Blinking through walls

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Or how we can set the Fade apart from other lifeforms</div>Why not give the Fade the ability to <b>blink through walls</b>?
When doing so, the distance Blink can travel could be cut in half for the wall thickness, so you could only blink through thin walls and would otherwise stop at the wall if you can't make it to the other side. Or the energy consumption could be doubled when Blink goes through geometry.

This would surely make some interesting changes to gameplay and turn the Fade into something better than a less stealthy but expensive Skulk. It could blink through walls into spots that the marines have not covered with their turrets, basically ambushing them from directions they never expected (Nanogrid walls anyone?). Only obs could give them some protection against that.
It would also give the Fade somewhat more of an ability to get quickly in an out before the marines notice and getting a wall between you and your chasers would come a long way for staying alive. Basically make Shadow Step the ability for combat use and Blink the ability for movement use.
Fades would get a purpose and role that offers tactics to them that no other lifeform could fill in and make the 50 pres actually a worthy investment.

Comments

• Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    -1. It's hard enough to kill fades as it is.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    +1. It's too easy to kill Fades.

I would probably suggest allowing Shadow Step to go through walls instead of Blink however; Fades are already too crippled by not having Blink, it doesn't need to be made even more important.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited November 2012
    Terrible idea for many reasons.

1) Means you cannot intentionally box a fade into a room.

2) Mappers did not design things to be blinked through, would lead to loads of problems.

3) Means marines can never estimate when a fade will appear, or where it can go. Removes all skill for either side.

There are plenty of good ways to buff the fade and give it a more solid role, this is not it.
  • JeehaoJeehao Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168294Members
    To blink through walls would be to overpowered. Why should you be able to blink through solid objects?

Fades can already fly alround in the air with the blink ability. Just blink with strange movements and you will probably survive.
  • thedoommarinethedoommarine Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169634Members
    Fades are good enough as it is.

If you think Fades need a buff, you're playing Fades wrong. They are hit and run roles. They aren't made to destroy buildings or armies. They are the Predators in this game.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    fades should so be able to hang on the ceiling like bats :P
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
    Lets make the Onos have the ability to blink as well. What's next? Give skulks the ability to teleport!
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    Fade is a horribly underpowered unit, it is basically a skulk except it is a little bit more durable.

As a marine, would you pay 50 res for a gimmicky weapon that is only a little bit better than your default weapon?

Didn't think so. Compared to the Onos there is no reason at all to bother going for fade.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    Fade is a horribly underpowered unit, it is basically a skulk except it is a little bit more durable.

As a marine, would you pay 50 res for a gimmicky weapon that is only a little bit better than your default weapon?

Didn't think so. Compared to the Onos there is no reason at all to bother going for fade.
  • RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
    I've played Fade countless times. The maximum amount of Marines I can fight simultaneously is 2. If said Marines have shotguns and good aim I can only fight 1 at the time. So I doubt that it needs a boost in power. The main reasons I've died is because of my inability to play it properly. Example A: I get stuck and can't escape in time. Example B: I forget my escape route because I'm not used to the map yet and end up bumping into Marine after Marine. Example C: I get too ballsy and stay in for too long. Compared to the second and third example, though, the first example happens far too often.
    <!--quoteo(post=2020332:date=Nov 11 2012, 06:32 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 11 2012, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade is a horribly underpowered unit, it is basically a skulk except it is a little bit more durable.

Didn't think so. Compared to the Onos there is no reason at all to bother going for fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fade are only underpowered if players dont know how to pick:

*Regeneration
    *Camouflage
    *Celerity/Adrenaline

Fade is an assassin! Just step in to camo and stalk marines until you can strike them in the back.
    If you need to escape, then you can just blink away in some strange pattern that the enemy wont understand.

When you get hurt, Then just Blink to a safe spot and heal up. And voila! You are ready to kill some more marines..
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    the idea is cool, but for technical reasons I can't see a way of making it work as OP described (as cool and fun for the fade as it would be).

perhaps the vortex ability (or even a new ability) to open up portals could work.

e.g. drop a vortex somewhere on the map, then drop another vortex somewhere else - and it works basically just like the p0rtal gun (except maybe you can't see the other side)

so you could use it either set up a mega mindf**k zone to attack from, or use as an easy escape back to the hive
    <!--quoteo(post=2020341:date=Nov 12 2012, 01:42 PM:name=Jeehao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeehao @ Nov 12 2012, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade are only underpowered if players dont know how to pick:

*Regeneration
    *Camouflage
    *Celerity/Adrenaline

Fade is an assassin! Just step in to camo and stalk marines until you can strike them in the back.
    If you need to escape, then you can just blink away in some strange pattern that the enemy wont understand.

When you get hurt, Then just Blink to a safe spot and heal up. And voila! You are ready to kill some more marines..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

celerity / carapace / silence is much better for fade - you can constantly do hit and runs with blink :D

i've seen 6 person squads wittled down in a very short time by a good fade player
    actually a cooler idea would be to be able to send out a blinking illusionary clone for the fade. that would be mental.

e.g. double click and hold the blink button, and fade turns invisible, but for the marines it would look like the fade is blinking into the next room.

release the blink button and you reappear ready to attack from behind, since everyone would have tried to shoot down the illusionary blinking fade.
    <!--quoteo(post=2020357:date=Nov 11 2012, 07:02 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 11 2012, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->celerity / carapace / silence is much better for fade - you can constantly do hit and runs with blink :D

i've seen 6 person squads wittled down in a very short time by a good fade player<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea well I prefer to have self healing and stealthy attacks instead of running back to base 24/7 only because something shot me.
    Regen gives full health in some seconds. And then it is just to go back with camo and slay some more and then back to stealth and wait for full health and repeat :]

If you play against some good marine then he will slay you pretty fast if he gets the first hit, But if you have stealth then that will probably not happen if you don't walk into a scan or some room with radar, it does not help to run silently if people can see you coming.
    <!--quoteo(post=2020364:date=Nov 12 2012, 02:11 PM:name=Jeehao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeehao @ Nov 12 2012, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea well I prefer to have self healing and stealthy attacks instead of running back to base 24/7 only because something shot me.
    Regen gives full health in some seconds. And then it is just to go back with camo and slay some more and then back to stealth and wait for full health and repeat :]

If you play against some good marine then he will slay you pretty fast if he gets the first hit, But if you have stealth then that will probably not happen if you don't walk into a scan or some room with radar, it does not help to run silently if people can see you coming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah good point, what ever works is the best option :)
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    To be clear, I support the idea because the wiki says the Fade is capable of blinking through walls in the lore section. Sure, lore doesn't equal gameplay, but if it were possible to be implemented sometime down the road, it'd be pretty awesome.

<!--quoteo(post=2020360:date=Nov 11 2012, 10:04 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 11 2012, 10:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->actually a cooler idea would be to be able to send out a blinking illusionary clone for the fade. that would be mental.

e.g. double click and hold the blink button, and fade turns invisible, but for the marines it would look like the fade is blinking into the next room.

release the blink button and you reappear ready to attack from behind, since everyone would have tried to shoot down the illusionary blinking fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a pretty cool idea, but that just inspired another idea that'd probably be easier to implement.

Instead of an illusion taking off somewhere, how about a sort of 'delay' effect. This would be an out-of-combat skill, so no jumping or blinking or anything like that. The skill would make the Fade invisible with an illusion, like in your idea, but rather than blinking off this illusion would follow in your exact footsteps, but about 5 seconds behind. It would have a continual energy consumption rate like blink, maybe slightly less energy per second.

To give an example, you're standing in a hallway outside of a marine forward base, and activate this delay skill. You run in, and just as you're passing the marines to get behind them, the illusion appears around the corner. The marines turn and fire at it, and then you strike them from behind. You might only be able to get in one kill if there are three or four marines in the room, but then you can just blink out. (Assuming you have the energy.)

There's a few ways the illusion could disappear, either the Fade running out of energy or using some action (again, attack/jump/etc), and possibly the illusion could disappear when shot, or after it takes x amount of damage like a Shade illusion.