When does the game end?

internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
edited January 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">It's a rhetorical question</div>One thing that I think isn't clear to people in this game is "when the game ends"

I don't mean the win conditions - people know that you wipe out all the hives, or the IPs and command chair, and that kind of thing.

What I'm talking about is the phenomenon where a team that is winning by a gigantic margin doesn't just go and win with a big attack...then the game drags out for half an hour and control flips to the other team after half the players get bored and leave. Right now about half the pub games of NS2 take over an hour to resolve when one team has had an enormous advantage the entire time (usually ending in a whip rush or arc train because players are afraid to use their guns).

Right now this happens because the game is an immature state - players don't understand the mechanics let alone the strategy, and some still suffer from bad performance etc.

However, the same problem ultimately happened a lot in NS1 pubs as well - people just don't know how to end the game, and the game doesn't end for them even when they control all but one square inch of the map.

In <b>Starcraft</b>, this is solved by having a limited amount of money on the map. Eventually, you can run out of resources to mine, which limits your production. If the enemy has a stranglehold on available mining sites, you try to attack and take them back, or you try to kill your opponent in one fell swoop. If you fail, you have lost and the game ends. This is a mechanic that's in nearly all RTS games, and it serves very well.

In the Half-Life mod <b>"Science & Industry"</b> the game is played for a fixed amount of time. The team's score is their 'profits' - everything you do affects the money going in or out of your company. If you die and respawn, you just cost the company $750 (the cost of cloning!), or if you have more scientists working for you than the enemy team, you make money faster. At the end of the set time, the team that made more money wins. It's the same idea as in Starcraft, but the point where no resources remain is always where the game ends (time runs out).

<b>What I want to discuss should be obvious at this point:</b> why doesn't NS/NS2 have a similar concept? Has it ever been playtested? I think it would do a lot to improve the dynamics of this game if resource nodes had limited supplies, respawning cost some kind of resource and so on. Is it possible to implement something like that in this game and keep it relatively simple, to match the overall NS design pattern? Is it possible to make players actually care about even more numbers and strategic concepts when some of them just want to set aliens on fire?

I'm not sure. Discuss!

Comments

• Paradox MonkeyParadox Monkey Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61969Members
    edited January 2012
    Pretty much any changes made to address this issue would have dramatic effects on the game; I'd say it's not a big enough issue to warrant such drastic response. The occasional deadlocked game in NS was never that annoying for me, whereas adding an aspect like limited resources or a time limit would have made it a much different game.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    A much different game, yes. But worse? I'm not sure. I just want to know if it has been tried and what happened...or see if there's a way to try it in NS2.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You have to remember you're not playing a game that has all content implemented, and the resulting dragging out of rounds is to come with an incomplete game. Putting a timer on something that will be resolved in the near future isn't really worth the dev's time at this point.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Resource limit would be interesting. That would actually make games a lot more dynamic as parts of the map became more or less strategically valuable through the game. The one difficulty with this is that you really would have to scale down the defensive leverage given by static d, as turtling would become extremely effective (it takes many times the number of resources to take out a well-defended emplacement than it does to create it), and lead to stalemates.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Every game has this problem to some extent in where the game doesn't end at the point where one side has little to no chance of victory. Ideally, there would be one (or more) game mechanics that would cause the losing team to lose fast once their point of no return has been crossed. Since that is very hard to get right, more realistically something like the following would likely need to be implemented.

- Superweapon or superupgrade that gives the winning side a huge advantaged once researched/deployed/purchased
    - An additional domination victory condition (e.g. holding all the technodes except one for X mins, Civ series-style)
    - A time limit (e.g. Nuclear Dawn-style)
    - Resource depletion (e.g. SC1/2-style)
    - A ticket system, where each side gets a limited number of spawning tickets (e.g. Empiresmod-style)
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I don't like resource limits, or tickets. NS1 didn't have these and there were relatively few drawn out games in the later versions.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    I always liked that even if one team wins with 99% chance from a certain point, the other team has still 1% chance to turn the game.

I remember a game that lasted more than 3h in NS1 (no one left the Server, a Pub one), rines got overrun at MS so they got to do a emergency reloc to biodome, this was after around 1h game time. After 2 more hours the rines got a sneak PG up. Commander beconed all build the PG in MS and all but one phased to kill the hive. Another sneaked another PG up at another hive. Aliens were down to 1 hive. But they attacked biodome in the maintime.
    The rines all walked to the last hive to kill it. They managed it to kill it and then they died by OCs.
    We hear the bing for some secs but it stopped, so new hive somewhere. Com builds an new obs, armory and armslab. Build the obs and does a beacon, drops welders and the rines killed the hive and the last gorge with welders.

Even with 4 Hives in NS2 if you don't play as team you can't win. F.e. A commander, a gorge sitting in FC, another in DC, some suicide skulks, a sitting duck lerk, 1 pro Fade, 1pro Lerk, and 1 AFK. How to win if Marines start moving in a group of 5 with ARCs?

IMO it is not the problem that ppl "don't know" how to end a game it is the problem, that they don't act as team or are only looking to get more kills.
    I ended the game several times alone by just harrasing the powernode as Lerk or Gorge while my teammates were no even near me. And that is frustrating. Alot of ppl play NS2 like you would play CoD.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Obviously we just need super expensive stalemate breakers. That way when you control most of the map you can turn your res into some ultra devastating doomsday device that finishes off the turtlers.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    I expect this problem will disappear once onos and exo get into the game.

I forget if res for kills is still in the game, but if it is and the kill switch still isn't strong enough, you could have rfk disabled if you only control one res node, thus making the res differential even stronger.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like the idea of res limits arbitrarily shortening the game. If a team is stuck on one base they shouldn't have the res to defend themselves against a team that controls the map anyway. And if they're not stuck on one base then they haven't lost yet. Aliens obviously aren't able to hold in this situation because of the limits imposed on them by only having one hive, especially when marines get their higher tech. Marines right now can turtle quite easily because the aliens don't have any solid means to break the base, but hopefully the Onos will help with this, and maybe eventually 3 hive abilities?
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    I had hoped there would be oxygen and gravity switches in NS2. That the aliens could release the air-lock or the marines could increase gravity (keeping the aliens from jumping,flying,blinking). So if a team does get XXX res and control a certain area they can create a circumstance that keeps the opposite team from being able to get any (player) frags..
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1896643:date=Jan 22 2012, 06:36 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jan 22 2012, 06:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I expect this problem will disappear once onos and exo get into the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i've been waiting for this game changer since early alphas :)
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Hmm i loved the old ns1 games which can take over 40 minutes and longer.
    It was just exciting...aliens was going to win but marines don't gave up or rage quit and the clean more of the map, but then aliens fight back until at the end, some team won.
    These old times where so great!
    But spawning cost res or res. nodes are limited with res., i don't know if this would destroy the fun or make it better.
    The game use lua, i am sure some kind of these mods will come ;-)
    But the game is not done, so creating a mod now, may result in lost work, because next patch changes something deep.
    Also, i guess nobody knows how to use animations for models.
    <!--quoteo(post=1896643:date=Jan 22 2012, 10:36 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Jan 22 2012, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I expect this problem will disappear once onos and exo get into the game.

I forget if res for kills is still in the game, but if it is and the kill switch still isn't strong enough, you could have rfk disabled if you only control one res node, thus making the res differential even stronger.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah we just did this..it was mass bile bombing

and it was a total waste of time when we could've started a new game instead :)
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I have suggested the resources expiring several times.
    But was shot down among a hail of shouting.
    For me it was more a method to promote expansion.

So since the expiring resources will probably never be tried
    the true answer is improving coordination tools between the commander and the troops.
    "everyone pigpile on this area"

The marines recently got plenty of love in this area and I find waypoints are used more often and actually followed.
    The aliens UWE are currently working on a pheremones communication device...and I hope it helps resolve this last push effort to topple the team.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Sirlin calls this a lame-duck situation, where one team has basically lost but it takes awhile before the game actually ends. I don't like the idea of implementing res limits or super weapons as I feel it's a sort of quick fix to this problem and it creates other problems as well. It's not much fun fighting a close game only for the other team to get the super weapon just before you causing you to lose.

<!--quoteo(post=1896549:date=Jan 22 2012, 04:26 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Jan 22 2012, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In <b>Starcraft</b>, this is solved by having a limited amount of money on the map. Eventually, you can run out of resources to mine, which limits your production. If the enemy has a stranglehold on available mining sites, you try to attack and take them back, or you try to kill your opponent in one fell swoop. If you fail, you have lost and the game ends. This is a mechanic that's in nearly all RTS games, and it serves very well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, this situation also happens in SC (as well as most other RTS games). It's just that when you watch a casted match, the players always say "gg" before the game is actually over. If they actually waited till everything had been destroyed it would be a bit boring. I think this works fine in SC because most games are 1v1. It's a lot harder to get 15 people on your team to agree to concede and join the ready room.

I think the main reason it happens at the moment is simply sentry guns are too powerful. If I am playing on alien and the marines have several sentries in their main, then it just becomes off limits for me. I just camp outside the base and attack them where I know it's safe. I'd like to go in and destroy the base but at the moment the aliens aren't really very good at taking down sentries. Marines who group together effectively double their fire power as they can both shoot the 1 target at the same time. This makes a group of marines camping in a sentry filled base a very effective defence.

I think once sentry guns are balanced and aliens have effective ways to destroy buildings then this issue will go away.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited January 2012
    I think the way the game works at the moment is set up for this slow death kind of end game. Perhaps some new gameplay-mechanics should be introduced to cause a more powerful, but shortlived style of fighting. What I mean is:

The teams can organise themselves together for a quick, but powerful attack, boosted by abilities and commander effects (nano shield is an example, but I'm talking other effects) that allows a team to rush a single enemy position and take it out... but if they fail the rush, then (because these sort of "super rushes", cost a lot of resources) they would be vulnerable to a counter attack. Hell, even if they succeed, they'd still be vulnerable to a counter attack.

But what I mean, instead of the games progressing with slow attacks (marines moving slowly, destroying one cyst at a time). There are frequent, but concentrated outbursts of power to attack a single enemy base and take it (for example, capturing computer lab in summit), that every time an attack happens, there is the risk of making a mistake and losing the game, but if you don't take the enemy base, the enemy will win quickly too(because the enemy can do a "super rush" too).

The main thing I want to stress is the fact that it would require extra abilities, weapons, maybe even units.

Addition: also, I agree that there should be limited resources per game... Have a total pool available, and each res node draws from that single pool. This means that each point is still valuable until all resources are gone.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    internetexplorer you mad :P Naw for sure, right now if marines turtle with mines and sents they will win......unless you get aliens to work a s a team and bum rush with fads and gorges. GG btw :P Need a fix, but like others say we wont know till game is complete.
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1896716:date=Jan 22 2012, 05:52 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jan 22 2012, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, this situation also happens in SC (as well as most other RTS games). It's just that when you watch a casted match, the players always say "gg" before the game is actually over. If they actually waited till everything had been destroyed it would be a bit boring. I think this works fine in SC because most games are 1v1. It's a lot harder to get 15 people on your team to agree to concede and join the ready room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They say gg when they know the game is unwinnable, because the game allows you to do that. In NS, the equivalent is recycling infantry portals (which gets you ostracized from the server), or for the aliens...nothing! It's also considered bad manners to sit in an unwinnable game just messing around and wasting the opponent's time (like it should be in a pub with 20 players).

I agree about sentries etc being the cause, but not necessarily that they're too powerful. Maybe just too *annoying*.

<!--quoteo(post=1896718:date=Jan 22 2012, 06:09 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Jan 22 2012, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the way the game works at the moment is set up for this slow death kind of end game. Perhaps some new gameplay-mechanics should be introduced to cause a more powerful, but shortlived style of fighting. What I mean is:

The teams can organise themselves together for a quick, but powerful attack, boosted by abilities and commander effects (nano shield is an example, but I'm talking other effects) that allows a team to rush a single enemy position and take it out... but if they fail the rush, then (because these sort of "super rushes", cost a lot of resources) they would be vulnerable to a counter attack. Hell, even if they succeed, they'd still be vulnerable to a counter attack.

But what I mean, instead of the games progressing with slow attacks (marines moving slowly, destroying one cyst at a time). There are frequent, but concentrated outbursts of power to attack a single enemy base and take it (for example, capturing computer lab in summit), that every time an attack happens, there is the risk of making a mistake and losing the game, but if you don't take the enemy base, the enemy will win quickly too(because the enemy can do a "super rush" too).

The main thing I want to stress is the fact that it would require extra abilities, weapons, maybe even units.

Addition: also, I agree that there should be limited resources per game... Have a total pool available, and each res node draws from that single pool. This means that each point is still valuable until all resources are gone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All interesting ideas. How much effort is it to put stuff like this together with LUA or whatever and try it?

<!--quoteo(post=1896719:date=Jan 22 2012, 06:23 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Jan 22 2012, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->internetexplorer you mad :P Naw for sure, right now if marines turtle with mines and sents they will win......unless you get aliens to work a s a team and bum rush with fads and gorges. GG btw :P Need a fix, but like others say we wont know till game is complete.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha I posted this thread before that game today, but it was a perfect example for sure
    (also a great example of aliens refusing to coordinate and making fools of themselves)

Also just a quick random thought: fades having acid rockets helps alleviate this problem. They can support gorges who are bilebombing (and kill people who try to attack the gorges) but they can add to the ranged attack, which is what you have to do against a wall of mines and turrets. I'm sure there are ways to affect this without repeating NS1 over again, though.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1896736:date=Jan 23 2012, 12:06 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Jan 23 2012, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They say gg when they know the game is unwinnable, because the game allows you to do that. In NS, the equivalent is recycling infantry portals (which gets you ostracized from the server), or for the aliens...nothing! It's also considered bad manners to sit in an unwinnable game just messing around and wasting the opponent's time (like it should be in a pub with 20 players).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's hardly the game that's "allowing" them to do it. They just say gg and quit out. Easy to do on a 1v1.

In NS the problem with recycling the base is that there is bound to be some people who get pissed off because they are clueless and still thought they had a chance at winning. The equivalent would really be the entire team joining the ready room, but you almost never see that happening. It's too hard to get everyone to agree when the round is lost. The game really needs to be designed so that these situations don't happen and once teams have a big enough advantages they can quickly destroy the base to end it.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    The NS equivalent of "gg" in SC is "rr".
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Though that's usually interpreted as an order, like "go to rr already, im bored" rather than "ah damn they outskilled us, lets concede"
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    (TEAM) 1 player has voted to concede the round.
    (TEAM) 2 players have voted to concede the round.
    (TEAM) 3 players have voted to concede the round.
    (TEAM) 4 players have voted to concede the round.
    (ALL) The majority of the team have voted to concede the round.

<Round over>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1896937:date=Jan 23 2012, 12:42 PM:name=TinCan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TinCan @ Jan 23 2012, 12:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(TEAM) 1 player has voted to concede the round.
    (TEAM) 2 players have voted to concede the round.
    (TEAM) 3 players have voted to concede the round.
    (TEAM) 4 players have voted to concede the round.
    (ALL) The majority of the team have voted to concede the round.

<Round over><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That (sort of) works, but I view it more as a kludge rather than an appropriate game mechanic. While chess-style concede works in RTS games, it doesn't do very well in FPSs. Still, a lot of the competitive matches I've played in NS2 end via one-side rring.
    Because I'm absolutely sick of seeing it in games, I'm going to throw this out there:

Aliens are afraid of ending a game they've won. Their brains rot while remaining idle for too long and they let marines start retaking the map when they should not be able to by any means.

Prove me wrong!
  • rhysjones81rhysjones81 Join Date: 2007-10-05 Member: 62548Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with the Onos and Heavy armour suggestion. Onos's can rape whole bases alone, meaning marines are forced to work together to tackle them.

HA Trains are ###### devastating to skulks gorges and lerks due to invul to gas, and tbh fades had a hard time with them too. Onos's that pissed about too much also got smashed by the HMG's that usually accompanied the HA's.

I guess the morale here is this is still a beta, we haven;t got all the cards on the table yet, and perhaps for topics like this we should wait until they 'finally' finish the game and let us devour people like back in NS 1.

its gonna rock!
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897187:date=Jan 24 2012, 09:33 PM:name=rhysjones81)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rhysjones81 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with the Onos and Heavy armour suggestion. Onos's can rape whole bases alone, meaning marines are forced to work together to tackle them.

HA Trains are ###### devastating to skulks gorges and lerks due to invul to gas, and tbh fades had a hard time with them too. Onos's that pissed about too much also got smashed by the HMG's that usually accompanied the HA's.

I guess the morale here is this is still a beta, we haven;t got all the cards on the table yet, and perhaps for topics like this we should wait until they 'finally' finish the game and let us devour people like back in NS 1.

its gonna rock!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a solid idea in general, but I still remember playing NS1 less than a couple years ago and seeing tons of games drag out because of how the resource model is set up. Even with hivewalk allowing the whole alien team to teleport into the marines' base, it wasn't always possible to end games as easily as I would like. Why do I want to end games easily when they're "decided"? So you can start another one and everyone can try again. I'm sure there's gotta be some kind of flipped bathtub curve for player excitement in games over time - somebody find it!
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    Sentries were too powerful a few updates ago, but bile bomb makes short work of them now.

I've only seen one long stalemate in the latest patch, due to good fades being mostly unkillable and gorges ramboing with bile bomb while marines had enough res to keep taking out the third hive. I think it would have been easily resolved by onos or heavy armor.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1896636:date=Jan 22 2012, 03:15 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Jan 22 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously we just need super expensive stalemate breakers. That way when you control most of the map you can turn your res into some ultra devastating doomsday device that finishes off the turtlers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ARC? Onos?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I'm kind of worried how much pressure the onos is having as a game finisher. It certainly can do that, but at the same time I'd like to see it also as a viable unit among the others rather than some cinematic doomsday creature that rolls over marine fortifications like paper mass props.

Maybe some heavy teching might make it grow stronger when a finisher is needed, but all that requires time. You probably don't want to spend that many minutes just waiting for the 3rd hive and then sufficient upgrades just because you need a game finisher.