Sensitivity Problems

ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">help</div>My NS is retarded or something to do with my PC is:

Whenever I go marines I have a different sensitivity to aliens. Even with the same m_yaw and m_pitch and same sensitivity value, my alien sensitivity is slighty more sensitive.

Doing a 180 as marines is about 20cm which I want. Doing it on aliens however is about 16cm. I at first thought it was my deathadder (ironically stopped using it because of it) and never really checked on my mx518 but now I see it on my mx518 too.

Anyone know the cause?

Comments

• PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I always just had a different config for different classes which I would execute with F# buttons when playing the class, and I would have sensitivity built into it. If you're so exacting that the different sensitivities bothers you, you may want to consider going all the way and making a set of scripts to control it. However, the different sensitivities are a clue; you will have an advantage if you can master 2 different senses for NS and effortlessly switch between them. Of course, aliens requires higher sens. That said, you'll probably want to customize each sens individually. Also, if you have high skulk sens, you might also benefit from a toggle sens key for precision parasiting.
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    I don't have enough time to play to get used to two sensitivities. I want a solid one sensitivity so that I can be consistent. Even so it makes no sense to me why my sensitivity wud change during class change?

Also aliens doesn't require highsense at all. Sure it generally makes it easier but it's definately not a must.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    It might have somethign to do with the different FoVs used... not sure tbh.
    Anyone can help!? please?
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    edited February 2009
    Like I said, you can solve the problem by just binding a key to set your sensitivity to what you want it at as an alien, and bind a key to set it to what you want as a marine.

So, go marine, type <sensitivity x> in console until it's what you want, then type <bind f11 "sensitivity x">.
    Then go skulk, type <sensitivity y> in console until it's what you want, then type <bind f12 "sensitivity y">.

Then press f11 when you go marine, or f12 when you go skulk, etc.

And it has to do with Field of View, that is correct. But this is the only option I'm aware of to maintain sensitivity. Keep in mind that even though the "revolutions per inch" will be the same, the "screen distance" from the xhair to some target that you want to move the xhair to will represent a different proportion of revolution at different FOVs, so that it will still feel different anyway because the mousepad distance will correspond to a different amount of screen distance. Understand?

This is not so much a technical issue as it is a fundamental problem with different FOVs being rendered to a 2D projection...

I suppose you could change the FOVs to match, and there is an option for that, I think. But you get less skulk FOV that way; I wouldn't sacrifice it.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Ye, I thought it was always slightly different due to the FOV. 1/5 change sounds kinda big though.

This is shooting blind, but what commands are you using on your NS command line?
    <a href="http://ensl.zanith.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=940" target="_blank">http://ensl.zanith.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=940</a>

^ After some research.

Sorry juice I thought u were trying to give me a "fix" that someone else gave me that was false. Instead you were just saying adjust it accordingly.

However just adjusting for an alien sense won't work if you read that forum post. The sensitivity change only effects skulks and gorges. Funnily enough the FOV on a lerk is the same as marine/fade ect...