First Subnautica XB1 patch in testing

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update. We've gotten our first MEGA patch to Subnautica through Microsoft certification! This is a week-long process, even in Game Preview. We have to apply for a certification window (takes days), send it in, then wait. It's through now, but we want to test it more.

If we're lucky, we will have overall improved the game a lot. But if we've made the performance worse, or introduced some other nasty bugs, we will hold it up again until it's ready to release.

I'm testing it now, fingers crossed...zjiixtyqicrd.jpg

Comments

• NeoSerpentNeoSerpent Australia Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217416Members
    One step closer to the update? YESSSSS.

dnc.gif
  • MuhdogMuhdog Brazil Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219181Members
    So it passed MS certification?
  • Trollolol07Trollolol07 France (Jellyshroom Biome) Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215840Members
    Muhdog wrote: »
    So it passed MS certification?
    Yes
    oh then we should receive the update soon am i right?
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Please read my post. It's not released yet and we're not sure when.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    bill_melinda_gates_event_reuters.jpg
    He's right you know!
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    That's awesome news!
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Dang, we have some major issues with all this new content. We really need to fix them before we release it. We broke something with performance and the feedback widget doesn't work - those are the showstoppers.

So we're back to fixing those things and will then submit another build to CERT.
  • Trollolol07Trollolol07 France (Jellyshroom Biome) Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215840Members
  • woopswoops Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217920Members
    edited June 2016
    Flayra wrote: »
    Dang, we have some major issues with all this new content. We really need to fix them before we release it. We broke something with performance and the feedback widget doesn't work - those are the showstoppers.

So we're back to fixing those things and will then submit another build to CERT.

Not trying to be rude/snarky/whatever, but I was under the impression you guys were testing the crap out of the patch so that you ironed out major issues like this before sending it off to cert - what happened?
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    Man what a let down. I appreciate you are concerned with quality and will wait. Any possibility of a multi platform deal anytime soon? I could barely afford a new game on one platform but am dying to play so any chance of a deal through steam for existing owners on xbox? Now structure and render a leather braided whip and insert *crack* audiofile lol... back to work please
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    woops wrote: »

Not trying to be rude/snarky/whatever, but I was under the impression you guys were testing the crap out of the patch so that you ironed out major issues like this before sending it off to cert - what happened?

to give them credit I'm sure playing the new version from an Xbox proxy server directly from development is much different that the final product going through all phases of server transmission from Xbox down to console. This is unknown worlds first venture into console gaming and I'm sure there's a few tricks to learn regarding deployment even if it looked good in house before being sent off. Thanks for the hard work
  • taffman66taffman66 uk Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217766Members
    As I've stated before, Devs new to the preview programme have steep learning curve on many levels, these teething problems are to be expected, and a bit of patience is also required when dealing with console players that don't understand/have patience to read the large disclaimer presented before you purchase the game,. In short, Devs ignore flak and get a shift on and players, have a bit of patience with these guys, work in progress after all.
  • NeoSerpentNeoSerpent Australia Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217416Members

Awwh.

mefnirV.gif
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited June 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    This image accurately represents our efforts:
    HTisMpC.jpg

You guys got this. People will be impatient but it's better that you all get it all thoroughly fixed than to cause more issues for yourself. Good luck with the bug hunting

The people that want stuff sooner and get impatient often seem to fail and realize that if they get things sooner, it frequently means more bugs. Do they want it NOW and bug-ridden, or do they want to WAIT and have a higher quality product? :)
    i am fine with waiting a little more. if the framerates are way better
  • TheSonicSpartanTheSonicSpartan usa Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218538Members
    It's back to MC for now then.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Better to have a working update than one that breaks the game.
  • Dutchman141Dutchman141 the Netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216936Members
    Oh darn, I was realy looking forward to playing again, good luck devs, I hope you nail the problems soon.
    It'll be at least another week or two then, taking cert. into consideration.
  • Dirk_PerfectDirk_Perfect Kentucky Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217411Members
    Good luck guys, I know it's got to be frustrating getting Xbox all caught up, we can be a pushy impatient lot especially because console users are used to the fire it up and be fully playable approach and some of us have been known to cry very loudly when that don't happen. I check twitter once a day and this forum once every three days to a week to see if there is new posts on bugs or talk about the game. I think there is little left to discover broken on the current xbox version that is not already known about or fixed in the upcoming version and I have done all I can on the current version so I am now waiting for the update but that's not a big deal to me, I still have games I have not even played or finished and even if I did not have any games and your alls game was solely all I had, there is things like being outdoors, hobbies, family, and friends people should really go see again in the meantime.

Hopefully players will stay relaxed, get some projects done, go socialize with the human race, do something that does not broadcast to the rest of the gaming community that the only thing they got in their life hinges on each update and how fast it gets out so that they can be entertained once again. If anyone thinks this hits too close to home and is angered by my statement, get up from your keyboard right now and instead of typing a response of where I can stick my controller, go tell someone you love, hello and then you will remember oh yeah, I guess I can wait and it's really not that important. I implore my fellow gamers to not be a spoiled Veruca Salt and start making new threads of how dissappointed, angry, or leaving the game forever tantrums in the "don't care how, I want it now!" fits that often result in new unexpected delays.
  • 1RoMo11RoMo1 USA Join Date: 2016-06-10 Member: 218356Members
    How big is this update ? I just updated Elder Scrolls Online last night. The update was 16Gb ! Now that's a MEGA patch.
    It wasn't too long ago when updates and patches were only a few Kb or maybe a meg or 2. But I can also remember floppy disc drives and the years before internet.....
  • A7blackcatA7blackcat England Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218580Members
    Good things come to those who wait but I'll admit my fingers have been drumming a lot lately in anticipation
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    let down city filled with broken hearts man ......wait how could you have fixed things added things but yet made everything you did worse? not to sound like a ass when i'm one by nature but sounds like you guys did forget we xbox users then rushed the hell out of "fixes" to what you have already sent it in and hoped while trying to cover your butts about forgetting us not cool man not cool i know you guys like your pc more but a little more pro and work on both equally thats all we asking here not 1 side being focused on and he rest of us left out of the picture plus doing that he xbox company probably would drop you guys like a moldy sandwhich after a single bit they wouldnt want to work with a group that could harm possible sales or anything guys so please more pro less memory loss to put it nicely
  • JesmasterzeroJesmasterzero UK Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217425Members
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    let down city filled with broken hearts man ......wait how could you have fixed things added things but yet made everything you did worse? not to sound like a ass when i'm one by nature but sounds like you guys did forget we xbox users then rushed the hell out of "fixes" to what you have already sent it in and hoped while trying to cover your butts about forgetting us not cool man not cool i know you guys like your pc more but a little more pro and work on both equally thats all we asking here not 1 side being focused on and he rest of us left out of the picture plus doing that he xbox company probably would drop you guys like a moldy sandwhich after a single bit they wouldnt want to work with a group that could harm possible sales or anything guys so please more pro less memory loss to put it nicely

Do you have any idea how code works? When you change even small things, it can have wide reaching consequences for existing code. Unfortunately, it's quite common not to notice those consequences until it's too late, especially for a game like Subnautica that has so many complex features.

I'm really impatient for the update too, but it's better that it's 100% ready to go before they release it rather than having a ton of issues that need fixing in yet another patch.

Not sure where you got the idea that they somehow shafted console users - sounds like they're doing their best at the moment. Don't forget it's a small team who have never worked with consoles before :)
  • danpdanp AZ Join Date: 2016-06-18 Member: 218718Members
    Yargish89 wrote: »

Do you have any idea how code works? When you change even small things, it can have wide reaching consequences for existing code. Unfortunately, it's quite common not to notice those consequences until it's too late, especially for a game like Subnautica that has so many complex features.

I'm really impatient for the update too, but it's better that it's 100% ready to go before they release it rather than having a ton of issues that need fixing in yet another patch.

Not sure where you got the idea that they somehow shafted console users - sounds like they're doing their best at the moment. Don't forget it's a small team who have never worked with consoles before :)

I am very familiar with how code works, and I have to disagree with you somewhat. My money is on the cause being drift between the parallel code bases, i.e. the split and eventual merge. Not the changes in and of themselves, which are really not inherently dangerous.

Super simplified example:
    Algorithm A is designed to work with Algorithm B and does so damn well
    CODEBASES SPLIT
    PC - Moves on to use Algorithms C and D which do the same things as A/B in different ways
    XB1 - Algorithm E has to be developed to replace Algorithm B, which does not work so well on XB1--but does essentially the same thing and works great with algorithm A

CODEBASES MERGE
    Now you have algorithm C working with algorithm E
    - They were never designed to work together
    - They APPEAR to work because they perform the same basic tasks as algorithms A and B respectively
    - However the way they utilize one another causes problems -- performance, stability, who knows?

This is a sort of problem you can realistically expect to happen. There are variations on this scenario--new features added to any particular algorithm etc, but a lot of it will still boil down to the above.

It is very different from the magical coding butterfly effect people are fond of talking about. When a developer is authoring a new change, he is likely to account for the systems that depend on whatever he is working with. Moreover, he will know exactly what characteristics of the code/execution are changing and can/will test those rigorously. This is why in the course of normal development you do not usually see issues like this unless you are dealing with amateur developers who have not yet developed "the sense". Things change when you try to merge parallel projects that have had time to drift. Nobody remembers *precisely* the characteristics of each change, what needs to be verified or tested, how it all relates, etc. Without the laser of focus of the developer at the moment of the code's creation--without the power of "the sense" in full effect--the effort to merge can become a bit... murky? Uncertain? At this point, it can be a bit like someone took two versions of the same book, tore out random pages, partially shredded them, and then asked the authors to reassemble them into a unified book worth publishing. It is not always like this, mind you, but the potential is definitely there. All I can say is... have fun, glad it isn't me, and THANK YOU for doing it!

I am probably totally wrong, but this is my two cents based on my own experience. Progressive changes are generally not a problem, at all, ever. But merging parallel codebases can be a real nightmare.
  • 1RoMo11RoMo1 USA Join Date: 2016-06-10 Member: 218356Members
    Well. on the bright side, there is NO shortage of survival/sandbox games on XBOX. We've got ARK, Subnautica (whenever it actually gets fixed) and as of last night, 7 Days to Die. All very similar games.
This discussion has been closed.