Most eclectic musical performance ever (and also the best?)

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva.Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
edited October 2007 in Off-Topic
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones performing "Hoedown"
Check this out. It's worth staying to the end.

On stage we have steel drums, tabla, drums, banjo, sax put through a harmonizer, bassoon, electric bass, and some sort of whistle that I don't recognize, the best bass player alive, and potentially the best banjo player ever, with many other virtuosos performing a bluegrass/rock arrangement of "Hoedown" by Aaron Copeland (probably the most famous American composer.)

I get giddy every time I watch this. smile-fix.gif

Edit: oboe-> bassoon.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Posts: 7,216 Advanced user
    I'm diggin' it. Nice complexity, but a happy, fun melody. The whistle really made it for me though XD
    __________Artist: asuka111 | The Flood | www.quaunaut.com
  • TestamentTestament Members Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Posts: 2,924
    Wooten isn't the greatest bass player ever, he's just a technical soloist.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE(Testament @ Oct 9 2007, 01:01 AM) »
    Wooten isn't the greatest bass player ever, he's just a technical soloist.

I said alive, but you are free to disagree tounge.gif. (And actually, if you know enough to disagree, you are probably right.)
  • TestamentTestament Members Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Posts: 2,924
    Flecktones are awesome, and I'm not a big jazz (or bass) fan, but I always found Wooten was more about technical showmanship than music when he was on his own. Turned me off.
  • OttoDestructOttoDestruct Members Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Posts: 3,226
    You've mistaken a bassoon for an oboe.
    user posted image
    Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Members Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Posts: 1,603 Advanced user
    QUOTE(OttoDestruct @ Oct 9 2007, 02:23 AM) »
    You've mistaken a bassoon for an oboe.

It's a common rookie mistake, he couldn't have been expected to recognize the glorious bassoon, after all the oboe is the much more widely recognized and "popular" musical instrument.

Not like us musical upper class.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Posts: 7,216 Advanced user
    edited October 2007
    QUOTE(NeonSpyder @ Oct 9 2007, 12:33 AM) »
    It's a common rookie mistake, he couldn't have been expected to recognize the glorious bassoon, after all the oboe is the much more widely recognized and "popular" musical instrument.
    Not like us musical upper class.

Wind Instruments are for street urchins.

__________Artist: asuka111 | The Flood | www.quaunaut.com