Jetpacks

RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">instead of webbing or any other ability</div>I had this idea while in game,

What about jetpacks only providing upward and forward trust ei: cant jetpack backwards?

Comments

• Lim3sLim3s Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160712Members
    I think the whole part of jetpacks is to give marines the ability to move in all directions quickly, as opposed to being slowed down when moving backwards on foot. I think changing it would just make it redundant.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    I want to shut this idea down but honestly my mind is being blown by the idea. Lore wise, it's a stupid idea. Newb wise, it's a stupid idea. Game design wise... I like it a lot.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    What does this accomplish to offset the implied counter of webbing? It does nothing but makes the jetpack clumsy and awkward to use while doing little to limit it's anti-Hive offensive abilities.

In addition it specifically weakens an already weak counter to early Onos (the current strategy this game is based around, one way or the other).
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022930:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:39 AM:name=Lim3s)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lim3s @ Nov 14 2012, 08:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the whole part of jetpacks is to give marines the ability to move in all directions quickly, as opposed to being slowed down when moving backwards on foot. I think changing it would just make it redundant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not redundant. If it were redundant, you would have no preference over RiceEater's jetpack and just being on the ground.

How about instead of limiting backwards movement, we simply limit air control to a degree? You can still go backwards while jetpacking, it's just that it would be more predictable. Hitting jetpackers is still REALLY hard to do with a skulk/fade, and even more so when they're properly equipped with a shotty. Retaining some ability to go backwards would allow you to take down Onii.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    I really don't intend to sound condescending, so please don't take it that way.. but I think you need to simply get better at the game.

You don't have to be an otherworldly pro to skulk down a jet packer. I should know, I can do it no problem and I'm nothing of note.

There has to be a skill curve, not progressing on it immediately isn't grounds to simplify it.
  • Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    This might sound odd but... it's actually pretty easy to kill jetpackers as an Onos. All you have to do is jump into them, you have a surprising amount of range as an Onos.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited November 2012
    I'd love to see the the Gorge web ability from NS1.
    opposing to OP

<!--QuoteBegin-http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Natural_Selection/Alien_lifeforms#Web+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Natural_Selection/Alien_lifeforms#Web)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Not really an attack, but a potent defense nonetheless. A Marine caught in a web wont be able to shoot, and have his movement slowed to a crawl. This effect lasts for quite a few seconds. Obviously, this will cause any assault to pretty much stop in its tracks, and the victims will be easy prey. Each string of webbing will disappear after it has entangled someone, so they will occasionally need to be replaced. Also, there is a limit to how many webs each time can have, so don't go crazy. Welders and Grenade Launchers can destroy webs.

To use webs, simply fire at the points you want the web string to connect to. So if you want a web to stretch from the floor to the ceiling, simply fire at the floor, and then at the ceiling. Note that there is a limit to how long the string can be.

Webs and Offense Chambers (here: Hydras) can be lethal weapons. Simply create a web trap for Marines to stumble upon, and then put an offense chamber (Hydra) nearby.

Webs are also lethal to Jetpacks, since they'll simply fall if they hit one - and thus easy prey for Skulks, Fades, and other lifeforms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you could have 3-5 webs. I do not know how many exactly.
    and with flamethrowers there is an additional way of removing them
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i dont really want to post in this thread, because the op sucks...

but just gotta say that although i don't think the jetpack is OP, i do think that it's too powerful as a catalyst to further cripple the aliens when they fall slightly behind - especially when they lose their lerks and fades and are stuck with skulks.

web does seem like a very 'kharaa' way to counter the jetpack, it's sneaky and cunning. i like the web idea and i really hope it makes it into the first content patch.
  • Rico1Rico1 NS Oldtimer Join Date: 2002-05-24 Member: 664Members
    Gorges used to be able to web in NS1.

I have no freaking idea why this is not part of NS2. It was a great feature and made them useful. Not to mention it would give flamethrowers an extra use as well, as a freebie.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023171:date=Nov 14 2012, 10:29 AM:name=Rico1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rico1 @ Nov 14 2012, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges used to be able to web in NS1.

I have no freaking idea why this is not part of NS2. It was a great feature and made them useful. Not to mention it would give flamethrowers an extra use as well, as a freebie.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because the idea behind NS2 was to completely destroy the gorge.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Why is this not in Ideas and Suggestions?