Aliens teleport to hive

deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I think it'd be awesome if aliens could some how teleport between hives just like in ns1 (I believe was through the movement chamber) of course not right away and with an upgrades but I really do miss that haha

Comments

• GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I agree, this will probably be added with Shift and I fear that will make shift the main chamber in every game.
    It would probably be a good idea to give the alien commander ability to temporary teleport between hives or to growing hives. We could also go for the ns1 system where you had to damage the hive for it to work.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I only bit the hive to alert the team that there was impending danger to it.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    Later versions of NS1 allowed you to use the hive teleport from hives themselves, reducing the dependency on Movement Chambers somewhat. The only problem with that is NS2 already has a function for using hives, and making it so that the teleport can only be used from a hive if there's already a commander is a bit of a kludge.

What would be a good way of making that feature available in NS2 without Shifts?
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    Perhaps the alien commander can have its own type of recall? Bringing all the aliens to a specific hive (much like the rines) but have it somewhat different in a way.. not sure
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915309:date=Mar 19 2012, 11:16 PM:name=Uzguz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzguz @ Mar 19 2012, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Later versions of NS1 allowed you to use the hive teleport from hives themselves, reducing the dependency on Movement Chambers somewhat. The only problem with that is NS2 already has a function for using hives, and making it so that the teleport can only be used from a hive if there's already a commander is a bit of a kludge.

What would be a good way of making that feature available in NS2 without Shifts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Create a new structure similar to something like the nydus wurm from sc2. I hope they're smart enough not to attach it to a shift structure.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915761:date=Mar 21 2012, 05:41 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Mar 21 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Create a new structure similar to something like the nydus wurm from sc2. I hope they're smart enough not to attach it to a shift structure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    tbh I don't care what they attach it too I just want to see this feature on this game lol
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915956:date=Mar 21 2012, 12:27 PM:name=deaglecrazy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deaglecrazy @ Mar 21 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tbh I don't care what they attach it too I just want to see this feature on this game lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Problem is if they attach it to Shift chambers, then it will become a requirement to go Shift hive first taking away any options the Aliens would have.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited March 2012
    Perhaps allow Players to interact with a Cyst to teleport to the nearest/under attack Hive? Make it a costly upgrade like 30 Tres?

Or have the ability enabled by default and make it cost PRes for lifeforms that "use" a Cyst.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916190:date=Mar 22 2012, 05:15 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Mar 22 2012, 05:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Problem is if they attach it to Shift chambers, then it will become a requirement to go Shift hive first taking away any options the Aliens would have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Er, why?

I mean, you aren't going to have more than one hive to teleport to until hive 2, and you generally don't want to teleport back to the starting hive while protecting hive 2.

Honestly I would have thought it'd be the least useful starting hive unless you get really good upgrades with it or something.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1916193:date=Mar 22 2012, 04:03 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Mar 22 2012, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Er, why?

I mean, you aren't going to have more than one hive to teleport to until hive 2, and you generally don't want to teleport back to the starting hive while protecting hive 2.

Honestly I would have thought it'd be the least useful starting hive unless you get really good upgrades with it or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In NS1, whenever a hive took damage, it would briefly become the first priority teleport target, even while under construction. In competitive matches, with FF on, the Gorge responsible for building it would stand guard there, and spit at it to make it an available teleport target if enemies approached (because waiting for them to shoot it was suicide); later versions of NS1 brought that stratagem to public servers by making it so that pressing +use on an incomplete hive would trigger the same window. Since you can't command from an unbuilt hive anyway, including that feature in the NS2 version would be a simple matter.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916199:date=Mar 22 2012, 07:31 AM:name=Uzguz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzguz @ Mar 22 2012, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1, whenever a hive took damage, it would briefly become the first priority teleport target, even while under construction. In competitive matches, with FF on, the Gorge responsible for building it would stand guard there, and spit at it to make it an available teleport target if enemies approached (because waiting for them to shoot it was suicide); later versions of NS1 brought that stratagem to public servers by making it so that pressing +use on an incomplete hive would trigger the same window. Since you can't command from an unbuilt hive anyway, including that feature in the NS2 version would be a simple matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That... seems really dumb.

Not only because it makes building hives really easy, but because it's incredibly unintuitive and fiddly.

+use on the chamber to teleport you out of the game, bring up a map, click where you want to go, with viable locations being constant and highlighted, you teleport back into the game.

I'd much prefer if phase gates worked the same way too.

I really don't think unbuilt hives should be valid targets for a teleport though, the point of them is that they're something you have to protect while being a bit stretched out, if you can effectively spawn at them by using a movement chamber that goes away. Not to mention the ease of sneaking a drifter behind the lines because they cost next to nothing, then dropping an instantly active, regenerating phase gate with as much HP as the command centre.