VIVE Challenges - 24 of Gameplay Delete, Start Over.... Repeat Sequence

WonkaVisionWonkaVision Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226464Members
HTC VIVE - Somewhere around the 20-25 hour mark, the stuttering becomes overwhelming. I've figured out how to let the game catch up in between complete freezes, but it's only good for limited gameplay. If I try to use any form of transportation, the game fails before I reach the surface. I built the PC specifically for VR play. 32/Mem. 1080/GC. Nothing unnecessary running in background, various combinations in graphic settings... the usual attempts to correct.

Part of the frustration, is that the game freeze, stutter & lockup is predictable. Moving in the Vines, descending too rapidly, moving from outside habitat to inside .... its always the same.
Because this awesome game is in development, its easy to live with the fact that half my cyclops is transparent on the inside, or that my habitat has flying fish inside, or any of the other oddities that come with it... but, it sure would be nice to know if its being addressed, or conversely not on the radar because the VIVE market is too small to warrant the investment.

Comments

• TwootsTwoots Sweden Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226436Members
    Are you sure it's a vr specific problem? Did you try to clear the cache and stuff?
  • iknowaghostloliknowaghostlol lakewood, CO Join Date: 2017-01-07 Member: 226273Members
    clear cache data and unplug everything also optimize your cpu if you havent already.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Clear cache data = delete CellsCache and CompiledOctreesCache folders in the SavedGames\slot00xx folder.

Are you using GSync? If so, disable it for Subnautica (switching gsync to full-screen only will work as Subnautica uses "full-screen window" instead of true full-screen). Unity 5.4 is apparently having issues with GSync.

Are you playing Subnautica from an SSD? If not, move it to an SSD (see my sig ▼ down there).
  • WonkaVisionWonkaVision Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226464Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Clear cache data = delete CellsCache and CompiledOctreesCache folders in the SavedGames\slot00xx folder.

Are you using GSync? If so, disable it for Subnautica (switching gsync to full-screen only will work as Subnautica uses "full-screen window" instead of true full-screen). Unity 5.4 is apparently having issues with GSync.

Are you playing Subnautica from an SSD? If not, move it to an SSD (see my sig ▼ down there).

Thank you for the timely and concise feedback.
    I'll follow the procedure you've outlined and see if that corrects the issue.
    Update: I deleted the cache folders in the saved games as suggested by contributor 0x6A7232 in his post. In addition, I also deleted the Steam download cache from the steam interface. I'm thrilled to say it worked very well. There was some consequences in the game such as piles of dirt (exterior terrain) now in situ and resident in my habitat, I lost my enamel farm and a few other nuisance items, but the gameplay was really fantastic. Took my Cyclops and SeaMoth out on extensive runs with no issues at all.

Thank you all for the comments and helpful guidance.
    consequences in the game such as piles of dirt (exterior terrain) now in situ and resident in my habitat
    1. Do 'item 514' and press enter in the console (no quotes)
    2. Clear out the dirt.
    3. Put all of your stuff except the terraformer (including anything on your paperdoll UI person like rad suit, rebreather etc) in a locker
    4. Do 'clearinventory' and press enter in the console (no quotes)
    5. Put all your stuff (O2 tanks, rebreather / rad suit etc) back on
    6. Save
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited January 2017
    Just toss stuff into a locker and deconstruct the locker. That gets rid of any unwanted items in current stable. In experimental, trash cans do the same. Until the height can be select for initial module placement(in the works) just place something then more on top of it until you get to the height that works for you. Remember to check which direction that first piece points your moonpool since that is fixed for any moonpools attached to that base.

Repulsion canon can do minor teraforming as well, so can ramming the vehicle into it, crashfish explosions too and that is all I can think of. I've been building in a way that never clips with original terrain so I can clear cache with no side effects. Just remember that some things that you place/add are not saved into global-objects.bin, waterproof lockers is the only thing I can think of tho.
    Floaters can terraform if you toss them into terrain.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited January 2017
    I stay away from those evil omnipotent globs. Had the misfortune of ... "mishandling" one near my base, besides wrecking the base it also levitated my Cyclops into the ceiling where it became a permanent fixture resembling a malformed stalactite. *sigh* Thank god for freecam temporary turning off collisions, after some turning it on and off poor lil Cyclops finally "floated" out of DGRF to the surface.