Starcraft II Beta is LIVE

Comments

• JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759784:date=Mar 18 2010, 08:54 AM:name=ANeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ANeM @ Mar 18 2010, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can North Americaners play with Aussies? I'd love a key :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For some stupid reason Blizzard have made it so you can't play with people in other regions/continents so no, you can't. They've even said they have no plans to do this for retail.
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759785:date=Mar 18 2010, 10:57 AM:name=Jimmeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimmeh @ Mar 18 2010, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For some stupid reason Blizzard have made it so you can't play with people in other regions/continents so no, you can't. They've even said they have no plans to do this for retail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <b>No way</b> that can be true. That you could play the retail with people only from your region? I think all the people stupid enough to do that to a game are working at Ubisoft already.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <a href="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23767157319&sid=3000" target="_blank">http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topic...19&sid=3000</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q. Will we be able to play with our friends on other continents like we could in StarCraft's Battle.net?

A. Currently we do not have plans to integrate friends between regions for launch. In the long run that's definitely something we'll be looking at.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1759795:date=Mar 18 2010, 11:01 AM:name=Retales)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Retales @ Mar 18 2010, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>No way</b> that can be true. That you could play the retail with people only from your region? I think all the people stupid enough to do that to a game are working at Ubisoft already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I thought it was stupid as well. Apparently even Blizzard can make mistakes :(
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I'm somewhat certain that I'm connecting to the NA battlenet. It seems unlikely there'd be enough beta participants in Australia to fill up a sufficient beta roster out of the 10k or so people worldwide.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Australia is in the NA region according to Blizzard, isn't it? I mean, battle.net is now used for wow and sc2, so if you play on NA wow realms then you can play SC2 against NA players.

I'm sort of guessing the reasons for the geographic segregation is due to the history of wow and that allowing cross region gaming is a future enhancment lower on the priority list than an integrated battle.net.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2010
    I've rec'd an email with <b>ONE</b> beta invite. It's time for me to return the favor, so the first person to pm me gets it. Please don't forget your email address.

<edit>
    Comprox gets the key.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    Being european, I haven't gotten an invite key. (I guess that's the reason)
    I got one this morning Abra, so they are going out to Europeans but probably in the order we were originally invited.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2010
    Note: Your key only works for your region, apparently. Just found out trying to use my extra key on an Aussie friend.

Man, that's ###### up.

Edit: Actually, no. Turns out North American keys are just broken entirely! Woo. Source: <a href="http://sc2pod.com/trackers/blue/?id=5101" target="_blank">http://sc2pod.com/trackers/blue/?id=5101</a>
    Well, hopefully this will create a lot of 2v2 pairings that cooperate better.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759828:date=Mar 18 2010, 07:08 AM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Mar 18 2010, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Note: Your key only works for your region, apparently. Just found out trying to use my extra key on an Aussie friend.

Man, that's ###### up.

Edit: Actually, no. Turns out North American keys are just broken entirely! Woo. Source: <a href="http://sc2pod.com/trackers/blue/?id=5101" target="_blank">http://sc2pod.com/trackers/blue/?id=5101</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WHew, the key I got kept saying invalid! Huge props tp zimzum for the key too! :D
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    edited March 2010
    NVM. Should work later in the day.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1759818:date=Mar 18 2010, 09:14 AM:name=zimzum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zimzum @ Mar 18 2010, 09:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've rec'd an email with <b>ONE</b> beta invite. It's time for me to return the favor, so the first person to pm me gets it. Please don't forget your email address.

<edit>
    Comprox gets the key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Damn me for staying in bed..
  • VisionVision Join Date: 2008-07-27 Member: 64707Members
    Yup, friend invite beta started! Now if I just knew someone with an invite :P
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    someone on the sc2 forums claims that a NA player can play against EUs by registering their key on eu.battle.net. the downside is that your key would be registered on eu.battle.net.
    Yeah, but when you're units get injured they get treated for free on public health insurange. Do eeeet!
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    socialized health care frightens me! i'm american dammit
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1759852:date=Mar 18 2010, 05:47 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Mar 18 2010, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->someone on the sc2 forums claims that a NA player can play against EUs by registering their key on eu.battle.net. the downside is that your key would be registered on eu.battle.net.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's right; it's not North America as in "living in North America" as much as being on us.battle.net/eu.battle.net/kr.battle.net ; etc. You can register where you like but then you're stuck on there.
    Would anyone be interested in a game of SC1?
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    It would probably just infuriate me, seeing how many comfortable (albeit mostly small) improvements SC2 has done.

I'd love some to play some funky custom UMS map for SC1 though. Various survival maps, RPG with leveling units and such and such.
    the broken friend keys should be fixed now. haven't tried yet, but the sc2 mods claim it's been fixed.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Sure I'm up for a good game of some Brood War.

I'm still waiting for a beta key. I'm so excited for this game.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1759901:date=Mar 18 2010, 01:57 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Mar 18 2010, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the broken friend keys should be fixed now. haven't tried yet, but the sc2 mods claim it's been fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mine finally worked. All your North Americans can add me: Comprox.thefirst
    edited March 2010
    <!--QuoteBegin-'Svenpa'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Svenpa')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'd love some to play some funky custom UMS map for SC1 though. Various survival maps, RPG with leveling units and such and such.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, sorry man but I really don't like UMS maps (except TMA if you want a game of that). Normal Broodwar is where it's at. To be honest, the only change I really like in SC2 from SC1 is the infinite unit selection. Everything else (MBS, better pathfinding) I'm not really a fan of. The only reason I like the infinite unit selection is because I run out of control groups late game. I'll still play the hell out of the game if I get into the beta/when the full game's released though.

<!--quoteo(post=1760005:date=Mar 19 2010, 04:55 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Mar 19 2010, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure I'm up for a good game of some Brood War.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome :) ICCup or B.net? Either way, <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/lejimmeh/" target="_blank">add me on Steam</a> so we can arrange something.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760010:date=Mar 19 2010, 06:56 AM:name=Jimmeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimmeh @ Mar 19 2010, 06:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, sorry man but I really don't like UMS maps (except TMA if you want a game of that). Normal Broodwar is where it's at. To be honest, the only change I really like in SC2 from SC1 is the infinite unit selection. Everything else (MBS, better pathfinding) I'm not really a fan of. The only reason I like the infinite unit selection is because I run out of control groups late game. I'll still play the hell out of the game if I get into the beta/when the full game's released though.

Awesome :) ICCup or B.net? Either way, <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/lejimmeh/" target="_blank">add me on Steam</a> so we can arrange something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you have hamachi?

If not, we can do bnet. Do you have AIM or MSN?
    <!--quoteo(post=1760112:date=Mar 19 2010, 06:14 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Mar 19 2010, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you have hamachi?

If not, we can do bnet. Do you have AIM or MSN?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup I have Hamachi. Not sure why you'd rather use that instead of ICCup but if it's easier for you I don't mind :) MSN address is jimmeh at gmail dot com
    In as Jimmeh.Jimmeh if anyone fancies a game. European B.net.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    I think I just lost like 10 games in succession. I can't play protoss. (first times though).
    i played protoss for a while, but i've stopped since my strategy had way too many holes in it. i would just use a warp prism and drop some dark temps in the back of their base. either i won, or it was a waste of too much time and money, depending on whether or not they had detectors. to do it right i had to tech up fast, which left me wide open early game. if i took too long then they would get detectors and the DTs would be a waste.

it's usually an easy win on newer people, but once it happens to a person, they usually never let it happen to them again.

I've since moved onto trying out terran, and i'm doing quite well so far. I've noticed that the people that play custom games are tremendously worse. half the time i can take on a team of 2 by myself. but in my copper league i don't do very well.