Thank you!

Spunky718Spunky718 Join Date: 2009-07-19 Member: 68186Members
edited July 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
I'd just like to thank unknown worlds for not releasing a lot of media (gameplay vids, screen shots, etc.)

The reason I'm thankful is because it seems like some companies release so much footage and news of the game that by the time i actually play it, it feels like i already know everything and never have any "oh cool, look at that!" moments.

Yep.

Comments

• FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Come on you already know they don't have anything to show us! :P (Maybe some nice concept art xD)

The trailer was probably made in Maya or Studio Max by the same person they hired to make the onos + skulk... and that was his little proposal to hire him :P
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Please see my post below -- JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    You're Welcome.

--Cory
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    It's all about the <!--coloro:pink--><span style="color:pink"><!--/coloro-->kimono<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Please see my post below -- JazzX<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
  • Spunky718Spunky718 Join Date: 2009-07-19 Member: 68186Members
    edited July 2009
    im going to play with a blindfold on to enhance the experience even further!
  • psykotikpsykotik Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68106Members
    edited July 2009
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    Thanks but for different reasons.

Time taken to make trailers, pretty screenshots and lots of updates is time taken away from the actual developing of a game.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
  • psykotikpsykotik Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68106Members
    edited July 2009
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    edited July 2009
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719289:date=Jul 26 2009, 01:29 AM:name=Spunky718)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spunky718 @ Jul 26 2009, 01:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd just like to thank unknown worlds for not releasing a lot of media (gameplay vids, screen shots, etc.)

The reason I'm thankful is because it seems like some companies release so much footage and news of the game that by the time i actually play it, it feels like i already know everything and never have any "oh cool, look at that!" moments.

Yep.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you know i feel exactly the same way about other games, you get bombarded with all of the cool bits that by the time you play it its all been spoiled :(

pretty much the same with movie trailers these days - you basically see the entire movie.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719448:date=Jul 26 2009, 05:20 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jul 26 2009, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you know i feel exactly the same way about other games, you get bombarded with all of the cool bits that by the time you play it its all been spoiled :(

pretty much the same with movie trailers these days - you basically see the entire movie.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

indeed, i like how they are handling there media here..

only other game i think that been keeping up with there media is Killzone2, but no tanks for muliplay (have played it for a long time, so i dont know there added them now or not).

But i hope that next media drops is teaser of marines.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    edited July 2009
    Hello everyone. JazzX here, the NS1 Minimap coloring extraordinaire (if you don't get the self deprecating joke there, don't worry, you aren't missing much).

I have heavily edited much of this thread, and here's the explanation as to why. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you (or I) agree or appreciate it. Obviously keeping the expression of that opinion positive and constructive should be something we all strive for. However anyone that knows me would agree that sarcasm and cynicism are my main two tools of the trade when it comes to humor, so I'm not going to cast the first stone at a sarcastic remark that someone makes.

So instead here are some friendly reminders:
    1)If you disagree with what someone says and you choose to respond make sure its about what they said, and not about the poster themself.
    2)If there is a problem with a post use the &quot;Report Post&quot; button to alert the Moderators, don't try to fix the problem yourself.
    3)If someone does flame you, you do not get to flame them back. Sorry we're not big on &quot;eye for an eye&quot; vigilante justice here. Again if there is a problem with a post, report it.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I like the cut of your jib, JazzX.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    its because he paid for the high quality scissors :P
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    Back to topic:

I think a concentrated media bombardment (1-2 months) works well to gather interest from gaming sites and new people. When followed by a release shortly after they're still exicted.

The advantage with dispersed updates keep the longtime fans interested, but if they come to expect frequent updates they will sorely miss it when it's been quiet for a while. And most longtime fans would regain interest fast in a pre-release pr blitz.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The brilliant thing about movies, games almost any media is you don't have to show anything. Just get people talking about it and on release day, wham. It's a winner or not.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I'm excited to see what surprises they have for us. I'm also excited to see how all of the things they have been talking about for the past few years actually play.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719541:date=Jul 27 2009, 11:51 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 27 2009, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The brilliant thing about movies, games almost any media is you don't have to show anything. Just get people talking about it and on release day, wham. It's a winner or not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so true, i was on the forums like this here before the game was out on "brothers in arms" first game and on release it was hate this, flame that.. mostly it show that people dont look "into" the game and just go by the media dump as screens, art, movies etc.

Here at least they show and talk about the media or the other way around.. just like how they handle it so far.
  • CoolKakashiCoolKakashi Join Date: 2009-07-07 Member: 68071Members
    Thank you Unknown Worlds, for much fun with NS1, the love to NS2 and all stuff you work on! :) You are great Guys! Dont give up, we all with you^^