Alien Vision sucks.

AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Seriously. I find that when I play Aliens, I don't pick up a new map as fast as on Marines. Why is that? Because it's just as much about the color, lighting, and overall theme of an area than it is about free and occupied space. On maps I can easily navigate as Marines, I still have to toggle in and out of Alien Vision or bring up the map to find out where I am and where I need to be heading as Aliens. That's really bad design that works against beginners.

Why make such a visually pleasing game but make an almost mandatory vision mode turn everything except organic targets an unappealing, solid puke green color? Also, why can't I see my spit and bile bombs as Gorge with Alien Vision activated? I can't see marines at all with it off, and yet I can't correct my spit or bile bombs with it on. It's lose-lose as Gorge. Can you guys make this once useful Alien class even more useless compared to the original?

Alien Vision needs to be reworked so that the terrain remains unaffected or <i>LESS AFFECTED</i> and only organic lifeforms glow. I know there's a mod in the workshop that does just this, but it really should be an inherent feature and not a mod that has a small chance of being whitelisted on the servers you join.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    If you don't like it, don't use it. It's there as an option to help you, and it is by no means required to play.
  • XIIGageXIIGage Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158060Members
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...ls/?id=98879398</a>

Try this mod out. I personally like this over the "normal" vision mode. The vision has been constantly changing for a year though and I think they are still working on it.

Only issue with the mod is that not all server support it.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    he has a point though, alien vision makes map recognition imposible.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009236:date=Nov 3 2012, 10:06 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 3 2012, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you don't like it, don't use it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh look, it's <i>this advice </i>again. I dislike it for reasons you failed to address.

<!--quoteo(post=2009239:date=Nov 3 2012, 10:08 PM:name=XIIGage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XIIGage @ Nov 3 2012, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...ls/?id=98879398</a>

Try this mod out. I personally like this over the "normal" vision mode. The vision has been constantly changing for a year though and I think they are still working on it.

Only issue with the mod is that not all server support it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have that mod. I have yet to use it because none of the servers I've played on have whitelisted it.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009236:date=Nov 3 2012, 11:06 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 3 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you don't like it, don't use it. It's there as an option to help you, and it is by no means required to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, but that's terrible advice. It's like saying frag grenades are there to help you in Counter-Strike but you don't need them to play. In NS2 I generally want to win, so I use the ugly alien vision to track marines both in the heat of battle and from a distance since they're not instantly orange outlined "L4Ded" the second they show up on my screen.

Love the minimal alien vision mod (if/when servers have it whitelisted), though.

Edit: +1 to the OP for reasons I completely agree with.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    It seems to me your gripes lay in the fact Marines have a Comm that gives specific waypoints, objectives, and your HUD has a mini-map always displayed, and for the most part, Marines move in teams, making movement relatively easier, like following the taillights of the car in front of you. Also the fact you're human and can relate more to a Marine's height and movement helps.

I don't follow you with why you see just fine with a marine, but have a difficult time seeing with alien w/o vision enabled. But if you do, that's the whole purpose of alien vision: It's supposed to make important things stand out and other, less important things like spit and bile bomb be obscured so you can focus on the threat at hand.

Perhaps you should learn all the maps first as a Marine, then give Aliens a shot once you've learned the layout. Also, checking your map is something even veterans do -- it can be extremely handy in locating threats without the need of your teammates calling it out. You'll hear "use your map" a lot on Aliens.

NS2 has a steep learning curve and learning the maps is just one part of it -- just stick with it and once you've got it, things like Alien Vision will become a great tool for you to use at the right time. Either that or you'll figure out it's not for you (a lot of folks don't use it).
  • XIIGageXIIGage Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158060Members
    The only problem with using a vision mode similar to the modded one is that your environment isn't outlined when in total darkness. So you would get caught on stuff you can't see.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed.

I use the above minimal alien vision mod as well, if its blocked I go completely without alien vision over the default green screen.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    What was wrong with NS1's alien vision where it just highlighted enemy life forms?

Its currently the same thing except worse. Its another one of UWE awesome decisions to make everything have a downside to it.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009248:date=Nov 3 2012, 10:15 PM:name=dethovu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dethovu @ Nov 3 2012, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems to me your gripes lay in the fact Marines have a Comm that gives specific waypoints, objectives, and your HUD has a mini-map always displayed, and for the most part, Marines move in teams, making movement relatively easier, like following the taillights of the car in front of you. Also the fact you're human and can relate more to a Marine's height and movement helps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. I guarantee if made play Marines but forced to use a vision mode that voided many of the maps visual features, I would be just as crippled even with the waypointing and following people around. Some areas of maps are pretty distinct even with the Alien Vision on. For example, I can obviously tell the difference between Cafeteria, Landing Pad, and Terminal in Docking. But, get further upward on the map above and to the right of the Bar where it's nothing but an endless maze of corridors and shafts, and it becomes a nightmare.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't follow you with why you see just fine with a marine, but have a difficult time seeing with alien w/o vision enabled. But if you do, that's the whole purpose of alien vision: It's supposed to make important things stand out and other, less important things like spit and bile bomb be obscured so you can focus on the threat at hand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you read my original post? People commit things to memory better when there are more key features to memorize. It's easier to commit an area to memory when you're committing its free and occupied space, static lighting, color, and overall theme to memory instead of merely its free and occupied space.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps you should learn all the maps first as a Marine, then give Aliens a shot once you've learned the layout. Also, checking your map is something even veterans do -- it can be extremely handy in locating threats without the need of your teammates calling it out. You'll hear "use your map" a lot on Aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, did you read? You wouldn't be giving me this advice otherwise. Maps I can navigate without a visual aid as Marines are still occasionally difficult to navigate under Alien Vision because most of what I have committed to memory is void in Alien Vision. I can toggle Alien Vision off in a room that I can't distinguish and immediately think "Oh. It's <i>this</i> room!"

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 has a steep learning curve and learning the maps is just one part of it -- just stick with it and once you've got it, things like Alien Vision will become a great tool for you to use at the right time. Either that or you'll figure out it's not for you (a lot of folks don't use it).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not arguing against a learning curve. I'm all for learning curves. Alien vision voiding features of the map that make it easy to navigate and/or commit to memory is <b><i>artificial difficulty</i></b>. I don't care for that in my learning curves. There's a difference between learning good design and<i> tolerating </i>poor design.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited November 2012
    I keep alien vision on permanently due to the huge advantage it gives for spotting marines. When I started out, I kept it on probably half the time due to learning maps. I think the blocky, low-res look of alien vision makes sense on paper because it needs <i>some</i> type of drawback compared to being able to instantly spot marines and to see clearly in unpowered rooms. We wouldn't need to use this feature so often if the marine color scheme didn't blend into the geometry so well.

To combat the troubles you're having with spit and bile bomb, consider practicing with them while alien vision is off. Memorize their speed and trajectories. I find them easy to use even with vision turned on because I can predict where to shoot. To get alien vision to show your own projectiles, you'll likely need to make a post in the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showforum=84" target="_blank">Ideas and Suggestions</a> forum.
  • KetamineKetamine Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166292Members
    edited November 2012
    I use it when the lights go out.. really havent ever needed it other than then. If you can't spot a marine with your regular eyeballs then something is wrong with you. Wear headphones, listen for footsteps. Most marines run around with their flashlight on 95% of the time so that's a dead giveaway too.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009266:date=Nov 3 2012, 10:34 PM:name=Karnaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karnaj @ Nov 3 2012, 10:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the blocky, low-res look of alien vision makes sense on paper because it needs <i>some</i> type of drawback compared to being able to instantly spot marines and to see clearly in unpowered rooms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Being able to instantly spot Marines and see through darkness isn't in need of a downside. The intention there is to make Marines less confident solo or in small groups and/or in areas they don't control or have power to. It's not a "bonus". It's a requirement for atmosphere. It's obviously to discourage mindless run and gun by Marines and to facilitate the omniscient, stalking/ambushing play from the Aliens. Whether or not you can see more features of the terrain doesn't affect that ability anyway, so how is it even a downside? I'm speaking about its detriment for beginners <b><i>learning the maps</i></b>.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    i dunno man, just learn how to aim them without a projectile, it's not that big of a deal
    i dunno man, just learn archery without firing arrows, it's not that big of a deal
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    does anyone really think that having alien vision have a drawback is a strong gameplay idea? what is the obsession with arbitrary vision-obscuring mechanics as a concept of "balance"? expanding it to be more user-friendly hurts nothing, and leaving it at its current system is just silly.

there's something to be said for <i>improvement</i> - just because something works currently, does not mean that it can't be improved upon. for example, in Dota 2 they recently just added a function so that you could click an item and it would announce to your team that you wanted to use it (imagine if gorges could say "gather for a heal here"). this is just an example of polish that's added to a game that makes it just cleaner and overall more fun to play, instead of these half-quality "features" that are mostly lacking.
    <!--quoteo(post=2009314:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:52 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 4 2012, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->does anyone really think that having alien vision have a drawback is a strong gameplay idea? what is the obsession with arbitrary vision-obscuring mechanics as a concept of "balance"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't even see how it's a downside. The only problem I have with alien vision is that it voids the environment's features which increases the difficulty of learning a map for beginners playing alien. This guy came out of nowhere and said that alien vision needed a downside for its power. I'd argue it doesn't. It's not overpowered. It's fine. It gives Aliens their unique advantage that contributes to the game's atmosphere. But, how would it even be a downside if it were? A non-beginner knows the maps, so making the map featureless does nothing to them. The downside to alien vision exists outside the game. Bad argument is bad.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The reason why people are speaking about downsides is because it's an idea of the devs, at some point in the beta they made the alien vision cost energy which induced massive rage on the forum and lots of debate about putting downside to everything. It was removed eventually.

Otherwise I totally agree with you.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->Be nice<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> --comprox
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009261:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:28 AM:name=Ansom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansom @ Nov 4 2012, 02:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you read my original post?

Again, did you read?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know why I bothered responding since you're just going to be a ###### ###### about it. How the ###### do you think I typed up the reply?

Alien vision doesn't disorient me at all, what-so-ever -- so it's not the game, it's personal preference, and yours is that you don't like it because you can't learn with it as easily, so you come here to whine about it.

Welcome to NS.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Part of this has to be because Marines get a permanent minimap in the top-left of their screen. Aliens have to keep pressing C and see one which is way too big. Also having everything covered in infestation and being so low down on the floor doesn't help.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited November 2012
    Alien vision needs to change. It shouldn't be, as it is now, pretty much mandatory, making all the maps look uglier when playing on the Alien side. Perhaps normal Alien vision could get really clear outlines of enemies in bright rooms with extra stuff like the tracking of Marine health if the Marine is parasited (green outline for healthy Marine, red for near-death) and things like that to make it the prefered vision mode. The Aliens dark vision should only be really beneficial during combat in dark or red-lit rooms (bright rooms makes the vision mode blurry and grainy, maybe a bit like <a href="http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/219958/219958,1260019880,3/stock-photo-christmas-lights-blurry-and-grainy-42221770.jpg" target="_blank">this</a> if possible), with no Hive Sight and no minimap access.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    edited November 2012
    The argument not to use blackened rooms because of the visuals came from the devs and it actually applies here as well. I really hope it gets changed.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I felt the same way when I started playing BF3. I couldn't learn the maps because people were shooting at me, and when I have to shoot back, or when I die, I don't learn the maps as quickly. Needless to say I cried about it in the forums, and I am much happier today because of it.

Maybe, if I was so inclined, I would have attempted to learn the maps in a non combat situation, and thus made it a lot easier on myself. I am not so inclined though, so I definitely agree with OP!
    <!--quoteo(post=2009378:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:57 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Nov 4 2012, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I felt the same way when I started playing BF3. I couldn't learn the maps because people were shooting at me, and when I have to shoot back, or when I die, I don't learn the maps as quickly. Needless to say I cried about it in the forums, and I am much happier today because of it.

Maybe, if I was so inclined, I would have attempted to learn the maps in a non combat situation, and thus made it a lot easier on myself. I am not so inclined though, so I definitely agree with OP!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We welcome our newest member to the terrible analogies club.
  • KetamineKetamine Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166292Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009347:date=Nov 4 2012, 05:24 AM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Nov 4 2012, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009347"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Aliens dark vision should only be really beneficial during combat in dark or red-lit rooms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol what planet are you on? That's exactly how it is now. I have way too many hours in this game I'm comfortable saying and I've probably used alien vision on only 10-15 occasions, when the lights went out. I've never had to <i>try</i> to find marines, they give themselves away every single time. Why do you feel it's mandatory to use it??

In black rooms marines only have cone vision, but with alien vision you can see everything. Plus it scares the ###### out of them, so that's two bonuses.

I don't see why everyone wants every little thing changed-- Personally I think the game is fine the way it is, I love every aspect of it. But hey that's just me.

Friendly fire would be interesting though..
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is a nice mod, I used to use it. But alien vision doesnt seem to be the problem, the problem seems to be is that you use it all the time. You're missing out on some great visual effects that way
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    Jeez guys, I don't even use Alien Vision much except after a power node fails, but I completely understand the OP's laments. This is nothing to do with balance issues, etc; he's just saying that you can't learn a map while in Alien Vision. Even while playing marines, I would have no issue with the aliens having a few tweaks on that.

I will note that I think the best <i>partial</i> solution to this is a reliance on geometry rather than textures/lighting. Take note of all the ways particular rooms look different (hanging wires, a big meshed cage around an enormous hallway in a cave, etc). There's a lot of that in many maps, though I know that doesn't fully solve the issue.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    That's very surprising to hear. No irony. I almost always play with Alien vision on since it's simply an advantage in every single situation.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009590:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:20 PM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Nov 4 2012, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's very surprising to hear. No irony. I almost always play with Alien vision on since it's simply an advantage in every single situation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This... I never turn it off, its so much of an advantage :O...
    Now you can see grenades in it as well there is no reason to turn it off.
    Only thing missing is being able to see umbra whilst inside alien vision.