cysts cost money

RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">and do nothing</div>i say move cysts back to energy or free. Right now they cost a buck and offer no benefits to justify the cost.

yes they can rupture but that also cost rez

all in all they should offer benefits or not cost rez.

Comments

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Infestation altogether is mostly meaningless except to look pretty. I think it should cause slowdown for marine movement/speedup for alien movement personally. I've suggested it before and I think it was tried in the beta a while ago, but it didn't remain in for some reason.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008584:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:13 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 3 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation altogether is mostly meaningless except to look pretty. I think it should cause slowdown for marine movement/speedup for alien movement personally. I've suggested it before and I think it was tried in the beta a while ago, but it didn't remain in for some reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The whole power nodes / infestation thing really reeks of wasted potential. The comm shouldn't even be able to drop health / ammo in a room with no power, hell, I don't even think he should be allowed to sensor ping without an active power node.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Yeah its sad, they dont want to or is to scared to actually use the potential. I mean if infestation would slow down player speed, that would be interesting and make sense right.

Like now we are entering the aliens natural enviroment, one could easily imagine the infestation being both sticky and slippery thus making walking harder, for humans that only have 2 legs and wear boots.

I really wish that the infestation would produce plant life, like i imagine of the aliens homeworld there is infestation over everything, now following that logic, there must be something equal to our forrests, bushes and such, would be cool if infestation in some places produces folliage as bushes and stuff that aliens could hide in.

Infestation has so much potential to be more than just making stuff look different, it still needs some work and it hope they improve it, but its never looked this good, its starting to feel like you enter a different place.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008618:date=Nov 3 2012, 01:37 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 3 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really wish that the infestation would produce plant life, like i imagine of the aliens homeworld there is infestation over everything, now following that logic, there must be something equal to our forrests, bushes and such, would be cool if infestation in some places produces folliage as bushes and stuff that aliens could hide in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can get alien life. Mushrooms, roots, and worms called crags, shifts, and whips are there to summon. You make the plant life. I played a game where I had junk all over the place, and it looked like I was taking over the world with my infestation. I do wish there was more things to choose from though. Three types of structures don't really make for a diverse alien ecosystem.

But yes, I think the infestation should incur a slight speed penalty, and the alien com should be able to do more with infested ground. I may make a suggestion thread later including some of these ideas..
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008579:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:08 PM:name=RiCexEaTeR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RiCexEaTeR @ Nov 3 2012, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i say move cysts back to energy or free. Right now they cost a buck and offer no benefits to justify the cost.

yes they can rupture but that also cost rez

all in all they should offer benefits or not cost rez.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The res cost was added to prevent alien commanders spamming in the marine base for no reason. They still do it, mind you, but its less attractive with a price tag attached.

I have no problem with them costing res, I do wish marines had a similar res investment in powernodes though. Perhaps its free to repair and build, but very weak until you upgrade it for 10 res?
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Opened a thread about this last month. Check out : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121666" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=121666</a>
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008595:date=Nov 3 2012, 09:21 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 3 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The whole power nodes / infestation thing really reeks of wasted potential. The comm shouldn't even be able to drop health / ammo in a room with no power, hell, I don't even think he should be allowed to sensor ping without an active power node.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was reading your thread and I have to agree with all of this. It seems like a lot of potential IS wasted. Mere aesthetics shouldn't be the reason for the infestation and power nodes. It should follow the Zerg/Protoss idea used in StarCraft, which makes a lot of sense! (For those who don't know, in StarCraft the Zerg spread infestation by creating a "tumor" and structures can only be built on the infestation. For Protoss they are only allowed to build within the range of a power node. If the power node is destroyed the structures become unavailable.)

This is of course quite a gameplay change, but I fully support it. It's not only confusing for new players, but it really could improve the game!
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    That's pretty much how it works right now.
    What he's saying is that despite the look, there needs to be more effects for the infestation.

I liked back in the beta when being on it slowed down the marines movement, and being on it as an alien sped up regen.
    While both were only slight, it made a difference.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009181:date=Nov 4 2012, 04:51 AM:name=Haplo_64)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haplo_64 @ Nov 4 2012, 04:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's pretty much how it works right now.
    What he's saying is that despite the look, there needs to be more effects for the infestation.

I liked back in the beta when being on it slowed down the marines movement, and being on it as an alien sped up regen.
    While both were only slight, it made a difference.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I keep hearing about all these features from alpha / beta that were cut, and it's like... "WHY?!?"

So much of this game feels like one step forward / two steps back in design. Why would they come up with the idea and then remove it? Depth in gameplay is things like that. Removing it and not replacing it with something else just makes the game feel as if it's lacking that little bit more.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    i say yes to speeding up aliens speed on infestation. Currently i only know that when marines sprint they move slower on infestation, not sure about the walk speed.
  • SmellyPantsSmellyPants Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166704Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008584:date=Nov 3 2012, 02:13 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 3 2012, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation altogether is mostly meaningless except to look pretty. I think it should cause slowdown for marine movement/speedup for alien movement personally. I've suggested it before and I think it was tried in the beta a while ago, but it didn't remain in for some reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wut? Infestation is not pointless at all. It makes commanders keep a cyst chain (infestation) to their various structures. While marines require power, they also require someone to build their buildings. What would you suggest? Alien commanders dropping resource nodes all over the map at the start? I personally like this way much more than how it was done in NS1 (gorges building harvesters). It isn't starcraft creep, and a speedboost / slowdown would be over powered in my opinion. Hell, cysts cost 1 resource. I've yet to run into a scenario where I can't afford them, unless it's a game that we're already near losing.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    Cysts increasing the costs of every building a lot. Harvesters dont cost 10 res for Aliens, its near of 15.

Its a shame to add something cool like infestation just as a requierement to build stuff on it. Boring.