New player - excellent computer has changing performance

2»

Comments

• ArikadesuArikadesu Join Date: 2016-10-05 Member: 222866Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Awwww, yiss! Look at this, guys:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/01/02/dimmdrive-steam-optimized-ram-drive-launches/

So those of us with... I'm guess 8+ GB of RAM (maybe even less, but I'd say not below 4-6GB) should be able to see a huge performance benefit from this, if the cause of the lag is HD I/O.

Imma try it out now, and see how it goes.

EDIT: Whatttt it costs money. :( Oops. I thought it was free, sorry. XP

EDIT2: I have a list of RAM Drives here, some are free, but they aren't optimized for Steam, you'd have to be very careful to create a Steam library there, move the game, play it, move it back, delete the Steam library... sounds like a pain in the neck.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk-software-benchmarked-for-fastest-read-and-write-speed/

EDIT3: Use this guide below (includes a tool) in combination with whatever RAM disk is rated best from the raymond link (EDIT: looks like SoftPerfect)

https://vikingvpn.com/blogs/off-topic/how-to-run-steam-games-on-ram-drive

And for the love of Pete back up your game every time...

EDIT4: A way to work around having to do this would be to move the files causing the I/O overhead lag into a backup directory, then copy them to the ram drive, then create a symbolic link to them using mklink (you can use mklink /d for entire directories).

However, be sure that you keep non-ramdrive versions of:
    SNAppData\SavedGames\slot####\
    gameinfo.json
    global-objects.bin
    scene-objects.bin
    screenshot.jpg (this is the thumbnail you see when loading your game, may not really be necessary, but I don't know)

Apologies to all I've confused, but hopefully someone can get some benefit from this information.

don't expect any resolution to poor framerate from a ramdrive as I've tested the game on one and there is no in-game performance benefit over an SSD. You do get better Initial loading times though.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    jpinard wrote: »
    I'm running a DELL PC
    Intel Core i5-4460 CPU@ 3.20 GHz (x4) 64-bit;
    Win-10
    16 GB RAM
    Plus a Nvidia GeForce GT-720 video card with 1024 Mb of memory.

Other than a bit of distance pop-ins, not really having any trouble playing the game.
    My base has got about 28 pieces to it, plus all three submersibles.
    B)

What settings are you using in-game? If you're using max then there is something very wrong with how this performs for some of us as my system specs are much better than yours.

Fullscreen
    Resolution: 1920x1080 (my Toshiba 55" LED TV)
    Quality: Highest
    Water Quality: High
    (not using Vsync)
    Also, don't have a SSDrive.
    B)

Question... How do I see my FPS while in game?

I'm sorry but there is no way a gt 720 is going to play this at 1080p, highest setting at anything but a slideshow.
    I'm getting 19 to 24 FPS while playing the game, but I don't notice any choppiness
    19-24fps IS choppy.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited October 2016
    I"ve got chop when entering wrecks (slideshow - not sure of FPS, I'll have to check).

<snip>

It's ~6 FPS in wrecks, and when surfacing, there's a freeze for about 10-20 seconds passing through 20m, then when unfrozen and hitting surface, a drop to 1 FPS for a second then back to the normal 17-23 FPS (which is playable, whereas 6 FPS is not).
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    I'm running a DELL PC
    Intel Core i5-4460 CPU@ 3.20 GHz (x4) 64-bit;
    Win-10
    16 GB RAM
    Plus a Nvidia GeForce GT-720 video card with 1024 Mb of memory.

Other than a bit of distance pop-ins, not really having any trouble playing the game.
    My base has got about 28 pieces to it, plus all three submersibles.
    B)

What settings are you using in-game? If you're using max then there is something very wrong with how this performs for some of us as my system specs are much better than yours.

Fullscreen
    Resolution: 1920x1080 (my Toshiba 55" LED TV)
    Quality: Highest
    Water Quality: High
    (not using Vsync)
    Also, don't have a SSDrive.
    B)

Question... How do I see my FPS while in game?

I'm sorry but there is no way a gt 720 is going to play this at 1080p, highest setting at anything but a slideshow.
    I'm getting 19 to 24 FPS while playing the game, but I don't notice any choppiness
    19-24fps IS choppy.

Well, I don't know what to tell you then...

I'm playing the game just fine, with the only odd things I notice being, the distance pop-in of the background and occasionally the larger creatures pause for a sec or two.
    I can also see the insides of my base from a long way off.
    (but I understand that has something to do with the current optimization of the game and not a specific problem of my computer).

I've been playing since I bought the game on sale from STEAM on the 30th of August 2016, and other than a few dumb newbie complaints about stuff I didn't understand at the time, I've been perfectly satisfied with my purchase.

The game has never crashed, I've had no freeze-ups and even though it seems that my FPS is low, I've not noticed it effecting my game play in any meaningful manner.
    B)

• MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY is a good example of a guy who doesn't get all bent out of shape when he can't maintain 120fps because he didn't spend 2 entire paychecks on Titan graphics cards. If he says he doesn't mind 24fps, who are you to tell him otherwise? If brief hang-ups and pauses don't wreck the experience for him, that's his business. Don't tell him he's wrong for enjoying the experience.

Good on you, mate.

I moved Subnautica from my old HDD to my SSD and got the single best improvement in play since I started playing Subnautica over a year ago. The game loads in about 45 seconds now instead of taking well over 120 seconds. All the load-lag and terrain pop-in is gone, as well. It is heavenly, and I heartily recommend you buy at least the smallest SSD you can to fit just Subnautica on if you have to.

However, there is still the issue of big bases with a lot of stuff in them causing lag. I don't think the number of base modules is as big a factor as all the stuff you put inside. I had a very small base of 3 MPRs and a moonpool, but had it filled with every furniture piece, lab equipment, collectibles, and posters, plus a planter bed and a dozen wall lockers. Lag near the base was awful. I took out all of the furniture and collectibles, and the FPS went up nicely.

My biggest gripe is the perpetual SeaMoth lag demon. I've seen others report the same issue over on the bug forum. After a day or so with a new SeaMoth, it moving causes the framerate to drop. The drop isn't immediate, it sortof piles up over time, but it gets to the point where the SeaMoth moving drops the framerate into the single digits. As soon as it stops moving, the framerate returns to normal. If I destroy that SeaMoth and build a new one, the issue goes away for a few days before returning.

It's the single biggest frustration I have with the game, and I wish the devs would at least acknowledge it, like they have with terrain deformation and HDD load lag.

Cheers,

J
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    It's the single biggest frustration I have with the game, and I wish the devs would at least acknowledge it, like they have with terrain deformation and HDD load lag.

We have in other threads - we have an idea what it might be but it will take some time to figure out.

edited October 2016
    I've got a base that stretches from above the surface to about 55 meters down.

As I said above it's about 28 Tube/Room total pieces, not counting interconnecting vertical tubes or the ladders inside them as well as six Reinforcement Panels and several Foundation Platforms.
    (to keep my Seabase Hull Integrity in the positive)

I've got two Moonpools (one for each small submersible).
    The Moonpools each have their own Vehicle Modification Station.
    I also have the Mobile Vehicle Bay deployed near the surface level of my base.

Of the 28 total sections, 12 of them are Multipurpose Rooms stacked in one column of eight (for my Alien Containment Tank filled with creatures and a Bioreactor in the bottom level) and a column of four, as my Main Living Space.

(from the top down starting at about 17 meters below the waterline...)

Level 4 - Bedroom with seven windows plus a connected Observation Dome (includes a large bed/2 chairs/window bench/storage closet and all the personal items that are collectable - stuffed animal/posters/duffel bags/etc...)

Level 3 - Office/Lab with all the current equipment that can be obtained, plus a Lab table/bench and lab trash cans as well as an Aquarium with all the slots filled with fish.

Level 2 - All-Purpose Room with the Vending Machine/Bar Table & two chairs/Wall Mounted Coffee Dispenser/a couple of benches/a Large Trash can and again seven windows.

Level 1 - Main Level which is where I have the Fabricator, Workbench and a Battery Charger plus 15 Wall Lockers spread around the room.
    This level also attaches to my two Moonpools one on each side.

Above the water line I have four foundations as a rectangular platform for 4 solar panels and two outdoor/land growing beds as well as a length of four glass sections with an Observation Dome at each end.

I also have four sea flora grow beds for Blood Oil and Creepvine seeds.

This is probably why my FPS runs on the low side, but again, it really does not effect my game play as I see no stuttering/freezing of my toon while walking/swimming, nor does there appear to be any effect on the movement of the local fauna.

B)
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    Color me super jealous that you don't notice it Dave :)
    As was mentioned up thread, my base isn't that large but I have a lot of lockers in my base. Probably 15-20. My fps originally were 60 and it was amazing. As base grew my max fps dropped to 40, and now it kind of catapults between 20-35 which is probably whey it feels so jerky to me.
    Good grief. If my FPS would stay between around 20, I'd be happy. It's probably the Seamoth, now that I think about it. But if I leave it parked outside and enter a wreck, I'm still stuck @ 6FPS.
    I just built prawn and went north with it I nto the real deep zone where the blood cysts are, and what a nightmare for frame rates. Practically unplayable.

Dave how many lockers do you have? And do you have a sea moth? And would you mind doing a test where you take the Prawn and walk straight out to that area and go real down deep? Past where you first encounter the Brain Octupus things? Something just doesn't add up where so many of us have such terrible stuttering and you're doing better with much worse system specs.

Also, what screen resolution are you playing at? The poor performance has sucked all the fun out of those areas of the game where it chunks so bad. Note, islands are fine, Aurora is kinda ok, open water is fine. But aforementioned area in paragraph 1 and around/in base.

Thanks if you decide to take the time to do this. Really appreciate it and maybe it will help unknown worlds in their optimization routines.
  • Cynical_ScrubCynical_Scrub England Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214540Members
    16 GB RAM* I dearly hope you don't have 16MB RAM :/

No SLI support, which I'm sure you've heard already.

My 770 runs this game super smooth and I have an i5 4670k, not to mention my 770 is cooked, and dying rapidly.

Try taking one 970 out temporarily.
    edited October 2016
    I just built prawn and went north with it I nto the real deep zone where the blood cysts are, and what a nightmare for frame rates. Practically unplayable.

Dave how many lockers do you have? And do you have a sea moth? And would you mind doing a test where you take the Prawn and walk straight out to that area and go real down deep? Past where you first encounter the Brain Octupus things? Something just doesn't add up where so many of us have such terrible stuttering and you're doing better with much worse system specs.

Also, what screen resolution are you playing at? The poor performance has sucked all the fun out of those areas of the game where it chunks so bad. Note, islands are fine, Aurora is kinda ok, open water is fine. But aforementioned area in paragraph 1 and around/in base.

Thanks if you decide to take the time to do this. Really appreciate it and maybe it will help unknown worlds in their optimization routines.

All my lockers are in the lowest level (Level-4) of my main living space structure.
    I have 16 wall lockers all pretty much full, and one battery charger also on a wall there.
    I also have the Modification station off to one side and a ladder in the center that leads up to Level-3.
    It is also the level at which both my Moonpools are attached. (opposite of each other)

I have all three submersibles, the seamoth and PRAWN suit each have their own Moonpool and the Cyclops is parked right outside the base when I'm not using it.

I have already taken the PRAWN suit to the North and West edges of the game, and fallen off into the abyss at both. (the north edge twice)

Other than somehow getting stuck under the ledges twice and not being able to get out, I have had no problem with the game itself while there. (though I didn't look at my FPS at that time)

I neglected to take the grappling arm with me the first time, so couldn't get back up that way.
    The second time, I had the grappler but couldn't seem to find a way out before running out of both power packs and air.
    The third time I did managed to finally find a way back up, but it was a very close call.
    (I did a SAVE each time just before dropping over the edge)

I have been in every biome possible down to 900 meters with the seamoth, and all of them except the Lava ones at this point, with the PRAWN and Cyclops.

I use my 55" Toshiba LED TV as my monitor, so I have the game set at 1920 x 1080 resolution and all the game options at the highest level they will go. I use Fullscreen and no Vsync.
    My PC is attached to my TV with a HDMI cable from my Nvidia card.
    (if that helps any)

Also, I am playing the Mainline Game (Stable) in Freedom Mode, and do not have the Experimental or Creative versions loaded onto my hard drive.
    (not sure if that makes a difference)

I listed my rig's specs up-thread, but I do have 16 GB's of RAM.
    B)
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    10 Mins just to load game...

When i'm in however i'm in. Currently on 2007-2011 Macbook, no flash core.
    Results are of my opnion 4gb ram.

1-10, good-bad

Terrain pop - 7~8, 9 on bad days ;)

FPS - 6~7, just about anywhere.

VEHICLES

PRAWN - 7~8, walking around, pretty bad.

Seamoth - 5~6, does ok

Cyclops - 6~7, does ok

In Macbooks the flash drive is much nicer on subnautica...

"Ready, Set, DONE!" - Apple site, comments on flash core...
    I wonder if it's because I'm using Steamlink? I wouldn't think that would matter, but there is an odd thing where if I choose "full screen" on the living room tv, it's less than fullscreen and when I unselect it, it is fullscreen. vSync stopped working as a proper option when Dangerous Creatures dropped. I select it, then it automatically is unselected.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY is a good example of a guy who doesn't get all bent out of shape when he can't maintain 120fps because he didn't spend 2 entire paychecks on Titan graphics cards.

Ya think you could possibly exaggerate any more? What a ridiculous thing to say. 24 fps is unplayable. It's hilarious he's so oblivious but I guess when you don't know any different.... And you dont need "2 entire paychecks on Titan graphics cards" to play a PC game smoothly. I'd say I think you know that but I'm not so sure you do. Shop smart, build your own, don't buy prebuilts. No need to be all white knight about it. He mentioned his hardware and I said no way it's capable of running this smooth. I was right. And you come back with this lol
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY is a good example of a guy who doesn't get all bent out of shape when he can't maintain 120fps because he didn't spend 2 entire paychecks on Titan graphics cards.

Ya think you could possibly exaggerate any more? What a ridiculous thing to say. 24 fps is unplayable. It's hilarious he's so oblivious but I guess when you don't know any different.... And you dont need "2 entire paychecks on Titan graphics cards" to play a PC game smoothly. I'd say I think you know that but I'm not so sure you do. Shop smart, build your own, don't buy prebuilts. No need to be all white knight about it. He mentioned his hardware and I said no way it's capable of running this smooth. I was right. And you come back with this lol

SO... tell me, when were you sitting in my living room watching me play the game?

You weren't, were you... EVER.

So don't whip grand assumptions out of your butthole.

I'm playing the game just fine even with 19-24 FPS at times..., why your rig can't do it is beyond me.

Why you are so hung up on FPS anyway seems a bit ridiculous.

The only oblivious one around here appears to be you.

Stop insulting others because you apparently can't figure out how to make the game work for yourself.

I get ~16-24 FPS on an Intel HD 530 (built into the i5 / i7 Skylakes) and I consider that playable (barely). My problem is, When my FPS dips, I'm talking 6 down to 1 FPS, which is literally unplayable. :/

//In case you were wondering, the reason for the HD 530: I bought an R9 280X OC and the previous owner (who said it only had a 'bad BIOS flash') had globbed 10x the correct amount of thermal paste on it. And, since they changed the thermal paste, warranty void (found out about the paste when I flashed correct BIOS and it didn't work so I RMA'd it). I'm only out 60 for the card and 20 for the postage to RMA it, but it still sucks. I've tried cleaning all the paste off, I've tried re-flowing the solder... nada. Card can display fine in text mode (BIOS / recovery prompts) but freezes the computer when graphics switch (happens on startup or, if in safe mode, happens when installing drivers).
    I get ~16-24 FPS on an Intel HD 530 (built into the i5 / i7 Skylakes) and I consider that playable (barely). My problem is, When my FPS dips, I'm talking 6 down to 1 FPS, which is literally unplayable. :/

//In case you were wondering, the reason for the HD 530: I bought an R9 280X OC and the previous owner (who said it only had a 'bad BIOS flash') had globbed 10x the correct amount of thermal paste on it. And, since they changed the thermal paste, warranty void (found out about the paste when I flashed correct BIOS and it didn't work so I RMA'd it). I'm only out 60 for the card and 20 for the postage to RMA it, but it still sucks. I've tried cleaning all the paste off, I've tried re-flowing the solder... nada. Card can display fine in text mode (BIOS / recovery prompts) but freezes the computer when graphics switch (happens on startup or, if in safe mode, happens when installing drivers).

See if I maintained 20 fps I could live with that. It wouldn't be fun, but it would at least be tolerable. But as you mentioned it is the dips to 6 fps that kill the game. The deep area with brain octopus things where you get blood drops was insanity with how bad it ran.
    That area (blood kelp, near floating islands) seems fine for me now. Are you still having issues?
    Hopeless, arguing with people who think 20fps is playable. Yikes.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Oh no, someone has different standards than you...
    edited November 2016

Define "Playable"...

And the only one "arguing" is you.

You make statements about other folks "playability" based on nothing but "speculation" because you apparently can't wrap your mind around the given expectations of a game still in development, and don't seem to be able to get your copy to work on your rig.

As I have said before, other than a reoccurring pausing which has increased a bit with the recent "Bones" update, and while using the seamoth, the game is quite "playable" for me.

It is an annoyance that I would prefer not to have, but it certainly doesn't destroy my enjoyment of the game in it's current state, nor does it take away from my appreciation of the large amount of work the Dev's have already put in and will continue to do so.

Your smug and judgmental attitude won't change my "playability" factor in any way.
    Actually, about the only thing it will change, is how I respond to your posts in the future.
    That area (blood kelp, near floating islands) seems fine for me now. Are you still having issues?

That wasn't the area I meant to say as that's always been fine. It's the really deep area (over 300m) where the octopus brain things are and those blood tears or blood drops (not sure the name as I'm not in game) are harvested and there are strange plants and critters down there.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

That wasn't the area I meant to say as that's always been fine. It's the really deep area (over 300m) where the octopus brain things are and those blood tears or blood drops (not sure the name as I'm not in game) are harvested and there are strange plants and critters down there.

I do believe what you are describing is the blood kelp zone. Octopus brain things sounds like crabsquids, blood tears/drops sounds like blood oil. Does the area also have long ghostly white kelp? Here's the link to the wiki page (if you use the wiki)

I do believe what you are describing is the blood kelp zone. Octopus brain things sounds like crabsquids, blood tears/drops sounds like blood oil. Does the area also have long ghostly white kelp? Here's the link to the wiki page (if you use the wiki)

Yep that's it!!!
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    The thing is, this game is not a twitch shooter, and doesn't demand quick reflexes (although sometimes it feels like it when you're dodging a predator or desperately swimming for air). As such the game stays playable down to much lower frame rates than some other types of game do. More frames are always nice, of course (up to a point), but it's not a one-number-fits-all thing.