Skulk late game

jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
edited August 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">bite</div>+1 for bite dmg increase as game progresses and Xeno made useful.

Comments

• OprahOprah Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155615Members
    I'd like to see Focus return. I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the works, probably being tweaked so it's not to powerful early, but I can't believe they would scratch it. Skulks have a role late game, but the low damage really does handicap them.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Powerful early game sounds good to me. At least it will stop every alien commander ever clicking the crag button 10 seconds in.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1963064:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:06 AM:name=Oprah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oprah @ Aug 15 2012, 01:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see Focus return. I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the works, probably being tweaked so it's not to powerful early, but I can't believe they would scratch it. Skulks have a role late game, but the low damage really does handicap them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Definitely this, combined with the idea of upgrades maturing with the chamber maturity.
    So upgrades start weaker, and becomes more powerful as the chamber gets mature.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    +1 for Focus. It is my favorite NS1 upgrade, and would make Shade(or non-Crag) a much more appealing first chamber. Promotes bite aim too.
    As for maturing upgrades, I'm thinking their max output could scale to the number of hives, but would still need time to grow to reach that maximum.

Love these ideas!
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    +1 for Focus!

We need more options to run different builds! I hate knowing you could only go one way so might as well get an A.I Commander to do it all for you, ######.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Focus was a KILLER choice against jetpacks.

Jetpacks are currently very OP, mostly because of movement. A focus bite on a jetpack with no armor = dead duck. Sounds like a start.
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    if aliens get focus, shotgun needs to be designed around the NS1 shotty then
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963113:date=Aug 15 2012, 10:42 AM:name=gio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gio @ Aug 15 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for maturing upgrades, I'm thinking their max output could scale to the number of hives, but would still need time to grow to reach that maximum.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So if aliens have three hives up and they lose one to a marine push they are now weaker and will find it harder to fight back and they will snowball quickly into defeat getting weaker as each hive drops.

I think multiple upgrade building similar to NS 1 would allow for more effective scaling.
    If the alien teams clever they build all upgrades in most defensible position increasing the importance of one hive. This help reduce the immediate impact of losing a 3rd hive and allowing the aliens a chance to potentially continue fighting with full strength carapace, full adrenaline upgrades etc.
    Might need some number tweaking but would allow for a much smoother building of alien strenghs.

I wonder if the bloke who came up with the idea for that didn't send UWE a xmas card as the basics of the old alien upgrade structures worked well yet they dont seem to want to use it.
    I cant see why not, aliens didn't suddenly become able to take multiple shotgun shots, they gradually got stronger and the game felt a lot smoother in the transition.

Oh and the MC hive teleporting really should be added as a function to the spurs, simple pressing e to activate worked fine.
    But I am digressing a little from OP....though what I would say is that I think skulk armour is fine <b>if</b> its the top level of a 3 tier 3 chamber system.
    There needs to be an increase for attack similar to focus (perhaps this is where poison bite could site...instead of lerk..with some tweaking)
    which allows aliens to have some form of scalable attack upgrade, otherwise they will only ever be balanced for a small part of the overall game time.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963227:date=Aug 15 2012, 02:08 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 15 2012, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps as a replacement for xeno, or simply just another ability for the skulk, probably researched at 3 (or maybe 2) hives.

The skulk can attach itself to marines after a leap successfully makes contact with the marine. This would be very handy against jetpackers, but there would still be an element of skill as you try to latch onto a jetpacker. You can detach yourself by leaping again.

Once attached, a marine can knock off the skulk by using the rifle butt, but if course GL/SG/Flamethrower doesn't have this ability, so you would either need to switch to your axe/welder or get a team mate to use their rifle butt on the skulk. (the marine you are attached to cannot shoot you).

So this ability would be a great counter to jetpacks, marines roaming around with GL/SG/FT on their own, or even groups of marines vs groups of skulks as each skulk could potentially attach themselves to each marine. It also allows aliens to be more tactical as it will disrupt a selected marine for a short period of time.

But there is also an element of skill, 1 in attaching yourself and 2, for the marine to knock you off before you bite him 3-5 times (depending on armor level).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->