Hypermutation Exploit

ssjsonic1ssjsonic1 Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148729Members
Admittedly, I haven't played B209 yet, but how are the developers going to address this exploit?

Onos is close to dying near enemy base, runs around the corner, and quickly devolves into a skulk just in time to receive all of his spent resources back before death. He can now go Onos again after respawning.

Implement a short delay before resources are returned? Increase skulk evolution time? No resources returned if health is less than X%?

Comments

• ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Isn't this why it was implemented in the first place? I can't figure out many other ways for hypermutation to be very useful. It's also funny that you can change upgrades so you can always devolve and get your money if hypermutation is researched. It's just quite unintuitive to gestate three times to achieve this (first change an upgrade to hypermutation, then devolve to lesser lifeform, then change hypermutation back to a useful upgrade). Why is hypermutation implemented as an upgrade and not as a passive bonus?
  • ssjsonic1ssjsonic1 Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148729Members
    Its useful for strategically changing lifeforms to adapt to a situation. But I feel using it during the last seconds before death just to avoid an Onos kill is an exploitation.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1940464:date=May 31 2012, 05:55 PM:name=ssjsonic1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ssjsonic1 @ May 31 2012, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its useful for strategically changing lifeforms to adapt to a situation. But I feel using it during the last seconds before death just to avoid an Onos kill is an exploitation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you describe me a situation where it would be the best option to change your upgrade to hypermutation and devolve to a lesser lifeform? I can't come up with any.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940462:date=Jun 1 2012, 01:50 AM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Jun 1 2012, 01:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't this why it was implemented in the first place?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True but i think the effect seems unintuitive to the point of the OP labelling it an exploit. It might also be a bit powerful if you ask me as it allows non-stop onosing and might encourage bad play.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I thought you lose all the res when dying?
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    maybe if i can only hypermutation with >50% life?
  • ssjsonic1ssjsonic1 Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148729Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940472:date=May 31 2012, 12:08 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ May 31 2012, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought you lose all the res when dying?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope it works this way! Also, a more intuitive realization for the player (and having the same effect) is to never give back resources, but rather dynamically change the cost for the lifeforms as you evolve between them.

---

An example for adapting to a situation would be killing as Fade. Evolving to gorge to bile bomb. Then returning to Fade.

NS2 is supposed to have trade-offs so that one lifeform isn't always better than the others. If being joined by 5 of the same species, you may want to go down to Lerk or Gorge temporarily for support. But yes, as of B209 I'd take 6 Onos over any combination of other lifeforms.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The upgrade system has a few problems (in my opinion they are problems, at least), that makes this a potential issue:

1. Players can choose several upgrades from each chamber -- for example combining carapace with regen. The NS1 system of only allowing one upgrade from each chamber made for more interesting choices and consequences in my opinion.

2. Players can swap upgrades later on in the game if they decide they didn't like the one they initially picked. I would prefer locking players to their initial choice, for the same reasoning as in point 1 above.

3. You don't lose your hypermutated res when you die (I haven't actually tried hypermutation yet, so this may be wrong, but from reading the posts here this is my understanding of how it works).
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    so can marines get an upgrade that recycles their weapon and jp back into the nanite grid for all the res back when they die?

seriously tho, hypermutaion sounds like a neat idea, but it seems like it will really hard to balance once it gets taken advantage of properly
  • MephitMephit Join Date: 2012-05-30 Member: 152747Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940492:date=May 31 2012, 06:44 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ May 31 2012, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3. You don't lose your hypermutated res when you die (I haven't actually tried hypermutation yet, so this may be wrong, but from reading the posts here this is my understanding of how it works).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nobody who posted here has tried it yet, from what I can tell.
    Somebody try this.
  • ToothyToothy ir-regard-less Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13447Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    As I understand it, you get your hypermutation res back if you devolve into a lifeform lower than you. If you die, you don't get anything back. However, the trouble is, the speed at which the player can go skulk and get his res back is far too fast.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Players can choose several upgrades from each chamber -- for example combining carapace with regen. The NS1 system of only allowing one upgrade from each chamber made for more interesting choices and consequences in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Imo having players able to mix and match from all the upgrades in the game (provided the commander unlocks them) makes for the largest possible amount of lifeform upgrade variety. Though what I think needs to happen is:
    - Reimplementation of res cost on lifeform upgrades, with some upgrades like camouflage or silence costing less than 'more powerful' ones like say carapace. (flat out buffs vs trade-off buffs) In addition, upgrades on skulk should be much cheaper than on for example the fade and onos (So it's going to be up to the player to decide if he wants to invest that res) This will also address the issue that is all players being able to go higher lifeforms at the same time, since it will further differentiate player p.res amounts and timings.

- Research scaling for the alien commander, this way there's bigger and tougher choices to be made, make the second shell/veil/shift cost more than the first (or even better the second upgrade from those structures, rather than the structure itself, cost more than the first) This way the trade-off becomes stronger, do you go for carapace first and then get the more expensive regen later? Or do you skip regen for now and invest in the relatively cheaper celerity.

In regards to the OP, I think they should just slow 're-evolving', make the speed based on the lifeform you came from rather than on the lifeform you're evolving to. I.e Onos to skulk would be slower than Skulk to onos. It's an interesting mechanic imo, I hope they stick with it and find a way to make it work. (Bringing back costs on lifeform upgrades would help with hypermutation as well imo)
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940503:date=May 31 2012, 06:12 PM:name=Toothy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toothy @ May 31 2012, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I understand it, you get your hypermutation res back if you devolve into a lifeform lower than you. If you die, you don't get anything back. However, the trouble is, the speed at which the player can go skulk and get his res back is far too fast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, this is what I meant, I just couldn't put it into words properly. Second attempt:

If you use hypermutation to devolve into a cheaper lifeform, the excess res is refunded to you. You don't lose that res when you die as the lower tier lifeform. That's what enables the particular exploit suggested by the OP.

Again; this is just how I've understood it works from posts on this forum. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, so please correct me if it is wrong.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Are you refunded the res the moment you turn into an egg or when you're done evolving? So basically you could quickly evolve skulk when you're about to onos, and you'd get your res back even if you died in eggform? Sounds problematic indeed.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940506:date=May 31 2012, 06:18 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 31 2012, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo having players able to mix and match from all the upgrades in the game (provided the commander unlocks them) makes for the largest possible amount of lifeform upgrade variety.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think harsher consequences for choices, making for more difficult choices, makes for more interesting gameplay than just aiming for "the largest possible amount of lifeform upgrade variety".

For example, once the individual aliens go down a certain upgrade path, the marines should be able to, at least partially, counter it by picking certain weapons or a certain playing style. That doesn't work as well when the aliens can switch out their upgrades on a whim.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1940510:date=May 31 2012, 01:23 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 31 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you refunded the res the moment you turn into an egg or when you're done evolving? So basically you could quickly evolve skulk when you're about to onos, and you'd get your res back even if you died in eggform? Sounds problematic indeed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are refunded the res when you're finished devolving from your previous lifeform. If you're a gorge, a lerk will only cost 20 to evolve to with hypermutation. If you're a lerk and you go gorge, you are refunded 20 pres when you hatch (maybe 2 seconds).
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1940510:date=May 31 2012, 07:23 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 31 2012, 07:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you refunded the res the moment you turn into an egg or when you're done evolving? So basically you could quickly evolve skulk when you're about to onos, and you'd get your res back even if you died in eggform? Sounds problematic indeed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After you evolve. But going back to skulk is pretty fast anyways.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe add something that prevents an alien below 50% health to change to skulk using hypermutation, or maybe delay hypermutation time when alien is below 50%. It might not be super intuitive, but it could prevent an almost dead Onos from going skulk just for the purpose of dying.

But I like this change, I think it will bring more to the alien gameplay, maybe we need to try it out more, and balance it in other ways.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1940461:date=May 31 2012, 05:42 PM:name=ssjsonic1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ssjsonic1 @ May 31 2012, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos is close to dying near enemy base, runs around the corner, and quickly devolves into a skulk just in time to receive all of his spent resources back before death. He can now go Onos again after respawning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds like redemption, except it requires skill. What was the exploit again?

Also, I agree with fana that upgrades should be locked, regardless of hypermutation.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940492:date=May 31 2012, 05:44 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ May 31 2012, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The upgrade system has a few problems (in my opinion they are problems, at least), that makes this a potential issue:

1. Players can choose several upgrades from each chamber -- for example combining carapace with regen. The NS1 system of only allowing one upgrade from each chamber made for more interesting choices and consequences in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    While NS1 ended up being pretty limited on viable upgrades (fades for example), I'd really like to see the basic carried over to NS2. If you're going to have masses of lifeforms, it might be a good idea to force some specialization on them. With higher lifeform counts you're also going to have more flexibility with your upgrade picks as the whole team doesn't depend on a single lifeform filling a role.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    The issue I see with hypermutation is that how often do most players want/need to devolve/change whilst on the same life?

I thought it would be that the more times you evolved into a lerk it got cheaper ie 1st time is say 30, next time 28, 26 etc. If you die as skulk it resets as would evolving into a different alien.

I just dont see it being any use in pubs..I might be able to accept a small benefit in clan games..but even then it would be only 1 or 2 players not most of the team that could benefit.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hypermutation should literally be 'hyper'... I think you should be able to change between lifeforms in the click of a button. So you just 'morph' into that lifeform.

Imagine an Onos being chased off, morphing into a Lerk and then flying down a vent to safety.

Or a Lerk flying into a base and then morphing into an Onos xD

Now that would be cool, and balanced. As long as you evolve to a higher life form you can morph into any below it.

Not sure how you'd 'quick switch' to other lifeforms though. Perhaps you can select another lifeform in the buy menu that you can switch to with a 'quick switch' key. Shift?
  • ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not sure what to think about this entire new ability they gave the aliens.
    The aliens playstyle imo is brutal and anything but sophisticated.
    Whenever i evolve into something I do it to get an edge on the battlefield and stick with it till I die.

Now with this new ability the aliens are turning into shape-shifters which I think does not fit them at all.
    It's like chasing an onos around a corner and finding a gorge or skulk. It just doesn't feel right.

I think this takes away teamplay. Onos that rush into a base unsupported should be punished for it, not be able to turn tail and flee by going skulk. I loved the gorge-onos rush. Or the lerk-skulk herassment. But with players changing lifeforms so fast this pretty much vanishes.

I guess i'll just endure these patches and see what UWE makes of it. In UWE I trust!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually agree with that sentiment.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    theres also the idea that hasnt been posted yet of a damaged onos fleeing to the next room, going gorge instead of skulk, healspraying himself, then going onos again. not sure on the timing of this idea, how long it would take to do 2 evolves and healing yourself, but i imagine it would be fairly quick
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Couldn't hypermutation res just be shown as a bonus and the bonus be removed upon death?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Not a fan of hyper mutation it turns the aliens into a race of shapeshifters. Aliens become abilities, and it's hard to care about abilities in the same way.

If you play an FPS you want to kill the other players who are represented by their characters. Now it's like 'I killed the player who was using the lerk move' not 'I killed a lerk!'.

Look at most sci-fi films that have shape shifters. What they have in common is the shape shifter has an innate form which is usually revealed when it's dead or wounded.

They do that because it's impossible for audiences to keep caring about a character that is never the same. I know NS2 is a video game but video games are full of dramatic tension and even online multi player FPS games have stories which the players create themselves in each round.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While possible in theory, I don't see this becoming prevalent in practice. In effect, you'd have to land on the ground, stop moving, pull up the evolve menu, select skulk, and finish evolving before the marine turned the corner and shot you. However, if you did have enough time to do that, then you probably could have gotten away anyways and now you have to reevolve to the class you were.
  • SpizikeSpizike Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149794Members
    edited June 2012
    This could work say if you were stuck between 2 marine bases. For example, stuck in reactor core when the marines have control of Atrium + Datacore...

I don't see it as a problem with onos, it's relatively difficult to get away (unless you have celerity i guess, but that's sacrificing 2 upgrades for some insurance). It seems more practical for fades with low health and stuck in a poor spot
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    Hypermutation would work great if aliens were locked to upgrades. It wouldn't be as overpowered if you had to pick it up at the expense of regen or celerity.

As it is now, you can use hypermutation to go lerk -> fade -> onos, then ditch it for a better upgrade after you're done evolving each individual lifeform. There's no opportunity cost with using it now.