Dynamic Infestation and Map Design

-Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
<div class="IPBDescription">(yet more questions on mapping tools)</div>All the original NS maps had their infestation built in, mappers would develop their maps from an undynamic viewpoint and therefore design the details of rooms appropriately. Assuming dynamic infestation is definitely going to be in the game this will quite radically change the way maps are developed. Firstly the maps will be from a complete marine centric view as this is the vanilla terrain structure. Secondly will the mapping tools allow for infestation based environment triggers, for example the growth of infestation through a corridor could trigger the opening of a vent or maybe preventing marines accessing control panels.

Finally will the mapping tool include an infest button with which to cover your beautiful newly created maps in infestation. This would allow rooms to be tweaked so that they work well whether infested or not. With the news of mapping tools coming soonish (whatever that means) I'd like to know a little more about the intended direction for map designers.

Comments

• Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Only time can tell...

They've been talking about infestation triggering off lights and stuff so I guess anything could happen with infestation on or off. I have no notions of LUA and even less how its going to work in NS2, but the way i see it is that any map could become a mini-mod, with its particular features and mini-games that will add to the dynamic wholeness of NS2.

Instant infest is a must I agree. I can only imagine how many hours mappers will spend watching and following infestation as it freely grows throughout their map...
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    I would assume that the map builder would feature a way to creating a power grid and connecting lights/doors/computers to it to make the DI work properly and in an unscripted way. Otherwise I can see this being a problem.
    I also agree with the addition of a button to preview the infestation.

Finally, I guess that you will be able to select cetain areas that will not be affected by the DI, like lava in foundry maps.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm pretty sure that areas having a trigger_hurt (hot resp. cold steam, water, whatever) or trigger_kill (said lavapit) assigned will not be 'infested'.

Would be pretty stupid if infection can take a swim in molten metal, but it's spawned creatures not.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Short answer, we don't know!

Long answer, your guess is as good as mine but I'm assuming it's a mixture.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Since their demo'ing the fact they COULD have dynamic infestation, they haven't touched on it since then.

Otherwise try keep to <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107343" target="_blank">one thread</a> saves reading multiple threads to get the answer/s needed.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I highly suspect there will be things like brushes to control areas the DI can't spread to, it would seem to be a fairly fundamental part of having a mechanic like that, as there would naturally be places the DI shouldn't spread to in any given map, and part of the job of a mapper is to add things so that the game can understand their map, from nodegraphs to event triggers to bomb sites. There's a difference between making it easy for the level designer and removing their ability to do their job. You can remove/automate the things a level designer always has to do the same way and which just take up time, like running studimdl or vvis, but there's no reason to remove their ability to fix possible issues with the game's interpretation of their map.