Questions about pre-ordering/constellation.

JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Important to know.</div>*****

If I pre-order now, will I get a boxed copy or just an activation key?

Asking this for both the Standard Edition and Special Edition.

I would hope (for myself) if I order the Special Edition I would recieve a box.

Also, will the Special Edition be available in local retail stores to pre-order for $20.00 USD? (Stores reinburst your pre-order box towards the standard box when you show the receipt. You still pay the price of the Special Edition, it is just in two steps. Bestbuy does this with their pre-orders.)

All the questions I can think of now.

Will Constellation members see any benefits? And should we sign up for constellation status before or after NS2's release?

Comments

• KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    My understanding is that initially it will be only digital distribution.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    edited May 2009
    I prefer sole digital distribution, and I too have a nice collection of pretty boxes, but honestly it will just raise the price. I wouldn't mind some sort of a token, but maybe something neat and purchasable like an NS2 kharra coin, or something swag-ish like that. I suspect they'll release a boxed version too at some point, but I doubt that pre-order version includes a box, which will help keep the costs down too meaning more profit for them and a quicker expansion pack for us! =D *whistles innocently at the suggestion*
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    I went ahead and pre-ordered the special edition already, simply as a thank you to you guys for all your tireless and very awesome work over the years.
    And because (I won't lie), a black armoured Marine just sounds <i>delicious</i>.

But I am interested to hear the answers to the same questions, and have some of my own too:

<b>1. Is the digitally downloaded version able to be re-downloaded x years down the track, or alternatively, can it be tied to a steam account?</b>
    I love digital distribution, but I want that peace of mind that if I lose the initial setup file in a freak hdd failure (it has happened too many times in the past to count), I want to know that I'll still be able to install NS on my future computers. That's pretty much my only concern with it.

<b>2. Will pre-order 'special edition' buyers have some sort of forum recognition, or will it be tied to our forum account somehow?</b>
    Pretty self-explanatory, and ties in with the Constellation question above.

That's all!

I haven't been this excited regarding an announcement in many, many years.
    And to think it's just around the corner - WOW!

Totally impressed guys.
  • TiramonTiramon Join Date: 2003-08-29 Member: 20348Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1708015:date=May 28 2009, 03:37 AM:name=Windburn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Windburn @ May 28 2009, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>1. Is the digitally downloaded version able to be re-downloaded x years down the track, or alternatively, can it be tied to a steam account?</b>
    I love digital distribution, but I want that peace of mind that if I lose the initial setup file in a freak hdd failure (it has happened too many times in the past to count), I want to know that I'll still be able to install NS on my future computers. That's pretty much my only concern with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Another question i got at this point
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We will initially release NS2 on Windows (through our web-site and through Steam). After that we plan to bring it to the Mac and the Xbox 360. Maybe even Linux.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

does this mean i pre order the windows version now
    and if you guys finish the mac version later i can also download it and don't have to buy another version?
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Tiramon considering it is a port of a game onto a different platform, probably no, you will need to buy the mac version.
  • TiramonTiramon Join Date: 2003-08-29 Member: 20348Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1708065:date=May 28 2009, 06:09 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ May 28 2009, 06:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tiramon considering it is a port of a game onto a different platform, probably no, you will need to buy the mac version.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    surely it would be a port i don't know much non-java non-flash games that run on mac and win without being ported

But for example
    Blizzards games all got a mac version and it is unimportend what version i bought, with the new battle.net i can download the win and/or the mac version if i like without buying a new game

and to be honest i don't see the point why i should buy the same game twice
  • TwiStErTwiStEr Join Date: 2008-11-10 Member: 65415Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its that way too with the game Defcon.

You can download clients for Win/Mac/Linux and can use em all with your key. I very much like this concept! It d be awesome if they set it up this way .....
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    I would say Consties should get the Special Edition for the price of the Standard Edition... but I still coughed up the $40 for Special Edition anyway to show my continued support.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    I'd be happy if we got to keep our Icon.
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1708237:date=May 28 2009, 06:17 PM:name=Prefix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prefix @ May 28 2009, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be happy if we got to keep our Icon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see why they wouldn't let us just besides taking the extra few minutes to program it in/