Adobe® Photoshop® Software

DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES...Members Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Posts: 4,507
aka PHOTOSHOPP'D
The Photoshop trademark must never be used as a common verb or as a noun. The Photoshop trademark should always be capitalized and should never be used in possessive form, or as a slang term. It should be used as an adjective to describe the product, and should never be used in abbreviated form. The following examples illustrate these rules:

Trademarks are not verbs.

CORRECT: The image was enhanced using Adobe® Photoshop® software.

INCORRECT: The image was photoshopped.

http://www.adobe.com/misc/trade.html#photoshop

wow their policy screams "WE ARE ASS HOLES" XD

Comments

• the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Members, Constellation Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Posts: 3,175
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, well I can play litterality games too:

I do not advocate piracy of Adobe® products.

(since you can't hear tone of voice from text, you can't know if I'm sarcastic or serious can you? Ha!)
    Coined the qualitative attribute entropy in reference to game maps.
    Do not eat the dark energy balls, please.
    imageimageimage
  • RoverRover blargh Members Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Posts: 1,006
    This is a shop, I can tell by the pixels and by having seen quite a few shops in my time.
    IPB Image
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Members, Constellation Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Posts: 3,175
    Did you know?

Pixels are related to pixies.
    Coined the qualitative attribute entropy in reference to game maps.
    Do not eat the dark energy balls, please.
    imageimageimage
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Members Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Posts: 6,411 Fully active user
    Cyndane wrote that, didn't she? confused-fix.gif
    modNS Forums - NS1 and NS2: We Wrote The Book On NS Moddingimage
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Members Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Posts: 4,507
    QUOTE(Rover @ Aug 19 2007, 06:20 PM) »

This is a enhanced image using Adobe® Photoshop® software, I can tell by the pixels and by having seen quite a few enhanced Adobe® Photoshop® software images in my time.

fix'd
  • A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Members Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Posts: 710
    edited August 2007
    But what if I used PSP Corel® Paint Shop Pro® or GIMP? Then the "correct" stuff isn't right at all! sad-fix.gif
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Members Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Posts: 10,075
    What babies, that's like a game company crying over abbreviations.
    QUOTE (Thansal @ Oct 14 2007, 12:14 PM) »
    I am with Them and Liku (who is fun to pwn with a baseball bat).
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Members, NS1 Playtester Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Posts: 8,596
    The Photoshop trademark must never be used as a common verb or as a noun.

What? Are they crazy? Most companies would kill for that kind of brand recognition. It's like when people say "hand me a kleenex" or "I'd like a coke" (even though they mean any soda type beverage).

This just makes absolutely no sense as to why they would want this. Maybe they think it's because it's used in a negative light?
    Russell 'DOOManiac' Weed

[email protected]

• MedHeadMedHead Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Posts: 2,729
    No, DOOM, that's not it.

Photoshop is a trademarked name. If Adobe doesn't attempt to fight for their trademark when trademark infringement occurs, they'll potentially lose protection of said trademark.

As much as a company wants to be considered first, they don't want to potentially lose their trademarks in the process.
  • ZydecoZydeco Members, NS1 Playtester Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43794Posts: 105
    If they lose their trademark Bob could make his own program called "Bob's Photoshop".

Which is why they dont want Photoshop becoming a common verb or a noun.
    Hi thar
  • XythXyth Avatar Members Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Posts: 2,625
    QUOTE(Zydeco @ Aug 19 2007, 07:47 PM) »

If they lose their trademark Bob could make his own program called "Bob's Photoshop".

Bingo.
    The first thing you must learn is to learn from your mistakes.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Members Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Posts: 4,521 Advanced user
    well people use the word 'xerox' to mean 'photocopy' more often than people say 'photocopy' - but I don't see Canon Xerox machines as a result; I still see Canon copiers. Does free advertising really mean people can steal your name?
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Posts: 4,858
    Does free advertising really mean people can steal your name?

Realistically no, technically yes.
  • arcticaarctica Shindiggery innit Members Join Date: 2005-02-18 Member: 41646Posts: 538
    edited August 2007
    Bob doesn't want to stop at a road.

wink-fix.gif

(I hope someone gets that reference, lest I come off as a bigger dork)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE(Zydeco @ Aug 19 2007, 07:47 PM) »

This is exactly correct. For that same reason Google has been publicly against people using "google" as a verb. No one is dumb enough to think that it's anything but free publicity. The problem is that if you don't take action to defend your trademark then it can be challenged in the courts and you might lose it.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Members Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Posts: 10,075
    QUOTE(Zydeco @ Aug 19 2007, 05:47 PM) »

How exactly does someone lose their trademark?
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Members Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Posts: 3,614
    QUOTE(Liku @ Aug 19 2007, 08:41 PM) »

How exactly does someone lose their trademark?

When the name becomes the commonly used word for a product. Like, a piece of kleenex, or making a xerox.
    IPB Image
    QUOTE(Gwahir)
    Mantrid, you truly scare me sometimes.

0x09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0
    But the company doesn't lose the trademark right? This is what I'm not getting.
  • BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Posts: 3,196
    INCORRECT:
    Adobe has sand in their nether regions.

CORRECT:
    You need to tell your Lawyers® to Relax©.

Being promoted to a part of speech is like the holy grail of the Internet. I use Paint Shop Pro to digitally photo-manipulate things and people still call them "photoshops"
    ( ゚ ヮ゚) I like mittens!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE(Liku @ Aug 20 2007, 01:52 AM) »

But the company doesn't lose the trademark right? This is what I'm not getting.

According to the law, if the word becomes the common usage and the company doesn't attempt to protect it's trademark, then a court can rule that they no longer have the exclusive right to use the trademark.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Posts: 3,567 Advanced user
    How many people actually use the term "photoshopped" any more? Doesn't everyone just use "Shop'd"?

Which they can't complain about.
    QUOTE(T h e m @ Apr 10 2005, 06:19 AM)
    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, elbow to the face.

"It had a very sinister appearance. It had a battery behind it, and wires."

QUOTE(Monkfish @ Jun 30 2008, 03:25)
    I just got banned from a "Christian teamwork server" in BF2142 for knifing one of the server clan snipers and proclaiming "you just got darwin'd"
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Members Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Posts: 10,499
    QUOTE(Black_Mage @ Aug 19 2007, 11:09 PM) »

INCORRECT:
    Adobe has sand in their nether regions.

CORRECT:
    You need to tell your Lawyers® to Relax©.
    Being promoted to a part of speech is like the holy grail of the Internet. I use Paint Shop Pro to digitally photo-manipulate things and people still call them "photoshops"

Does what everyone else has said mean nothing to you? Or are you just hoping to make your own Photoshop knockoff with the PS name attached?
    QUOTE (MOOtant @ Sep 21 2012, 11:06 AM) »
    What is wrong with being a racist?

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Posts: 10,571 Advanced user
    QUOTE(moultano @ Aug 20 2007, 02:12 AM) »

According to the law, if the word becomes the common usage and the company doesn't attempt to protect it's trademark, then a court can rule that they no longer have the exclusive right to use the trademark.

That is correct.

as people keep bringing up the Xerox/Kleenex thing I will comment.

Both of those companies have had brushes with losing their trademarks, and now respond very forcibly when they can.

Yes, having your brand name associated with with the type of product you sell is awesome for companies, HOWEVER if they do not show that they are actively protecting. They don't have to sue a magazine that mentions xeroxing a document, however they WILL send them an official letter letting them know something along the lines of "Xerox is a trademarked name. If you continue to incorrectly use our Trademark we will sue your punk asses.".
    <Eternaly_Lost> Me and lolfighter are lovers
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Members Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Posts: 2,166
    INCORRECT:
    Photoshopping is something people do.

CORRECT:
    Paul, I slept with your wife, Lois - I am SO sorry. See you at work.
    Denmark
    QUOTE (Sky)
    Abra wins the thread.

QUOTE (Cold nite)
    You win at the Internet.
  • BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Posts: 3,196
    QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Aug 20 2007, 10:14 AM) »

Does what everyone else has said mean nothing to you? Or are you just hoping to make your own Photoshop knockoff with the PS name attached?

quiet, you're ruining my plans for world domination
    ( ゚ ヮ゚) I like mittens!
    QUOTE(moultano @ Aug 20 2007, 12:12 AM) »

How can they protect it anyway, tell me it's stop?

That's a bullsh*t law.
    QUOTE(Liku @ Aug 22 2007, 03:32 AM) »

That's a bullsh*t law.

They protect it by simply doing what adobe did. Have it documented somewhere that they took steps to protect their trademark. They don't have to sue people who are using it in everyday speech, but they need proof that they did attempt to protect it.

Adobe doesn't ACTUALLY want you to stop using it, but they need evidence that proves they attempted to protect it. So if some time down the road they try and sue bob because he named his program photoshop.
    so they want everyone to use it, but they have to be able to prove that they didn't want everyone to use it just in case someone uses it in a way they didn't expect.
    ( ゚ ヮ゚) I like mittens!
    QUOTE(Black_Mage @ Aug 22 2007, 01:08 PM) »

so they want everyone to use it, but they have to be able to prove that they didn't want everyone to use it just in case someone uses it in a way they didn't expect.

Exactly.

Though Im pretty sure they know which kinds of uses they would sue over.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Members Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Posts: 3,104 Advanced user
    QUOTE(Liku @ Aug 21 2007, 08:32 PM) »

That's a bullsh*t law.

They can't, however your license to use photoshop can be suspended over it..
    I saw a radscorpion the other day.