alpha for everyone

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
<div class="IPBDescription">a bit of philosophy</div>What if UW decided to release the alpha to anyone who has bought the special OR the standard edition of NS2?

Those that ordered the special edition would still be getting everything they paid for.
Those that ordered the standard edition would be getting a bit extra from UW.

Some would say that by doing this, UW is being generous to those with just the standard edition.
Others would say that by doing this, UW is being disingenuous to those that paid extra for the special edition.

What do you think?

Comments

• SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    I think this is about the 3rd or 4th topic I seen on the subject.
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    Standart Edition has Access to Beta I think it`s enough...
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Imagine how many people would pass from Special to Standard ed if this were the case.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    This would be like if Apple released the iPhone for $600 and then 2 months later slashed the price to $400 for the same product...oh wait D:
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    edited April 2010
    If they decide to let standard edition buyers access to alpha, i think Special Edition buyers should get a free soundtrack CD :P
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    UWE advertised for the SE with exclusive alpha access, so this not debatable.
    Common sense, really.
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    Aww Razagal did you have to take the rational approach to this nonsense thread :P. You should have played along hehe. But I do agree with you Razagal.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    I didn't even look to see what I got when I bought the more costly version. But I agree, it would be unfair if someone bought it just for that reason and then was cheated out of that little bonus.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    im pretty sure Special edition preorders will get exlusive access to alpha but in time it will eventually open to everyone... the more the merrier, right?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767871:date=Apr 19 2010, 07:47 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Apr 19 2010, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767871"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't even look to see what I got when I bought the more costly version. But I agree, it would be unfair if someone bought it just for that reason and then was cheated out of that little bonus.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah. I don't really care whether the normal preorder gets access, but keeping the promises seems like a good policy in general. They promised the alpha access to special orders, so I guess it's good to stick to that.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    No !!! i don't want them to get Alpha i paid extra money to be special !!
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767883:date=Apr 19 2010, 05:04 PM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Apr 19 2010, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No !!! i don't want them to get Alpha i paid extra money to be special !!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is pretty much the same argument for a liberal arts education ;)
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767851:date=Apr 19 2010, 08:24 PM:name=minibanana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minibanana @ Apr 19 2010, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they decide to let standard edition buyers access to alpha, i think Special Edition buyers should get a free soundtrack CD :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

who cares about a free soundtrack CD?
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    I think the official line of thought is to release earlier crappier versions to the more dedicated public, the one that's more reluctant to cancelling their pre-orders based on incomplete product. Same reason Engine test is exclusive to pre-orderers, as it is.
  • n00b3hn00b3h Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14205Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1767851:date=Apr 19 2010, 07:24 PM:name=minibanana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minibanana @ Apr 19 2010, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they decide to let standard edition buyers access to alpha, i think Special Edition buyers should get a free soundtrack CD :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now that would be awesome.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1767896:date=Apr 19 2010, 05:34 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Apr 19 2010, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the official line of thought is to release earlier crappier versions to the more dedicated public, the one that's more reluctant to cancelling their pre-orders based on incomplete product. Same reason Engine test is exclusive to pre-orderers, as it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, and aside from the obvious incentive for helping out the development team to be able to make the game great through the extra contribution of 20 dollars.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    I just switched to the special edition for the alpha. I really don't care about black marine armor as I play aliens almost all the time. I'd instantly get a refund if they did this.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1767900:date=Apr 19 2010, 06:57 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Apr 19 2010, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just switched to the special edition for the alpha. I really don't care about black marine armor as I play aliens almost all the time. I'd instantly get a refund if they did this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What if they set some refund rules like you can only get a refund up until the day before the Alpha is released (because it's not really fair if you get to play the Alpha, decide it sucks, and fall back to a Standard order like a week before the beta :P).

Then the day of the Alpha release, it's not really advertised that Standard orderers can play... but their keys work just the same! :P

Personally i think we've waited long enough and i to don't care for black marine armor :P

Hmmm one problem with this is they may hope to get more money from the standard orderers in hopes that they upgrade... i.e an exceptionally long Alpha period can be expected. Long enough to make you go insane. Of course.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    I would be pissed if they did this, pay the extra 20 dollars like the rest of us if you want first alpha access.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767902:date=Apr 20 2010, 12:15 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Apr 20 2010, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if they set some refund rules like you can only get a refund up until the day before the Alpha is released (because it's not really fair if you get to play the Alpha, decide it sucks, and fall back to a Standard order like a week before the beta :P).

Then the day of the Alpha release, it's not really advertised that Standard orderers can play... but their keys work just the same! :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is genius enough to gain major facepalm recognition. Hopefully I don't need to explain what's wrong with your suggestion.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767924:date=Apr 19 2010, 08:59 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Apr 19 2010, 08:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is genius enough to gain major facepalm recognition. Hopefully I don't need to explain what's wrong with your suggestion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fun fact related to this. Remember when they had that "Special Order" only offer that you get a key to that game with the anthropomorphic wolves and rabbits with your special key? Ya my standard order key was accepted! I don't actually play that game but it was accepted!! xD
    You're comparing a gesture to every pre-orderer, with a move that prevents the customer from getting a refund while simultaneously giving away part of the purchased advantages for which they have paid.

I have nothing against the fact that the alpha be released to everyone. It's just that preventing a refund before even someone got to use what he paid extra for is commercial suicide.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    There isn't going to be limits or guidelines to your refund. UWE will always honor all refunds on pre-orders up until release. If people want to "cheat" a system or whatever, that is their prerogative. Since this is such a small number of people, it's not worth the time or tracking. Time better spent building a game we all can enjoy playing.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    I think they should keep the system as is.

As it stands a lot of the pre orders where for the alpha, to change the system now would be deceptive to those customers who paid extra for the alpha access.

Right now as it stands, anyone who PO the standard edition can still upgrade for another $20 if they so choose. If alpha access is given to everyone, UWE is going to have a lot of upset special edition pre-order issues.

Leaving it as is is the best course of action.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I dont care who gets what , I paid because I had fun in NS 1 and looking forward to NS 2... I didnt get the Special Edition just so I can be special, and I certainly wont jump up and down if the normal edition players get to join Alpha or whatever.

Both groups supported Unknown Worlds in getting NS 2 done.

PS - dont , for the love of all thats holy, DONT add paid for DLC... thats the path to the darkside, and may Bobby Kotick buy your studio if you stray down that path.
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Firewater is definitely hitting the nail on the head here.

As customers of UWE, we can accept changes that are necessary or in some way beneficial to us, but arbitrary changes to the system, or those that seem only to be appeasement, would at best be confusing and at worst be frustrating.

The pre-purchase system is what it is, and at this point it works. If its not broken, don't fix it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767983:date=Apr 20 2010, 07:32 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Apr 20 2010, 07:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PS - dont , for the love of all thats holy, DONT add paid for DLC... thats the path to the darkside, and may Bobby Kotick buy your studio if you stray down that path.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree with this statement in it's entirely for a game like NS2. It's entirely possible to add an expansion pack to NS2 using DLC. And improving upon NS2 that way would be a great way to continue to fund UWE, and still give us all content we want.

Not all DLC is bad, infact, DLC is probably one of the best things to hit gaming in a long time as long as it's not abused. Yeah, i think the MW2 map pack was abuse. But I can name a bunch of paid and non paid DLC that have been just fantastic for gaming over the last 2 years.

If UWE ever does decide to add paid dlc, which honestly, it's doubtful anyway, because it's very hard to unify paid DLC models and DLC requirements into MP games that arent regulated through a mutual system such as iwnet.

Instead it looks like we'll have cosmetic dlc? Soundtracks, etc. If UWE took the time to reskin weapons to match the black marine model and changed 2 bucks for it, they'd make great profit, and anyone who whines about how it's not worth money and it should be free, you obviously don't realize it takes time(which equates to money) to make these things.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    ...and in my opinion paid for DLC is the devils own handiwork (and I aint even religious :P).

I like to buy my game and know I can still play it as a equal to all the others moths from now, and not be disadvantaged by players with fatter pay checks than me.
    The cosmetic DLC is not as bad but its still distatefull as it basically only rewards fans who have more readlily available funds to spend, and as I am not one of the fortunate ones I need to balance my finances quiet a bit.

Foolish players see DLC as a way to add to thier games, greedy developers see DLC as a way to charge players more for the same ( MW 2 mappack 2 was rehashes, AvP 2010 maps were SP campaign segments that added MP required elements ).
    Players also fail to see how much worse things are getting... take MMO's for example, initially the monthly subscription was hated by the players at the time, but was soon taken in by the promise of continously changing games, free updates and maintenance of the software... ie you pay a sub and the devs will keep the game intresting and running.
    Now WoW has a sub, paid for expansions and a item shop... the subs seem to be only for the honour of being able to log onto the servers.

Thats why I tend to hang about the indie development scene more these days, the modern mainstream gaming scene is far to expensive even after you buy the games.
    <!--quoteo(post=1767983:date=Apr 20 2010, 08:32 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Apr 20 2010, 08:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1767983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PS - dont , for the love of all thats holy, DONT add paid for DLC... thats the path to the darkside, and may Bobby Kotick buy your studio if you stray down that path.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Imagine if the beta ended yesterday (the Alpha has been over for months in this scenario). The game is done today. Assuming the devs are still selling the "Special" edition, then what is the reason to buy it other then for black armor... doesn't this by itself represent a form of DLC... i.e. custom outfits.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited April 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768018:date=Apr 20 2010, 03:04 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Apr 20 2010, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imagine if the beta ended yesterday (the Alpha has been over for months in this scenario). The game is done today. Assuming the devs are still selling the "Special" edition, then what is the reason to buy it other then for black armor... doesn't this by itself represent a form of DLC... i.e. custom outfits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really. A extreme minority would purchase the SE for the black armor alone. Most did it for early alpha access and because they wanted to give extra money to UWE, possibly as a 'thank you' for NS1.

DLC isn't bad at all and it's a great way for developers to continue to add content to their game. The best example I can think of is what Bioware is doing with their DLC for Dragon Age. I think most of us would like every planned feature for NS2 to be in the game, or patched into the game, without added cost. A year after release if the devs decide to add more content I don't see any problem charging for it especially when you consider that NS2 sells for only $20 which is very near the cost of some game's DLC.