In what capacity does NS2 use PhysX?

SpacecraftSpacecraft Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143398Members
I am an ATI gpu user, and PhysX can destroy a game for our cards. I know some games don't use PhysX to hobble the competition like Mafia 2 and Mirror's Edge did. Stuff like Metro2033 uses PhysX and since I'm using an ATI card I get terrible performance with advanced PhysX turned on.

Is NS2 using it in some way that gives nvidia cards an edge?

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    right now physx is software only so nvidia cards with it don't really perform any better.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899485:date=Feb 3 2012, 07:21 PM:name=Spacecraft)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spacecraft @ Feb 3 2012, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am an ATI gpu user, and PhysX can destroy a game for our cards. I know some games don't use PhysX to hobble the competition like Mafia 2 and Mirror's Edge did. Stuff like Metro2033 uses PhysX and since I'm using an ATI card I get terrible performance with advanced PhysX turned on.

Is NS2 using it in some way that gives nvidia cards an edge?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's because you're not suppose to turn it on without Physx. PhysX doesn't destroy any games. I played through Metro just fine on my ATi card by not enabling an option my hardware doesn't support.
  • SpacecraftSpacecraft Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143398Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899486:date=Feb 3 2012, 05:31 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Feb 3 2012, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->right now physx is software only so nvidia cards with it don't really perform any better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay then, that's good. Guess all I can do about my FPS is wait for more patches.

<!--quoteo(post=1899490:date=Feb 3 2012, 05:49 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Feb 3 2012, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's because you're not suppose to turn it on without Physx. PhysX doesn't destroy any games. I played through Metro just fine on my ATi card by not enabling an option my hardware doesn't support.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I meant, with it on it destroys the game. It's a stupid cheap tactic by Nvidia to get people to use their cards. Look at Mafia 2. The game looks 10 fold better with PhysX on, but there is no reason to use PhysX to do what they needed in the game. Google "Mafia 2 PhysX comparison" and you'll see how profound a difference it has. BF3 has way more bits of rubble and junk flying around than that game, and I didn't need an Nvidia card for it. ATI cards can do the same thing ( or rather, it's been done on the CPU for years), but Nvidia created a proprietary system and paid developers to use it and lock out ATI users from the advanced physics.

But all that is irrelevant since NS2 doesn't do this.