Server Downloads

Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
edited February 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Any idea when we might see this?

It was expected a while back with gorilla but there's been no news of it since, there's more mods appearing as time goes on but very few will get any play until uwe does something about it.

Comments

• Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Would be nice to know whats going on.
    The forums seem more active lately, thread keeps dropping off the front page before it gets a chance to be seen by the devs, just a quick update on progress would be nice? :P
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    Probably canceled for v1.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    It is the single most important advantage Lua has (its sandboxed nature), if only server-side mods will be feasable in the release-version they might as well have stuck with C++ entirely. I'm still assuming it'll be in before summer, which is still quite a ways removed (though they best get work started on it now).
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    2nd most important thing is getting custom server music when you join big servers like the bad clan.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think this is that important compared to the large amount of work that the devs already have on their plate. It will come along, but not for a while.
    It's quite important to the map/mod community and the chances of the games success, we already know maps are in short supply and promises were made, it was expected some time ago when map rotation was added and they were working on file checking stuff, i doubt it's anywhere near as difficult to add as other stuff, we're talking about the ability to download files from a server and check they match up, now they probably have most of the checks in place the download part should be easy enough to add, leaving this any longer i think is a bit disrespectful to the community working on content which will only help the game succeed, we've waited long enough already and if they dared to delay it past v1 it would be a huge slap in the face to everyone working on stuff.
    edited March 2012
    Hmm, i think uwe's silence on this issue now is getting a little odd, mainly based on some of the comments posted in the skulk thread, i hope im wrong but i don't think they intend to give us proper mod support any time soon, perhaps not even in a reasonable time after 1.0, which is bad news for the mod community if true?
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    don't worry guys, within 6 months the game will have fully functional modding support.

as well as exoskeletons, miniguns, balanced gameplay, an optimized engine, tons of maps, a fixed alien commander, and a working skilled movement system. did i miss anything?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    edit: i'm done trying to promote a better attitude within the community. say whatever rude crap you want, no one will remember your negativity anyways once this game hits the steam store.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909531:date=Mar 3 2012, 02:56 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 3 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yea, you did:

it will also have less people like you who never have anything good to say.

why do you come to these forums again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably the internet.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Would love to see server-side mod downloads before the v1.0 release, but I can understand if come crunch time, its one of those features that gets delayed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1909531:date=Mar 3 2012, 01:56 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 3 2012, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->edit: i'm done trying to promote a better attitude within the community. say whatever rude crap you want, no one will remember your negativity anyways once this game hits the steam store.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have i missed something, looks like posts have been deleted?
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    You're like a dog with a bone Mr. Electr0, but I agree, it should be put in before v1.0, and if not at the very least a timely notification that it won't.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have i missed something, looks like posts have been deleted?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nah it was just ironhorse responding to TrueVeritas.
    <!--quoteo(post=1909604:date=Mar 3 2012, 04:51 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 3 2012, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're like a dog with a bone Mr. Electr0, but I agree, it should be put in before v1.0, and if not at the very least a timely notification that it won't.

Nah it was just ironhorse responding to TrueVeritas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a relief, i thought something was up with my post getting deleted in another thread, anyway you're right im very interested in this subject because i know the potential it has, the sooner we get it the better imo, once it's in it's in and a whole world of fun opens up, sadly part of my suspects uwe may be deliberately holding back at this point, presuming file checking is in or soon to be, theres no good excuse to not add it, certainly should appear before release if they hope to have a reasonable amount of maps and content for us to play.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm pretty sure they're holding it back so they can get the needed test data and bug reports for the main game. Server downloads will probably be activated right before or right on the release of the game. They aren't trying to shoot modders or themselves in the foot, they're keeping the community focused on the things that need to be tested to make the game better.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    I really don't care so much about <i>mod </i>downloads, what I do care about is <i><b>map </b></i>downloads.

Just one letter, but a great big impact :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1909724:date=Mar 3 2012, 08:02 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Mar 3 2012, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really don't care so much about <i>mod </i>downloads, what I do care about is <i><b>map </b></i>downloads.

Just one letter, but a great big impact :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I also agree that the latter is the most important. I suspect that the marginal time of adding mod downloads to map downloads is low, such that we'll probably get both together. However, I could view a scenario in which UWE postpones both until after the v1.0 release and instead releases a selection of 8-10 official maps (by making some of the current custom maps official).
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1908073:date=Feb 28 2012, 09:06 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 28 2012, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2nd most important thing is getting custom server music when you join big servers like the bad clan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh hell no.
    So can a dev please clear this up once and for all, are you guys holding back full mod support on purpose or just don't care enough to give us it?

Im guessing file checks are working now, i believe they were nearly done around Christmas, map rotation works which is great, though we don't know if a server is pure or not which is a problem, fix that and all we need then is a small amount of work to get downloads working and we're sorted.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Probably so they can gather accurate information on the real game, if every server is running mods it will be next to impossible to balance and add or make changes to the game, how can you not see this, i dont think a dev even needs to say it?

Though I would like to see maps being downloaded, im getting very bored of summit and mineshaft.
  • HemiHemi Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145362Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909800:date=Mar 4 2012, 09:47 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 4 2012, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh hell no.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Playing with the music of Alien/Aliens/Alien3... you might reconsider... :P
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1909748:date=Mar 4 2012, 06:08 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 4 2012, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also agree that the latter is the most important. I suspect that the marginal time of adding mod downloads to map downloads is low, such that we'll probably get both together. However, I could view a scenario in which UWE postpones both until after the v1.0 release and instead releases a selection of 8-10 official maps (by making some of the current custom maps official).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just read somewhere, I think it was the reddit q&a's, that NS2 is going to ship with 4 maps. More added later. Kind of like the TF2 model. Release a working game, then expand it over time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1910888:date=Mar 7 2012, 02:45 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Mar 7 2012, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably so they can gather accurate information on the real game, if every server is running mods it will be next to impossible to balance and add or make changes to the game, how can you not see this, i dont think a dev even needs to say it?

Though I would like to see maps being downloaded, im getting very bored of summit and mineshaft.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haven't you heard? Servers are already running mods, mostly balance changes and tweaks and you don't even know it, this is why we need to make it clear whether a server is pure or not and at the same time give the game full mod support.

<!--quoteo(post=1910917:date=Mar 7 2012, 05:51 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Mar 7 2012, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just read somewhere, I think it was the reddit q&a's, that NS2 is going to ship with 4 maps. More added later. Kind of like the TF2 model. Release a working game, then expand it over time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Im sorry but 4 maps is rather pathetic, at the very least they should let us to download maps for now to make up for it, im also tired of the maps we've got and the game isn't even released yet.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think map wise this is very important, as recent experiences show. Most of the time I have had the beta summit was the only available (performance and balance wise) map. For a while now turtle has been the most balanced map for matches (and best performance), yet it cannot realistically be played on public servers due to the map download problem. Games played on balanced maps are much more valuable than otherwise for generating feedback and balance statistics.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    4 maps at release is not true.

We have:
    Mineshaft, Tram, Summit

- <u>Docking</u> by Dux - official mapper.
    - Maybe <u>Refinery</u> by Insane and Dux.
    - <u>Discovery</u> by Oli (who made rockdown with Dux)
    - <u>Veil</u> by fmpone which might get official? (at least i think he got playtester, and the map testing will be done by the official playtester group)
    - Maybe <u>SgtBarlows map</u> - the one he worked on before focusing on Mineshaft?
    - Maybe <u>Eclipse</u> by Remedy which could get official and ready till the end of summer too.

So worse case would only be 5 official maps at release day. (Docking will be 100% ready by release and Veil too)

Inofficial there is currently turtle which is very good gameplay wise, tho not as perfect from a visual standpoint.
    And some others...
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910949:date=Mar 7 2012, 02:31 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Mar 7 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haven't you heard? Servers are already running mods, mostly balance changes and tweaks and you don't even know it, this is why we need to make it clear whether a server is pure or not and at the same time give the game full mod support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh really, servers are running mods already.

/sarcasm off
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I would hope they prioritize

1. maps download
    2. pure server flag in server browser
    3. mods download
    <!--quoteo(post=1910971:date=Mar 7 2012, 08:52 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Mar 7 2012, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh really, servers are running mods already.
    /sarcasm off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your point?

I argue we should have full mod support now to know whether a server is pure or not as it has been shown some server admins have made server side balance and other changes for sometime now, this may negatively affect the feedback uwe gets, it's happening whether they like it or not so they may as well get on and give us full proper support, that way we can see and choose which servers we play on, there won't be a shortage of official servers so i don't see what they're worried about, if anything it will help the game grow and we may end up with more improvements becoming part of the official game, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    <!--quoteo(post=1910917:date=Mar 7 2012, 03:51 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Mar 7 2012, 03:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just read somewhere, I think it was the reddit q&a's, that NS2 is going to ship with 4 maps. More added later. Kind of like the TF2 model. Release a working game, then expand it over time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think its really an either-or situation either you
    - Have a few official maps and custom map downloads or
    - Have a bunch of official maps and no custom map downloads

What you're suggesting is a recipe for disaster.