Commander/Khammander GUI-improvements

Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
edited August 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
In my opinion the GUI need to give much more information about the battlefield. Currently, It feels not like a RTS-Commander.

1.) Upgrades

Alien-players can see which upgrades are online. Khammanders cant. Why? Sometimes, if a evolutionchamber get sniped by marines, the khammanders dont note that until someone says in voice "khammander,we have lost xxx-upgrade". To search and check all evolutionchambers all 3 minutes on minimap is not a solution :>. Just display all researched evolutions on screen.

Upgrades in research needs a progress bar.

2.) Playerlist

I want a permanent list of all marines or alien-players on my screen (for me on right side) with informations about Playername, HP/Armor, Ammo/Energy, Location, Status( like "in fight" "following order" "respawning" etc. ), Weapon/Lifeform, Equipment/Evolutions, an icon if the player says something in voice(or the playerbar is highlighting), an icon if a player yells for "need ammo/medpack/order".

This list can be sorted. For example : press and hold STRG, choose Player 1,4,5 and press "1". They are now optical separated from other players in the list. And there is now a shortcut on "1" to select all this players and a shortcut-button on screen near those players in list .

The same List for all buildings(some frequently buildings like cysts are combined) with extra informations like "no Energy/Cystlink"(maybe higlighted in red colour) "is upgrading/evolving" etc.. This buildinglist is invisible until u are pressing a specifiec button(because thats to much on screen ).

3.) Minimap

New Colors for minimap is badly needed. I dont know why a cyst, when its fresh builded, glows RED on the minimap. Red indicates danger/damage.

Special buildings need different STRONGER colors. Letz say for example all Whips are deep blue, all Harvesters are White, all evolutionchambers are yellow etc.

The infestation indicates the alien-territory. Currently its yellow on yellow :/ . Yellow for infestation is fine. The minimap backgroundcolor needs a neutral color like grey for both commanders! Marine buildings create a own territorycircle on the minimap in blue.

Again: Alien-territory = yellow , Marine-Territory = blue, neutral territory = grey.

Buildings with no energy/cystlinks must be marked on minimap. Permanent changing the color between yellow-grey(aliens) or blue-grey(marines) until the territory is retaken(or lost)

Thats it. Sry for my bad english :/ .

Edit:

The Commander can give Medpacks, Ammo, nanoshield by just selecting the equipment and then clicking the marine on playerlist. Supporting marines will work much faster now and the accuracy is 100 %(no more faildrops). Maybe thats OP i dunno . Need to be prove

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2012
    #2 would be especially nice- You could see who is egging and needs a Mist, or who doesn't have a gun or welder so you might drop one for them for marines. Doesnt even need to take a lot of screen realestate- I was thinking something simple and <a href="http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/grid" target="_blank">grid</a>-like, or <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=117794&view=findpost&p=1953039" target="_blank">Insight</a> already has some great player frames.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Integrating Insight into the default commander view would be sexcellent.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    +eleventy

Only thing I disagree on is being able to do prefect drops by clicking on a marine and then clicking med/ammo. Accuracy in drops is an important skill differentiator for good comms.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    I saw some khammanders today and yesterday (new players) who build 2 times the same upgrade. For exampel 2 * carapace and then forget regeneration. Or just forget to rebuild an upgrade when its lost(happend also to me). Plz display researched upgrades permanent on khammanderscreen :>.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955933:date=Aug 2 2012, 08:07 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Aug 2 2012, 08:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+eleventy

Only thing I disagree on is being able to do prefect drops by clicking on a marine and then clicking med/ammo. Accuracy in drops is an important skill differentiator for good comms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. I love all the ideas, but manual dropping needs to stay. Its a nice penalty to jetpackers who have to dorp down to get medpacks usually.

On point #1, would be good if the upgrade icons were filled up in a pie-chart fashion as they researched, since they are all already circular icons.

When they died, they should go dark red and then fade away to make it noticeable.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I'm beginning to think it would be awesome to comm / khamm with the Insight mod as your wingman. Add most of these bits of information, but keep the real estate; that's the real trick.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    edited August 2012
    I want to see some of the UI elements from (I apologize for this blasphemy) Nuclear Dawn implemented.

Also, I think that the following changes should be made:

1. Commander Assistance (Ammo, Health, Scan, Armor) should be ALWAYS bound to Z, X, C, V (configurable) rather than be dependant on which tab you have selected. Also pressing B could bring up a menu to choose which weapon to drop and be in their own panel on the UI, instead of in the assist tab. This would make dropping things much easier.

2. We should have the ability to use standard keyboard keys to instantly select a building, rather than going through tabs
    -Press T for Resource Tower, I for infantry portal etc, rather than the 2-key combos we have now

3. Automatically assign 3 or 4 people to a squad, which are automatically bound to 1-4 on the keyboard for commander (or something). Squad allocation is automatic, however it will try to put steam friends together in the same squads. This would allow the commander to easily give orders to groups.

4. OPTION to automatically assign all MACs to control group 5 and all ARCs to control group 6. This should make using them a little easier.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    How about making the "Home" button on keyboard cycle between hives/cc?
  • H3lixH3lix Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154722Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I support this thread many awesome ideas! +1
    edited August 2012
    I want the function to deactivate a phasegate. If u want to focus your marines to a special location and there are 5 phasegates, it could take to much time and disorient some players.

For example: outpost X is under heavy atack. U deactivate phasegates from other outpost and just need to say "use phasegate". Outpost x will be secured and no time.

I think that is a littel piece of controll that a commander rly need. To actualize this, all phasegates must be displayed on the screen by icons(blue shiny,bottom, in a line) with locationname (shortened name). Just click on a phasegate-icon to deactivate/activate it(by deactivating, the color changed to grey and its no more shiny).
  • AeydonAeydon Join Date: 2012-08-10 Member: 155240Members
    Fantastic ideas, you have my support!
    Something have changed now. Great. But what me realy pissed off is that they added the mod "insight" into the game...for specs only >_< . I want all those informations as an khammander/commander. Are there any changes known for 1.0 ? That cannot be true that I have to ask my aliens which upgrades are on/killed in a RTS-game.