Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 178 (ns2_summit, bloom, blink, etc.)

13»

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851318:date=Jun 9 2011, 03:20 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jun 9 2011, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder how it would work if skulks, lerks, and gorges were allowed to go through marine phasegates. Might be interesting to test out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mostly 'cause having a free path back to the Marine main base is a bad idea....
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    Sorry if this is fixed already, but I haven't been following all that close attention to the development the last month.

Has the problem with marines constantly jumping to get away form the skulk bite area been fixed?
    Couldn't see anything about it in the list.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    It's alright for me until I get into a fight and that's where performance hits the floor. Feels alright running around levels andw hat not but when you're getting shot at.... feels crap :S

Also, sometimes it still feels as though Skulk is sticking to stuff like rails and you can't jump when you're on them.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1851444:date=Jun 10 2011, 10:00 AM:name=Odda2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Odda2k @ Jun 10 2011, 10:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has the problem with marines constantly jumping to get away form the skulk bite area been fixed?
    Couldn't see anything about it in the list.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's a lot easier to hit people with bite now but bunny hopping as a marine is still ridiculously effective, especially on a laggy server. It's really annoying when you sneak up on a marine, miss the first bite, he notices you and starts mashing space and is rendered effectively invincible :P
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    When I play as marine, jumping makes me able to survive for long, but when I play as skulk, I am still able to kill them most of the time. So imho, it is perfect atm! xD

I think that the rfk they added this build is a good thing, but I dislike that they removed the extractors upgrade. As it is now, aliens get plasma painfully slow when they dont kill anyone, which is very noticeable for gorges.
    I like how extractors got nerfed, especially when it comes to carbon, as the comm almost get to much (atleast compared to how hard it is to make infestation to expand this build), but I think that the comm should be able to spend some of this carbon to upgrade the extractors in order to produce more plasma.

The fade is also nearly op atm, I am not sure if it is because of marines not cooperating correctly, but when aliens got fades, marines is somewhat doomed. I noticed the only viable tactic is to shotgun-suicide-rush one of the hives, preferably with 1 ft just to lower the fades adrenaline (and thus killing speed). When the second hive is down all you have to do is kill the fades (which is easier said than done :P).
    I think the major problem when it comes to fighting fades is the lack of plasma, as its not very often a marine affords flamethrower, and when he does, every alien target him so the fades are safe again.
    Making extractors upgradeable might actually be enough to make the fades balanced again.

The phasegates is awesome, but maybe make them not teleport if you enter them but go out so you are on the same side again (cause that often means that you just bumped it with a shoulder :P). Or maybe that holding use (no need to aim at the gate) makes them ignore you, like a sort of inversed ns1 functionality?

Apart from those issues, I must say that the new blink is sweet (I also like the bug(?) where you can bounce while teleporting xD)! So is the new evolve menu, and map. Good work UWE!
  • gotmuffgotmuff Join Date: 2009-07-27 Member: 68276Members
    Had a couple of really awesome games with some really intense stand-offs between aliens and rines. All round NS2 is now really really playable, can't really put my finger on which ones specifically you can tell lot of bugs are gone.

I have a bit of a problem with infestation - i reckon it's wayyyy too hard to clear out. I think there's also a bug that when you're at an armory and you already have a rifle, and 'purchase' a rifle from the armory menu it still removes 10 res. Otherwise an awesome patch!
  • InnotaInnota Belgium Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17118Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2011
    if you make the mac speed update and recycle the factory then create another, mac created by the new one dont have the up (they are slow)
    and now energy points are so SSSSSSSSLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW to colect, medpak become useless they cost a hand, (and so hard to drop, need sometime to select another thing unlock hud)
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851703:date=Jun 11 2011, 12:22 AM:name=The-Jehuty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The-Jehuty @ Jun 11 2011, 12:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you make the mac speed update and recycle the factory then create another, mac created by the new one dont have the up (they are slow)
    and now energy points are so SSSSSSSSLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW to colect, <b><!--coloro:#000080--><span style="color:#000080"><!--/coloro-->medpak become useless they cost a hand<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>, (and so hard to drop, need sometime to select another thing unlock hud)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea!
  • tanatos86tanatos86 Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71860Members
    Gosh I love it! UWE you are on the right track :) :)
  • chippychippy Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14307Members
    Can I just say that Build 178 is so very good - We are seeing people stay on servers for hours at a time. Lag issues are better, but the main thing is that the games are actually games.
    Teamplay is evident, and needs to be used to win - voices are used to communicate what's going on. It really is, in my opinion, the first playable build, I love it, and am so looking forward to playing future builds!
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    In the update video, when Charlie finished mentioning the improvements to blink, the fade blinked and fell to its death.

I have not played 178 yet so I cannot comment on blink. However, it seems like a poor choice of video footage to present the updates. But it also added a nice “fade to black” transition in the video and that scene was pretty funny.
  • TechpunkTechpunk Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103527Members
    still unplayable for low end pc's like mine, gettingf around 3-5 fps in fights and 10-15fps on my own. I got at least twice to three times the amount of hardware the recommended syst. req asks for, so... i hope it gets fixed soon.
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    When placing the robot factory near a wall, will cause the mac's and arc's to fall through the map when they finished building, which eventually kills the server.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1852235:date=Jun 13 2011, 12:25 AM:name=Techpunk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techpunk @ Jun 13 2011, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->still unplayable for low end pc's like mine, gettingf around 3-5 fps in fights and 10-15fps on my own. I got at least twice to three times the amount of hardware the recommended syst. req asks for, so...<b> i hope it gets fixed soon</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Better don't hold your breath waiting for it
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1851435:date=Jun 10 2011, 08:15 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jun 10 2011, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NOOOOOOOOOO

Hey developers,

Build 178 doesn't work for my computer now. I don't know why and it is annoying me... :(

I want to play this build.

My NS2 keeps on crashing when I join the Marine side and I get the same graphic bugs over and over again when I join the aliens. Nothing is working. I have tried reinstalling it and deleting the Appdata part of it. Nothing works, 1 thing though is that I have installed a new hard-drive to my computer and it is now a slave. So I uninstalled it on my primary hard-drive and reinstalled it on my slave. I am not sure if there is a problem with the hard-drives conflicting because of perhaps they have the same files or that build 178 doesn't work properly on my system...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you look in the log file in the %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2 folder do you see any errors (particularly anything video related)?
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    Really good update. Balancing seems ok and frame rate went up on my computer :p
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1850984:date=Jun 8 2011, 11:49 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 8 2011, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now, with correct video!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not for me oO - I just deleted the browsers cache - still the wrong video.
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1852279:date=Jun 13 2011, 09:01 AM:name=RUben1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RUben1 @ Jun 13 2011, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When placing the robot factory near a wall, will cause the mac's and arc's to fall through the map when they finished building, which eventually kills the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This should be fixed in the next update, arcs also like to fall through tech points too so drive them carefully!
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited June 2011
    I think the introduction of the Commander being able to drop weapons is completely useless.

I feel that UWE introduced it into the game to try and please the old NS1 players but it really hasn't done anything at all.

Commander still needs control, the ARC does help and really does make the marines stick together but the Marine Commander needs control...
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1852672:date=Jun 14 2011, 02:20 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jun 14 2011, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think like the introduction of the Commander being able to drop weapons is completely useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree. Now if the commander could use TEAM resources to buy those weapons, it might make sense. But I've yet to see a comm drop weapons, as he uses all his personal res on medpacks, MACs, and ARCs. If another player has an excess of personal res (a much more likely scenario than the comm), they can just buy a weapon and drop it on the ground for another player to pick up.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852673:date=Jun 14 2011, 04:24 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jun 14 2011, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agree. Now if the commander could use TEAM resources to buy those weapons, it might make sense. But I've yet to see a comm drop weapons, as he uses all his personal res on medpacks, MACs, and ARCs. If another player has an excess of personal res (a much more likely scenario than the comm), they can just buy a weapon and drop it on the ground for another player to pick up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Has anyone ever actually advocated keeping ARCs tied to Pres? I can see the argument for tying MACs (sort of), but I thought the ARC cost was a glitch that was going to get patched out.

I'd also like weapon purchasing to tied to Team Resources, personally.

Edit: found the answer in the next patch's notes
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also note, all damage-dealing capabilities must cost personal res, not team res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess I can see the philosophy behind this, but it still seems awkward for teams with Pres imbalances.
  • JaynerdJaynerd Join Date: 2008-06-26 Member: 64504Members
    This build plays so well I feel like a kid in a candy store.

As far as tech balance goes why not have tool tips in the personal res usage HUD? Many RTS have little tips that suggest the strengths of a unit or upgrade. There are lots of great bits of helpful advice with regards to teamwork but when you need to adapt and grab a shotgun or go fade, my first 10 times I just suicided. Ok, shotgun is pretty simple. But you still need to know what it can do. Of course it takes practice, but the tips could hint at the limits. Is a brand new player going to grab a shotgun as soon as it is researched? How long is the maximum blink time? I think this kind of information could help long term balance. Would someone who has never played NS1 know to protect the IPs? Yes, I think you have that covered! Do they know how many lerk spikes it takes to (get to the center of a tootsie pop? I mean) kill an un-upgraded marine?

Well it seems like a delicate subject. Some guidance is good, but solving the problems and the puzzles for the player is bad. Where lies the answer? Information is a weapon too right?
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113685&view=findpost&p=1852750" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1852750</a>
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852753:date=Jun 15 2011, 07:25 AM:name=Jaynerd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaynerd @ Jun 15 2011, 07:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This build plays so well I feel like a kid in a candy store.

As far as tech balance goes why not have tool tips in the personal res usage HUD? Many RTS have little tips that suggest the strengths of a unit or upgrade. There are lots of great bits of helpful advice with regards to teamwork but when you need to adapt and grab a shotgun or go fade, my first 10 times I just suicided. Ok, shotgun is pretty simple. But you still need to know what it can do. Of course it takes practice, but the tips could hint at the limits. Is a brand new player going to grab a shotgun as soon as it is researched? How long is the maximum blink time? I think this kind of information could help long term balance. Would someone who has never played NS1 know to protect the IPs? Yes, I think you have that covered! Do they know how many lerk spikes it takes to (get to the center of a tootsie pop? I mean) kill an un-upgraded marine?

Well it seems like a delicate subject. Some guidance is good, but solving the problems and the puzzles for the player is bad. Where lies the answer? Information is a weapon too right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndKnowingIsHalfTheBattle" target="_blank">...and knowing is half the battle.</a>