Concerns from a server owner - bandwidth

ZervunZervun Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9658Members
edited July 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
So I tried to search but not much has been said on this subject, and probably not much at this time. I'm more of making this post more of as a gatherer for information for the upcoming release.

About me - I've been there since the beginning of ns1, I was never a combat fan although I played a grip of it because of other servers empty. I upgraded to Vista in the early days (I'm a linux nut since redhat 2.0 so don't give me flack, personally I've liked vista alot, now running win 7 (dual boot to linux). Of course we had the HL1 Dx issues and so forth and at that time I fell off the scene.

I have preordered, and I currently run phlorph.com Tf2 server, which has ran since Tf2 beta. I like NS so much better it isn't funny, but I've been waiting for NS2.

In a nutshell my post is about bandwidth. It's well known that the source orange box engine takes massive netcode bandwidth. I have actually been able to tweak it down to under 1.4Mbps with 20/20 and about 1.6Mbps with 24/24. It's not ideal for a match game but will all the tweaking I've done works perfectly fine for a pub server. Tf2 is very much more friendly than CS:S on netcode/hits and so forth. It's more of a lax game in general as well and that helps.

My concerns are on the netcode of NS2 and #1, if the server is going to run under linux. I run a supermicro 1u CentOS 5.2, 2x quad core 12mb a pop xeon server with 8 gigs of ram that only runs my webhosting and the gaming server. I'm obviously not one of those that is looking to make a buck hosting gaming server as my bandwidth is only 1.5Mbps at 95th percentile.

I want to host NS2, and am willing to up my package bandwidth wise, but first it needs to run under linux, at LEAST as a server, and have reasonable bandwidth.

I'm curious if some of the development can make some comments on this - my #1 concern is that the server runs under linux. I think it would be a massive hit to the community if it was windows only server (which wouldn't really make sense anyway). But I'm also hopping to get comments on the bandwidth utilization. Common "lower end" co-lo hosting is 1.5Mbps 95th/percentile so I'm hoping that I can run at least a 20 person server on it.

Whatever you do - have the server run on linux as well - the client while would be nice is definately not as impacting as the server architecture. Having built datacenters and a network/security engineer ;) I can't bring myself to run a windows server as a day to day operation machine in the enterprise.

Z

Comments

• DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Existing thread talking about NS2 on linux : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=104522&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=104522&hl=</a>

Not just about the client, but server-side as well.

They will eventually have linux files but at this stage without real-world data available I don't think we'll have numbers on bandwidth use.