Natural Selection: Family Bonding

Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
After just spec-ing a match and not quite feeling like playing a real game, I decided to server browse randomly. I came upon an inconspicuous 2-player server I thought I'd hang out in. I soon realize both players have a ping above 600, and one notes they are playing on the same connection - a LAN perhaps, or roommates I figure. No. It turns out this was a mother and her daughter playing, of all things, Natural Selection. I come to later find out it's an entire family bonding affair with her husband often joining in too. In all my years I've seen friends, roommates, and even brothers, but this is the first I've heard of a whole family making it the nightly activity.

I asked her if she knew NS2 was on the horizon, she said yes and seemed quite excited about it. Then I asked if she was teaching her daughter (she seemed fairly new) and her age, and although I was surprised, I'm willing to over-look an ESRB rating simply to have a family call NS their bonding time. An interesting encounter to say the least; looks like UWE have themselves a new audience out there... the family audience!

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Dawwww.

--Scythe--
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    aww, thats nice :)
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    ns is the last game id expect families to use for bonding time... i know countless families who get into mmos together because of the freedom they offer but ns seems a bit too competative for families to truly enjoy thier time together...

... unless of course they are a family of n00b pwners... then all the power too them ;)
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    That's silly, NS is a really bad game unless you've got at least 4-5 players per team at MINIMUM. I guess they could start having a lot of kids or something.
  • 'roken'roken Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71506Members
    What the heck?!

I bet if they had a 4th PC the dog would also play NS :D
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Wow, that's cool to hear.

--Cory
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Iv actually run into a surprising number of mother/daughter duos in TF2 also, and it is truly adorable :P I think one of the amazing things is how the atmosphere in game changes when the other regular players realize this. Otherwise rambunctious, foul mouth, gamers become much more civilized. Its almost a little heart warming :D
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Guy with nick "teflon" is ~40 + he has a daughter 12 (nick Lisa) and son 16 (don't know his nick ) playing almost every day on ABLE server.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I remember knowing a man in a community of a now-dead-mod, was 40 years and had a family.

Guy was an ######, and couldn't spell (or didn't bother to).
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    edited May 2010
    Very cool.

As far as the potential rating the game could receive, I don't see a problem. Her mother is playing with her, that's even better! Come on, who else here played Golden Eye on their Nintendo 64 and drove that tank around running guards over? I know I can't be the only one!

And I am, for the most part, normal. :D
  • KamakazieKamakazie Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9958Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1770713:date=May 10 2010, 10:53 PM:name=Violence)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Violence @ May 10 2010, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very cool.

As far as the potential rating the game could receive, I don't see a problem. Her mother is playing with her, that's even better! Come on, who else here played Golden Eye on their Nintendo 64 and drove that tank around running guards over? I know I can't be the only one!

And I am, for the most part, normal. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha ya I remember thinking that was really funny as a kid. I made my dad rent the n64 like 4 times just for goldeneye.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1770713:date=May 11 2010, 05:53 AM:name=Violence)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Violence @ May 11 2010, 05:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very cool.

And I am, for the most part, normal. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Never had a 64, bud enjoyed wargasm. When you sit in a tank and crush infantry, you have to use the wiper...
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Most family type gamers I've seen were all during my time raiding in wow. Would be pretty cool to see it happening in a shooter though.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Seems rather unorthodox, especially for a mother and daughter (i.e., female). Great to see though.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    I thought so too; both gender and age. Ironically enough, at 9pm sharp the mother announced she was going AFK for a while to tuck the little one in goodnight... I guess even little skulks need their bed times too.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I think if the parents are sharing in the experience then the ESRB rating is no big deal. Kind of like how you can get into R-rated movies if you go with an adult.

The problem comes when young kids play adult games with no adult supervision at all... Come to think of it the problem is not the games or movies but just not having the parents take an active role in raising their kids.