewhat sense for marine buildings, it also applies to your own buildings. I already managed to block the bridge in Docking's Courtyard with a Shade so that I could not build past it anymore. And for whatever reason are aliens unable to sell their structures or at least to destroy them after having them place at a bad location.

It's not just caused by buildings, though. There are cases where a narrow path is just blocked by itself. Congrats, you just indefinitely lost the ability to expand in a certain direction. The doorway in Topological on Veil is sometimes such a candidate.
</li><li>Some structures don't get cloaked properly.
Frankly is this most likely to happen to the Shade itself, or some nearby cysts. They simply won't cloak. Never ever. Until that Shade is destroyed and maybe rebuilt.
This can really mess up surprise expansions completely because every marine will of course instantly take that Shade down or order a full scan and ruin any clever backdooring attempts you might wanted to pull off with a Shift while the enemy is knocking at your base's door.
Sometimes it uncloaks in intervals, like when it's not on infestation (and of course it actually is, since it's not losing any health).
</li><li>Getting stuck somewhere.
This one has screwed me over the most thus far. Luckily it only happened once.
I was trying to go up as Skulk on the outside wall in Landing Pad on Docking and gorge'd up on the top in an attempt to cream the power node through the broken window. Unfortunately for the Gorge is the slope on that window just a little bit too steep to not slide straight into the abyss below. Well, down there I landed on some kind of platform that seemed large enough to evolve back to a Skulk and climb the wall up again. But going from Gorge to Skulk there eventually got me stuck in the window from the outside.

I asked other players if there was a console command for suiciding, but they didn't know any. "suicide" did not work. And it was a stock server, so there was no "unstuck" either.
So my only choice was to F4 and go back into the game. Which was already made harder by the fact that the marines were two players down at that point, so I could not just easily get back into the match.
When I actually made it back, the next bad surprise came: instead of the 80 res that I had just a minute ago, I was back to 20 res for starters now. Seriously game? :/
That Onos could have severely impacted the outcome of the match because the marines were pushing Generator while we had a Hive in Cafeteria. But those res were missing now and a few minutes later they got Exos up and actually won the match. Felt really bitter at that point.</li></ul>

Anyone else encountered other annoying bugs that could impact the outcome of a match?
(And is there a suicide command now or is there not?)

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    The console command you were looking for is "kill"
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    I've been in a couple games that I've heard people say a marine was stuck in, not sure in what way, if they went somewhere they couldn't get out of or if they were wedged somewhere or what.

On aliens I have had this happen a few times and have seen it happen to other aliens a few times. It seems to be mostly gorges and onoses. I've learned a few tricks to get out, usually involves clogs and evolving (so it forces you to evolve somewhere else, sort of like the unstuck feature).

I have been curious, if anyone knows, is it worth while to take screenshots or anything of stuck aliens so the developers get a look out what gets an alien stuck?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You've apparently never dropped many roof or under floor medpacks. The alien comm hasn't cornered the market in comm-related bugs.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036819:date=Nov 28 2012, 05:52 PM:name=LilbitHeartless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LilbitHeartless @ Nov 28 2012, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been in a couple games that I've heard people say a marine was stuck in, not sure in what way, if they went somewhere they couldn't get out of or if they were wedged somewhere or what.

On aliens I have had this happen a few times and have seen it happen to other aliens a few times. It seems to be mostly gorges and onoses. I've learned a few tricks to get out, usually involves clogs and evolving (so it forces you to evolve somewhere else, sort of like the unstuck feature).

I have been curious, if anyone knows, is it worth while to take screenshots or anything of stuck aliens so the developers get a look out what gets an alien stuck?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just type <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->annotate stuck here<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--> in console. The mapmaker will be able to see it when it next looks at the map, and fix it accordingly.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036866:date=Nov 29 2012, 09:00 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 29 2012, 09:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've apparently never dropped many roof or under floor medpacks. The alien comm hasn't cornered the market in comm-related bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol this. for sometime i dun even drop stuffs.either they end up below the infestation layer or stuck somewhere objects.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    There's a few good bugs for both. I've never had a shade not work though, at least one that I couldn't blame on a marine observatory near by.

Anti onos armories getting stuck on the ledge above doors is pretty fun :P

I have some pretty weird bugs with drifters and macs though. They seem EXTREMELY picky about when to move to a location they've been ordered to and when to do something utterly retarded instead. I'd REALLY like a "follow player" option in both cases. Especially since drifters are supposed to be able to attack marines, they get confused and stand around idiotically SO often.
  • Zora-LinkZora-Link Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036866:date=Nov 28 2012, 08:00 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 28 2012, 08:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've apparently never dropped many roof or under floor medpacks. The alien comm hasn't cornered the market in comm-related bugs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have had whips and cysts get stuck on the roof though.

Arguably even more annoying with the whips, since that's 15 resources down the drain.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036887:date=Nov 28 2012, 08:36 PM:name=Zora-Link)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zora-Link @ Nov 28 2012, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have had whips and cysts get stuck on the roof though.

Arguably even more annoying with the whips, since that's 15 resources down the drain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All structures can get stuck in the roof. Although, marines have the advantage with the ability to recycle.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    LoL Swift, ever had a drifter climb above the map?

Takes up a hive pop slot (not used for much at the mo ... glaring at onos) ... won't move after, happens mostly on the most radical maps ... cave, tram etc.

Jst when you though you had a grip on the 'enemies have ranged weapons' problem, your 3 Tres drifter actually manages to CLIMB out of a map. Havent seen that apart from in ME2. it's like the 'sticky collision detect bug from hell' ... don't have enough apostrophies to note how appallingly annoying it is.
  • iUsurperiUsurper Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170108Members
    I've had cysts get stuck on roofs, doesn't bother me too much as it's just 1 res. The pathing can be a bit annoying like on Mineshaft and sorting having to run all the way up the ramps. I have also placed whips too close to corners etc and they simply don't attack at all (yep, realised later I should've just uprooted it just pointing it out).

I've noticed getting stuck has decreased. As marines a lot of the time it's due to a comm placing a PG in a poor position. The worst place I know of is Docking in courtyard, if you try jump behind the container to get to the power node it's almost a 100% chance to get stuck.

The only experience I've had getting stuck as alien is when playing a gorge, I tried jumping over/between two whips and got completely stuck.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Now try that jump as onos, see how annoying metal bars can be in this game ...
  • DumbMarineDumbMarine Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13645Members
    edited November 2012
    I sometimes select all drifters when trying to micro drifters around. This results in every drifter on the map heading to the location I selected, and many often don't make it as they float past the marines they were watching. I have the same problem with MACs, but I usually don't lose MACs when that happens because they aren't sitting cloaked in enemy hives. I have the same problem with cysts-- I will select the one I want, and the game will select all cysts, and I will hit rupture, and every cyst on screen will rupture. Not what I wanted.

Also, selecting things can be a pain sometimes, especially if they're not on the center of the screen. Sometimes drifters become unselectable unless I box them. Marine's standing on cysts make it harder to select them for popping. Telling drifters & whips to move close to walls will sometimes register as "go through the wall" or something and they will just flat out ignore me.

One thing marines don't have to deal with, trying to find camoflagued buildings. Spawning onos eggs is tough when every thing I click on is actually a crag or a shell. I want to spawn eggs, where's the shift? Is this whip upgraded? Where's that drifter I just built? Combine with drifter unselectability for extra fun!
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2036802:date=Nov 28 2012, 06:34 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Nov 28 2012, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does the Khammander fight more with bugs than the Commander?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure if you call placing shades in the ceiling a problem :P.

Seriously though this needs fixed I feel so dirty when I'm khamm and it happens. :(
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    health packs in this build are totally bugged and this needs to be fixed asap. You can't drop meds on marines as they will just bounce off and land on the floor, your cursor has collision with marines as well. This is a huge nerf to marines and marine play at a high level is almost broken because of it.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The map with Crossroads doesn't let you build cysts down the glass "something" ramp. You are always cut off from heading to atrium from the right-most res area.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036896:date=Nov 28 2012, 07:08 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Nov 28 2012, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LoL Swift, ever had a drifter climb above the map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am working alot with drifters and this happend to me every 2. - 3. game.

Those sensless "shortcuts" for buildings around the hives are stupid. That icons are YELLOW on YELLOW ground and u have to keep the eyes open to not build or upgrade something accidently. Fail-design deluxe. The whole UI for commander/khammander is cruel. Cant see any improvements compared to NS1. UWE badly needs an GUI-programmer with some knowledge.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2037254:date=Nov 29 2012, 12:01 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Nov 29 2012, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those sensless "shortcuts" for buildings around the hives are stupid. That icons are YELLOW on YELLOW ground and u have to keep the eyes open to not build or upgrade something accidently. Fail-design deluxe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This! It's the most frustrating thing for me when comming, though now I'm aware of it I'm much more careful with how I click (but that sure slows everything down!). Where's my shift? What? A shade hive? Oh crap... New strategy time...

Not good!

So many of my friends who've tried comming for the first time have found this, and it's been impossible to get them to do upgrades - they might accidentally get an upgrade, and you're trying to explain where to click, but they don't have the options because it's all gone horribly wrong before that point. As if it's not complicated enough with the variety of weak-sauce alien structures required to do even the simplest of things! :)

Roo
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've seen a bug where the marines had W1 (with the icon to the right of the screen), but the arms lab was missing the W2 upgrade button (while the W3 upgrade button was greyed out because of W2 'has not yet been researched'). We tried recycling the arms lab, and building a new one... no dice. Needless to say, we ended up holding out for a good hour and change with just W1 in Flow Control on Refinery.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037265:date=Nov 29 2012, 11:38 AM:name=Roobubba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roobubba @ Nov 29 2012, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This! It's the most frustrating thing for me when comming, though now I'm aware of it I'm much more careful with how I click (but that sure slows everything down!). Where's my shift? What? A shade hive? Oh crap... New strategy time...

Not good!

So many of my friends who've tried comming for the first time have found this, and it's been impossible to get them to do upgrades - they might accidentally get an upgrade, and you're trying to explain where to click, but they don't have the options because it's all gone horribly wrong before that point. As if it's not complicated enough with the variety of weak-sauce alien structures required to do even the simplest of things! :)

Roo<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know you can turn that crap off, right? Go to the options menu, it should be under general or something, it's called 'Commander Help'.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where's that drifter I just built? Combine with drifter unselectability for extra fun!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you look at the right side of the screen as alien comm, see that box where you can select tabs and choose to build cysts, harvesters, etc.? Look at the upper left corner of the box, you should see a drifter icon. Click that drifter icon to cycle through your drifters.