will different hitboxes mean anything in the future?

deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
To clarify the topic title, I was wondering if certain hitboxes will deal certain damage later on in the game. For example a skulk biting a marines head dealing more damage than the marines leg. Just kind of curious if this will at some point be introduced to ns2

Comments

• RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I hope not. It sounds good in theory but would further make aliens weaker in the Ranged vs Melee battle. All you can see a lot of times is the aliens head coming towards you.

In a Marine vs Marine mod it would be cool.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916441:date=Mar 22 2012, 11:06 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Mar 22 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope not. It sounds good in theory but would further make aliens weaker in the Ranged vs Melee battle. All you can see a lot of times is the aliens head coming towards you.

In a Marine vs Marine mod it would be cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    but perhaps the weakness on an alien (such as the skulk) could be somewhere else besides the head (not too sure where though). I just think if a skulk takes the chance of trying to do damage and eye level, if should pay off a bit more with more damage
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    When jumping on marines head as Skulk I always wished I could act like a Headcrab from Half-Life and I could somehow stick on his head and gain control over his lifeless body or bite off his head somehow - unfortunately neither I can't :p

It'd be real fun to introduce different hitboxes but as already mentioned it'd be really hard to balance them properly.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited March 2012
    if anything, i'd like to see reduced damage when hit on arms, legs, claws and wings.
    edit: and most importantly the heavily armored onos head-shield.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    skulk weakpoint shoudl be its ass
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1916447:date=Mar 23 2012, 12:29 AM:name=deaglecrazy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deaglecrazy @ Mar 23 2012, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but perhaps the weakness on an alien (such as the skulk) could be somewhere else besides the head (not too sure where though). I just think if a skulk takes the chance of trying to do damage and eye level, if should pay off a bit more with more damage<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At first I was like "meh, don't need that". But with that info it sounds good. Don't make the head of the skulk the more vulnerable part. Use the sides of the body for this. This would further increase the value of marine team play, because you would do more damage shooting at the side of a skulk, than on his armored head.

You could even lessen the damage on lerk wings, making it more skill related to kill them and make the lerk more effective in close encounters, as wished. Not to speak of the bone shield of the onos, or a vulnerable back of fades.

<b>Long story short: This could increase the skill ceiling of the whole game and benefit team play. </b>

+1
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    It would increase skill ceiling <b>somewhat</b>, but mostly introduce huge amounts of frustration due to it being more dependent on luck than anything else.
    With the very fast speed of the game and the nature of combat I can't see any real benefit from it. Skulks would have to try jumping up to the marine's head constantly to get the odd lucky hit and kill the marine faster, who's mostly going to be frustrated by not being able to predict how much damage he gets (and also how much he deals out to the skulk, as it will be flailing around like mad).

It would have the same effect if you would miss a bite if your crosshair is right between the legs/feet. 100% frustration, randomized combat.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    First off, it's called locational damage and if the onos has the same skills as first established we already have this through their bone crown as it's reducing damage dealt.

Sure, on paper it sounds good to hinder a lerk getting away by shooting it's wing's membranes or to shoot a lerk in the leg to reduce his mobility, but think off it the other way around: How frustratingly nasty is it to be hit by a stray bullet and knifed (axed) to death?

Or, to add a little marine flavor, a skulk bites of your toes, dies and still you can not escape quick enough from a lerk's green fart cloud.

Certainly a no go, at least with extra damage.
    Invulnerability or infinite damage reduction at least is just as annoying, though.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916584:date=Mar 23 2012, 12:57 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Mar 23 2012, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would increase skill ceiling <b>somewhat</b>, but mostly introduce huge amounts of frustration due to it being more dependent on luck than anything else.
    With the very fast speed of the game and the nature of combat I can't see any real benefit from it. Skulks would have to try jumping up to the marine's head constantly to get the odd lucky hit and kill the marine faster, who's mostly going to be frustrated by not being able to predict how much damage he gets (and also how much he deals out to the skulk, as it will be flailing around like mad).

It would have the same effect if you would miss a bite if your crosshair is right between the legs/feet. 100% frustration, randomized combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Luck? called skills my friend! lol as for the skulk going for the head, gotta plan everything. Hide above and try to drop down to bite that rines head off ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You don't want random damage bursts in this game, it doesn't work well in an asymmetrical (ranged vs melee) game as it is impossible to balance. It works in CS, because that game is completely symmetrical.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    death to locational damage.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think locational damage could be interesting. Actually it naturally makes sense as marine to shoot the unarmoured parts at the first glance until you realize you do the same damage everywhere..
    Also it could make flanking more interesting, as it seems the aliens have rather armoured heads :P
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I don't think it'd work very well in a game where your most common weapon is the shotgun, against things that move extremely fast, it'd effectively just randomise the combat.