Why repair?

MetacomMetacom Tacoma, Washington Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216076Members
Once the next update is available I will probably start my 4th game. I'm seriously considering NOT repairing the escape pod or the Aurora.

The escape pod doesn't seem to provide any additional benefits once it's repaired and it soon becomes irrelevant when you start building a base. That communicator thing on the wall doesn't seem to do anything anyway.

Repairing the Aurora only stops the radiation, but once you make a radiation suit, the radiation basically disappears anyway. The only reason I can think of to go into the Aurora at all is to grab the Cyclops pressure compensator, but I believe you can build them anyway.

The only reason to build a welder is to repair the Seamoth when you need to.

Thoughts?

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    And it's the Cyclops Power Efficiency module, not the pressure compensator. You can't build them (at least, not yet).
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Also, isn't the radiation from Aurora affecting the environment? As in: killing fish in the area?
  • GoretogGoretog UK Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216082Members
    If you don't get rid of the radiation then you can't put the rebreather on in the koosh and other areas
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I'd say the Radio might be something to keep an eye on. :wink:

Won't building your own transmitter in your base give the same messages as the radio in the lifepod?
  • nekozjinekozji uk Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216121Members
    Pauolo wrote: »
    Won't building your own transmitter in your base give the same messages as the radio in the lifepod?

I sure hope so, because my life pod is several km away over the deep dark parts of the ocean...

(Dat drift, yo.)
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members
    edited April 2016
    nekozji wrote: »
    Pauolo wrote: »

I sure hope so, because my life pod is several km away over the deep dark parts of the ocean...

(Dat drift, yo.)

Well, it wouldn't make sense because the radio receives messages from 100m away, so if the lifepod is at one location, it would receive messages from that area, and if your base is in another location, it would receive messages near THAT area.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    edited April 2016
    GabrielBC wrote: »
    Well, it wouldn't make sense because the radio receives messages from 100m away, so if the lifepod is at one location, it would receive messages from that area, and if your base is in another location, it would receive messages near THAT area.

Who's tell you that radio has 100m radius of receiving? At first messages you got info about "No life signs detected at 100m" but not about radio's working radius. Aurora lay at ~1 km away from your position, but you can receive automated messages about rescue team ("...in 9999 hours"). You must to listen all messages more carrefuly... And I don't think that you can use Life pod as a radio relay station.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    GabrielBC wrote: »

Who's tell you that radio has 100m radius of receiving? At first messages you got info about "No life signs detected at 100m" but not about radio's working radius. Aurora lay at ~1 km away from your position, but you can receive automated messages about rescue team ("...in 9999 hours"). You must to listen all messages more carrefuly... And I don't think that you can use Life pod as a radio relay station.

That 9999 hours sounds more like 9...9...9...9 hours. So it is either an error with the computer broadcasting the message or it is the standard message for when they are no rescuers available. There is not a rescue coming from the origin of the radio signal in about 1 year and 2 months or 9999 hours. Either way, we are on our own and either need to get off the planet ourselves or wait for another starship to rescue us which might arrive in 10 years or longer.

You don't need the lifepod functioning, but it is a free beacon to use.
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members

Well, I remember of reading something about the radio that said short range... And if it said "No life signs detected at 100m" It is because the radio tried to kind of scan the transmissions (sorry if I spelled that wrong) within 100m (which obviously is the max) and didn't find anything...

So you can get to the conclusion that the radio's radius is 100m.

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    But radios don't scan for life forms. They just relay information via radiowaves from other transmitters.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    edited May 2016

@Avimimus Well,this is a game.Even if future space radios couldn't scan for life forms,at the start when the radio hasn't been repaired,it already states that it scanned for life signs.This means that the lifepod already has a built in scanner.

@GabrielBC Like i said,the radio is deactivated and the lifepod still scans for life signs.This means the lifepod isn't using the comms relay to find life signs but rather,a built in scanner.

Also,the radio can receive messages from wrecks and the aurora,which are located 100m away from the radio.You also get a message from a ship thats out of orbit,meaning that the radio has a way bigger range than 100ms.

• Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    That 9999 hours sounds more like 9...9...9...9 hours.

Do you think I don't know it (about "999")? I told there about transmittion as it is but not about its content.
    Again - with 'smoking' lifepod (i mean broken and releasing smoke from fire) you can't use the radio - not as radio, not as comm relay beacon (not as a crocodile bite). So for any tasks to use you must repair ALL systems in lifepod first.
    That 9999 hours sounds more like 9...9...9...9 hours.

Do you think I don't know it (about "999")? I told there about transmittion as it is but not about its content.
    Again - with 'smoking' lifepod (i mean broken and releasing smoke from fire) you can't use the radio - not as radio, not as comm relay beacon (not as a crocodile bite). So for any tasks to use you must repair ALL systems in lifepod first.

You are misunderstanding what I mean by beacon. Beacon is a craftable item that is used to mark locations on the screen. So you might forget the location of where some base is without a beacon, but you will never lose the location of your lifepod. So building a base by your lifepod means that you will always know where it is, provided that it doesn't drift away which can be solved with some pipe.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Metacom wrote: »
    Repairing the Aurora only stops the radiation, but once you make a radiation suit, the radiation basically disappears anyway.

It's not the only suit you can wear. But if you don't fix the Aurora you either can't wear the other suit, have to carry around a rad suit and change into it when travelling nearby or keep your distance. The still-suit only cuts down on your water needs but there's at least one other suit in development which gives better physical protection.

I know there are story things associated with the lifepod but those aside I don't think it _needs_ to be useful. It needs to be there beyond the beginning of the game as a backup in case you somehow lose your base(s) and cyclops and have no fabricators. Otherwise it would be game over.
    Halios wrote: »
    It's not the only suit you can wear. But if you don't fix the Aurora you either can't wear the other suit, have to carry around a rad suit and change into it when travelling nearby or keep your distance. The still-suit only cuts down on your water needs but there's at least one other suit in development which gives better physical protection.

I know there are story things associated with the lifepod but those aside I don't think it _needs_ to be useful. It needs to be there beyond the beginning of the game as a backup in case you somehow lose your base(s) and cyclops and have no fabricators. Otherwise it would be game over.

I absolutely agree with you - about rad suit and about lifepod as a fallback option.
    You are misunderstanding what I mean by beacon. Beacon is a craftable item that is used to mark locations on the screen. So you might forget the location of where some base is without a beacon, but you will never lose the location of your lifepod. So building a base by your lifepod means that you will always know where it is, provided that it doesn't drift away which can be solved with some pipe.

And you don't think that THIS use of lifepod is a little strange (as a 'just-radar-marker')? It can (and MUST!) to be a some sort of 'start-home' at bigining of all this story. It can be a 'fallback' to start from ZERO if something happen - as write Halios before?

And you don't think that THIS use of lifepod is a little strange (as a 'just-radar-marker')? It can (and MUST!) to be a some sort of 'start-home' at bigining of all this story. It can be a 'fallback' to start from ZERO if something happen - as write Halios before?

What is strange about using it as a beacon? The lifepod gives a unique signal that is easier to notice than a bunch of text. So it is an easy way to distinguish the main base from other bases if you don't mind your main base being in the Safe Shallows. At least using it as a beacon gives it more use than just as a fallback position which might not even be used. Even if hostile creatures can destroy our bases in the future, then there are plenty of safe places to build a decent fallback position like the Islands or Safe Shallows.

Unless the devs create unique symbols which allows us to distinguish each base separately, then we have to rely on the current Beacons and the Lifepod Beacon. If the devs did that, then we could set up some type of organization for our bases like having markers based on base type, depth, resources, etc.

People can use their lifepod in whatever manner they want. It can even be used as an entrance to a skybase if someone wants to use it that way since any entrance at the surface is flooded.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Metacom wrote: »
    Once the next update is available I will probably start my 4th game. I'm seriously considering NOT repairing the escape pod or the Aurora.

The escape pod doesn't seem to provide any additional benefits once it's repaired and it soon becomes irrelevant when you start building a base. That communicator thing on the wall doesn't seem to do anything anyway.

Repairing the Aurora only stops the radiation, but once you make a radiation suit, the radiation basically disappears anyway. The only reason I can think of to go into the Aurora at all is to grab the Cyclops pressure compensator, but I believe you can build them anyway.

The only reason to build a welder is to repair the Seamoth when you need to.

Thoughts?

Looks like somebody needs to do their homework, or at least play the game with open eyes >.<
  • Starovoyovm20Starovoyovm20 141 Granite Drive Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216373Members
    edited May 2016
    There should be a message where you hear another person's voice. "PLEASE!!!! SOMEBODY OUT THERE!!!! (Reaper Leviathan roars in the backgroud) NO!!! SOMEONE!!!! (static) THE RADIO'S WORKING!!!!! DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HEAR ME? (Explosion, then Extremely loud Reaper Leviathan roar in the background) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Static)".
  • Starovoyovm20Starovoyovm20 141 Granite Drive Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216373Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Also, isn't the radiation from Aurora affecting the environment? As in: killing fish in the area?

Well, maybe the radiation changed a strange long fish into what we call "Reaper Leviathan"!
  • ShiruxriuShiruxriu Seattle Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216065Members

Well, maybe the radiation changed a strange long fish into what we call "Reaper Leviathan"!

There is a theory that that could be the result of a cult, whether it's the Reaper Leviathan that mutated, or something else, that could have been genetically altered. I'd say for exploration and multiple suit uses, repairing the aurora is useful but repairing the pod is debatable, and should be left to individual perspective.

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited May 2016
    "Yes, the result of a Cult of Blue Oysters. Listen! You can hear them now, in prayer to their Gods..."

"Seasons don't fear the Reaper
    Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain
    We can be like they are..."
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Now I have that freaking song stuck in my head. Thanks...