No to Fem-rine model [pt.2]

Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">why was it locked?</div>I ask this here since for some inexplicable reason, I am not able to send a private message until some time into the future (?).

The original topic is here:
<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107945" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=107945</a>

I believe it raised an important issue that was deprived of valuable discussion; others have expressed their interest in contributing to this matter. So if we can't discuss it here, on the forums, where else... why exactly did you lock it Comprox?

If a conclusion has been reached before, I apologize, but searching didn't reveal it. Regardless of the reason and for the sake of all forum users, we ask that you please be more mindful in your responses and take the time to explain your actions <b>as forum moderator</b>. Simply replying "Nanites? Locked" doesn't convey much other than barbed sarcasm.

I hope we can bring this topic forward for public discussion. And if not, can we at least have the PM system fixed, so we can discuss it privately?

Thank-you

Comments

• BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    This topic has been discussed before but I would forgive you for not knowing since the search function isn't what it used to be.

And the reason why it was locked would be because every discussion on it would be a sexist discussion, and everyone would be discussing breasts. It might be civil for the first 2 pages but after that, the posters would start posting very sexually offence ideas towards women or something to that extent. So it's better to let these things lie dormant.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    OP is right; female gaming models generally suck because they're not portrayed in realistic ways. The concept piece I saw for the female marine in NS2 (with the slim form fitting armor) fits into this category. There's not really too much to discuss other than how much it's going to suck because I'd bet it's not ever going to be cut.

Saying "the thread will eventually lead to some off topic / possibly offensive discussion" and locking it after no replies is a pretty weak. You could use that same logic for every thread.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Isn't form-fitting breasticalicious armor itself sexist?
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    edited November 2009
    I think people are dumb and the model is fine.
  • PathPath Join Date: 2003-06-28 Member: 17745Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738525:date=Nov 21 2009, 10:37 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 21 2009, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think people are dumb and the model is fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have we actually seen the model yet, or just the old concepts?

All I remember was the gorilla-head male marines.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    There's a quick view of the model in the lighting video-cast.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Yes, the model has been shown. I forget where, it was in some video blog involving the engine. Look in the February 2009 releases.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2009
    I locked it because your post came across as sexist from the get go. You saved it a bit, but really, it was "Females don't serve in the real army, so they don't belong in game!". No, that kind of discussion is not allowed.

Then the post will boil down to "how big should the breast plates be?" and silly arguments will be made back and forth. At the end of the day, they only have time to make one model probably meaning it must suit 'all female sizes'.

Now, on a side note: the model released eons ago for the female is old and outdated. Also, they have recently stated she will not be making the first release (more than likely). Sorry, I don't remember which post that came from :) I'll still let the thread run it's course, but I will lock it if it gets out of hand.

And finally, I know the search is brutal, sorry. I really wish I could fix that at least! Your topic was not locked because "it had been discussed before" since I know how hard it is to search. Also, for the PM issue, would you mind firing an email to community@unknownworlds.com with the exact error message and we can look into it? Thanks.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738540:date=Nov 22 2009, 05:33 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Nov 22 2009, 05:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I locked it because your post came across as sexist from the get go. You saved it a bit, but really, it was "Females don't serve in the real army, so they don't belong in game!". No, that kind of discussion is not allowed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    females arent allowed to serve in combat roles in the army because it has been proven that they have a negative effect on male soldiers, are physically weaker and require extra facilities for themselves (eg sleeping areas, toilets, showers). i dont think there is anything sexist about that and its quite realistic that opinions havent changed in the future and women still wont be allowed in combat roles.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    This topic again...?

Stop being sexist, this game is being set in the god damn future where nanites course through the veins of every soldier. Hell, it's even possible that every TSA Marine is a clone. I think by the time we figure out viable space travel over vast distances, I would like to have faith that we will somehow will find a way to discipline our servicemen to have restraint when among the opposite sex (or same sex, if you swing that way).
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some theories suggest that intergalactic spacetravel is only possible if humans become sentient machines, highly advanced cyborgs.

so the marines are just a datastream in the spacenet and the "portals" are production facilities for their bodies...
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited November 2009
    Honestly, this topic was just made to troll/argue, it is pretty obvious.

I say yes to Female Marine, for the simple fact that it adds variety to the game.

Also since as far as I know, we all are going to have the same exact face as the Male Marine Model. Soo, it would be a better idea to just add in a Female version of the Marine model, than having to make a bunch of differnt faces for the Male Marine Models. It is easier to distinct extra content with having a Female model, than having 4-6 differnt Marine Faces.

Really, when I am playing NS1, I never notice the difference of the Marine faces while playing normally and fighting the Kharaa. I would have to go out of my way to tell someone to stop and look right into my crosshair to even notice the difference.

<b>What they could do, would be to add a "Black Skinned Marine" at first, so you have two distinct Marine faces. Then add the Female white/black skinned Marines.</b>

/10endthread (Seriously... sigh.)

If one of you takes my <b>bolded statement</b> and turns it around and tries to say I'm making racist statments, then you are obviously trolling and just trying to make drama. (Just Complox it if it happens... really.)
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738540:date=Nov 21 2009, 08:03 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Nov 21 2009, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I locked it because your post came across as sexist from the get go. You saved it a bit, but really, it was "Females don't serve in the real army, so they don't belong in game!". No, that kind of discussion is not allowed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comprox, here to demonstrate that the internet can get even more retarded than you thought it was.
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    edited November 2009
    I have no objections whatsoever provided:
    <ul><li>Both genders have equivalent models and functional hitboxes.</li><li>It doesn't come across as cheap boob appeal that some other games do.</li></ul>
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2009
    Wow, let's see. First reply to my post is sexist (it's a game, yes, your thoughts on a female being weaker has 0 bearing in the digital world) and then we later resort to personal insults, score! Good job guys.

Locked.
This discussion has been closed.