Gorge goo walls

13»

Comments

• StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Aliens should be accelerated while running through the stuff. That way you have multipurpose networks of goo that help both passive and active defense.

Make it possible for gorges to relocate the goo nodes freely , to reshape highways or move the front forward.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905926:date=Feb 22 2012, 06:56 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 22 2012, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what if, and I say what if....we gave umbra back to the lerk? wouldn't this do exact same thing charlie trying to do with this "goo wall".

we already know how well umbra can work in the hands of the lerk, so what's stopping us from giving it back to him? And don't tell me the way umbra currently works is fine..

IF you want to give the gorge some sort of web-like goo, just change the web to look like sticky-goo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Charlie wants the lerk to be in the thick of battle rather than...well, lurking. A name change is in order?
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    I am all for this. I think that this will help realize the full potential of the DI, and making structure walls as an Gorge in NS1 was a blast! This might actually be an official implementation of this tactic.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1905843:date=Feb 22 2012, 07:43 AM:name=Tane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tane @ Feb 22 2012, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really like the idea, webs never really worked in NS1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Web was probably one of the most useful things ever. A single gorge using web properly could stop multiple marines from doing anything at all, even with JPs or HA. I remember lots of end game situations where you would run in, web up their base and watch the rest of your team tear them to bits.

As for the goo wall, I honestly dont understand the concept at all and must see it in practice before I can make any sort of judgement.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I think it'd be pretty cool if the Gorge created goo strands that stretched over time into goo walls (like infestation grow over time), sorta like a build time I suppose. Lets Marines that catch a gooing Gorge off-guard and dispatch the wall with ease.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906159:date=Feb 23 2012, 06:27 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 23 2012, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it'd be pretty cool if the Gorge created goo strands that stretched over time into goo walls (like infestation grow over time), sorta like a build time I suppose. Lets Marines that catch a gooing Gorge off-guard and dispatch the wall with ease.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded and take it even further... it should <i>be</i> infestation. Infestation growing in a way that it wouldn't otherwise, under the direction of the gorge.

I would also toy with the idea that it can't be shot at with bullets and "die". Flamethrowers, switch-axe, grenades sure. Maybe bullets reduce it back to its 0% built stage, but not completely remove it.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906162:date=Feb 22 2012, 11:44 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Feb 22 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seconded and take it even further... it should <i>be</i> infestation. Infestation growing in a way that it wouldn't otherwise, under the direction of the gorge.

I would also toy with the idea that it can't be shot at with bullets and "die". Flamethrowers, switch-axe, grenades sure. Maybe bullets reduce it back to its 0% built stage, but not completely remove it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thirded, and perhaps it could be counted as geometry so eventually infestation mesh (hopefully!) could grow over the goo by using it as a base, making some neat looking infestation blockades/webs :)

I still like the idea of the wall shrinking based on damage taken, reducing it to nothing but a small goo strand prime for the weed cutting.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Slightly OT, but first gorges spit, then regurgitate bile, then spread sticky white goo on the walls, is this turning into some extreme pron movie?
  • ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1905631:date=Feb 22 2012, 01:26 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 22 2012, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>We've got a basic version of "goo walls" implemented</b>, which allow the Gorge to build a wall of goo (with 2 hives and at a cost of personal resources). The idea here is that he can protect areas from attack, as the goo itself blocks shots and takes damage. It also currently doesn't block marine movement entirely but slows them down when they walk through it. I think this works pretty well so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could we get some concept art or in-game screenshots to get an impression of what you're trying to achieve with this? I really can't seem to get an idea of what it looks like: cubes, blobs, strands...
    <!--quoteo(post=1906188:date=Feb 23 2012, 01:06 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Feb 23 2012, 01:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906188"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Slightly OT, but first gorges spit, then regurgitate bile, then spread sticky white goo on the walls, is this turning into some extreme pron movie?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116589" target="_blank">The Answers You Seek Lay Within.</a>

But yeah, screenshot or two should help us get a better idea.