Security cameras/ other defensive/recon stuff

SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Just a few ideas for spicing up the invirontment/play-style</div>Not wanting to rip from other games but these are a few things that makes a game more interesting.

Security cameras that can be controlled and viewed from a console (control room) like fear combat.

Proximity mines or some futuristic version of the bouncing betty, again fear combat has a pretty interesting version.

Remotely viewed and operated turret guns. Not the normal marine turret but custom turrets hard mounted into the map it's self. think splinter cell (camera+turret).

A holstering option so you can holster your weapon in trade for faster running speed and a better variety of melee attacks including kicking.

Cloaking for marines, Special suite upgrade. US military is toying with this so surely it would be standard recon gear in the future. Maybe energy based timer when activated.

Aliens that die by fire need to look like they just have been charbroiled or cooked to nothing but smoldering bone.

I try not to post on this subject as they are still building the game but, I've had these ideas bottled up for a long time now so i needed to get them out there.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Remote controlled Cameras have little to no use in NS imo. While nice in SP games as you plan your assault and more tactical combat, they don't help as much in the run-and-gun secure the region play of NS. Instead of starting through a camera I'd rather be moving dudes there to shoot stuff.

Eternal Silence dinkered around with remote controlled turrets. I was never a huge fan personally. Of course, the biggest problem was that you gave up your own normal gun to become the turret... so perhaps I'm a tad biased due to bad design.

I personally don't care much about melee in NS. In some other games it can be cool, and see some stellar HL and Source mods that pull of gun+melee brilliantly, but in NS the Marines already have stuff for dedicated melee. The holstering to run faster I believe is kinda part of the whole sprinting thing. Holster weapon (or pull out knife) to run faster is gimmicky imo.

Gah Marine cloaking....

The visual effect of burned up Aliens would be pretty kewl. Check on time and effort to make new models and such.
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Security cameras? What for? A good commander has his men everywhere and therefore sees everything.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    Okay, here are my thaughts about your suggestions:

<!--quoteo(post=1832639:date=Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Security cameras that can be controlled and viewed from a console (control room) like fear combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I agree with spellman23.
    It's just not necessary. And if the commander want a peak into some alien territory he can just use the observatory.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!--quoteo(post=1832639:date=Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Proximity mines or some futuristic version of the bouncing betty, again fear combat has a pretty interesting version.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->They were in NS 1.03 ... but they were taken out. (or are back in? I stopped playing after 2.0)
    since the Fade can't shoot acid anymore to let the mines backfire.
    It would add to the equipment of the marines if they are able to buy some mines... and maybe a lerk could snipe them away and make 'em detonate as a counter attack..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <!--quoteo(post=1832639:date=Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remotely viewed and operated turret guns. Not the normal marine turret but custom turrets hard mounted into the map it's self. think splinter cell (camera+turret).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Let me answer that with a quote:
    <!--quoteo(post=1832575:date=Feb 16 2011, 02:04 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 16 2011, 02:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this is what the exosuit is for.
    Buy suit and dual miniguns, become turret.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <!--quoteo(post=1832639:date=Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A holstering option so you can holster your weapon in trade for faster running speed and a better variety of melee attacks including kicking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I can't imagine that a Spacemarine who has to face dangerous aliens holser his gun and on top of that starts kicking the crap out of 'em (....or at least tries to. I guess a skulk would bite him in the toe immediately)
    But a melee attack for every weapon would be interesting (exept for the GL... because the attachment might come loose if you whack a alien with the rifle)

<!--quoteo(post=1832639:date=Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cloaking for marines, Special suite upgrade. US military is toying with this so surely it would be standard recon gear in the future. Maybe energy based timer when activated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->In my opinion cloaking should stay a privilege for the aliens

<!--quoteo(post=1832639:date=Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens that die by fire need to look like they just have been charbroiled or cooked to nothing but smoldering bone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> That would be a nice feature as long as UWE don't overdo it with the blood or burning effects
  • DaPunisherx25DaPunisherx25 Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82582Members
    I agree with a type of mine but it can only be used by the marines to blockade the vents.