Update 296 Released!

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Update 296 Released!

Wake up Marine! Time to get into action and learn your objectives. Trevor and many team and community members have been hard at work on our tutorial system and it’s time to release it into the wild. This new tutorial offers a better way of progression through the basics of NS2 for both marines and aliens and also helps new players understand the many complexities that the game offers. We couldn’t be more excited to see how this turns out and we’ve even hidden some fun Easter eggs throughout both tutorials, see if you can find them all :)

There is still more to come and next week we look at our continued efforts to spice things up a bit, so stay tuned ;)

UPDATE INFO

Tweaks / Improvements

• Replaced the old tutorial with two brand new tutorials.
    • One for each team
    • Each takes place at a different map
    • Designed to be interactive and less linear
    • New script/story
    • New UI
    • New animations
    • Two sets of Voiceovers (A/B test)
    • Include two new secret achievements
  • New Hive Status UI added which displays the following details:
    • Type of each Hive
    • Health point of the each Hives
    • Location of each Hive
    • Number of eggs located at each Hive
    • Displays which Hive is occupied by the commander
    • Only shows Locations that contain a TechPoint
    • Shows if Eggs and Hive are taking damage
    • Can be toggled via the HUD detail setting
  • Moved Team Resources UI screen position for Aliens to accommodate new Hive UI
  • Moved Personal Upgrades UI screen position to accommodate new Hive UI
  • Removed Biomass UI fade in/out animation. It now instantly shows and disappears
  • Steam Personas will no longer be changed by the game without player intent
  • Added contextual on-click events to new player checklist in the Main Menu
  • Normal achievements can’t be received at a listen server any longer
Fixes
  • Fixed black-screen on load issue for Windows 7 and some Linux clients could encounter when running a listen server, which was caused by incorrectly sized UDP packets.
  • Fixed net_log debugging command not being applied to Listen Servers.
  • Fixed script error that occured when killing a Command Station
Maps

Map fixes from Loki and Zavaro. Thanks guys!
  • Biodome
    • Fixed OcclusionGeometry in Atmospheric which was mistakenly added as CommanderInvisible
  • Derelict
    • Fixed stuck spot in Turbine
  • Docking
    • Fixed layers to contain appropriate geometry, assets, and lights
    • Fixed leftover geo from previous builds including extra faces and vertices
    • Fixed pathing mesh in Courtyard
  • Eclipse
    • Fixed CollisionGeometry in Generator Monitors vent to prevent people from accidentally falling through
  • Kodiak
    • Marine Start holo table is now flush with the floor
    • Fixed some holes in the Biodomes
  • Refinery
    • Fixed pathing mesh in Chasm to stop AI from getting stuck

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Title is "Undefined discussion subject." It is not Patch 296 title. I don't think this is intentional.

Also, the new tutorials are wonderful. Even if you are a veteran, you should try them out for fun just to see how good they are. I also really like the new hive status UI.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The image has "Update 292" instead of 296 :wink:
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    The image has "Update 292" instead of 296 :wink:

it's 6am... Rant is fixing now :)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    This tutorial is cool and showing a lot more compared to the older ones. You've hidden the easter eggs well however, didn't spot any yet :O
  • BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    The tutorial is clearly better than the previous one.
    Rookies will also definitively enjoy ONOS/EXO.
    Great Job!

Only one thing is missing: translations
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2016
    The tutorials are pretty good, but I get extreme rubberbanding in the alien tutorial. I tried it twice and it was around the time the drifter hatched in c12. No errors in console.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited April 2016
    Bof wrote: »
    The tutorial is clearly better than the previous one.
    Rookies will also definitively enjoy ONOS/EXO.
    Great Job!

Only one thing is missing: translations

Will be available with Build 297.

(already working on the french one)
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    - I have ammo and meds binded to mousewheel. The marine commander refuses to drop any until I rebind them. Mist works just fine though?
    - I don't know about you guys, but my accuracy drops with default crosshairs.
    - I can't drop my welder (nor eject from my exo). @Nordic I blame you.
    - Request order was in previous tutorial but left out of this one?
    - Letting rookies play exos in the tutorial will just lead to further disappointment in normal games.
    - I'd rephrase primary task to defend the CC. Your primary task is to kill all hives. You can't let the CC die, but defending it does nothing and we really shouldn't encourage turtles.
    - I think we should let them flash an onos by themselves first then drop them an onos egg to finish off the game with allies.
    - I think we should include a section about gorges building faster than drifters.
    - Maybe add a warning that HP values are adjusted lower in the tutorial?

I assume the tutorials are still WIP? They are better than the previous version but is still kind of light on content.
  • BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    edited April 2016
    I would also prefer to see the EXO / ONOS dying.
    Even if they can directly rebuy a new one, with a message that point to the fact that in real game they will need a "long" time before buying a new one.
    And thus that they should wait to be heal or go back to hive.

I noticed now that the lerk / gorge tutorial is also gone :(
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    *heads off to play tutorial*
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    Title is "Undefined discussion subject." It is not Patch 296 title. I don't think this is intentional.

Pretty accurate. I see no change to rage about.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Is Urpa gonna die? :(
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    1. Where is beige's sexy voice?
    2. I agree that it would have been a good lesson to teach the fragility of Onos/Exos. The Base Assault in the alien tutorial kind of conveys this... although I guess rookies don't look at their health like I do, and if they do, they might not understand that they're being kept alive by the tutorial there.
    3. The alien tutorial gorge tunnel is called "[My name]'s tunnel". Just mentioning it in case that's a bug.
    4. I figured out how to get Terminal Velocity Facepalm and Darwin Award (2 of the new achievements). Not sure if I should tell everyone, though :trollface:
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

There is an A/B test. Some people will get Beige, some people will get my boring British self. We're testing some assumptions based of the differences in the VOs.
  • leodleod China Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209430Members
    just played through marine and alien's new tutorial.
    Good work ! now it's a real tutorial
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Obraxis wrote: »

There is an A/B test. Some people will get Beige, some people will get my boring British self. We're testing some assumptions based of the differences in the VOs.

As long as there is a sarcastic tone, I think we're good...
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited April 2016
    The new tutorial approach is great, and I hope it's merely the start of something bigger. I agree with others who suggest that there's a lot more that could be included (and a few things which could be rephrased). That said, I don't mean to diminish anything. This is way better than what we had.

My question is: how easy would it be to open source + crowd source the scripting process here? Even if the default tutorial scheme remains more or less what it is right now, having access to an in-game database of developer approved "advanced tutorials" scripted by the community and sorted by category would be really useful for new and old players alike. There are so many layers that could be included: lifeform and weapon practice, advanced movement techniques, gamesense practice, lane blocking, etc. Bot AI would be the limiting factor for a lot of this in the short term, but I don't see why it's not possible in the long(er) term.

I'm just not sure how complicated that would be to manage. It could involve users merely writing out the event chain and dialogue for developers to implement (with the best ideas being included and the worst ones getting scrapped). That would work if the developers gave us a template to stick to. Or it could involve users doing the mod-work directly and the developers simply implementing the best work. That would work if we had a framework to stick to.

Just food for thought. I noticed that one of the Trello cards contained an idea for a fancy, in-game wiki accessible from the menu. This would be a similarly useful expansion.
    The new tutorial approach is great, and I hope it's merely the start of something bigger. I agree with others who suggest that there's a lot more that could be included (and a few things which could be rephrased). That said, I don't mean to diminish anything. This is way better than what we had.

My question is: how easy would it be to open source the scripting process here? Even if the default tutorial scheme remains more or less what it is right now, having access to an in-game database of developer approved "advanced tutorials" scripted by the community and sorted by category would be really useful for new and old players alike. There are so many layers that could be included: lifeform and weapon practice, advanced movement techniques, gamesense practice, lane blocking, etc. Bot AI would be the limiting factor for a lot of this in the short term, but I don't see why it's not possible in the long(er) term.

I'm just not sure how complicated that would be to manage. It could involve users merely writing out the event chain and dialogue for developers to implement (with the best ideas being included and the worst ones getting scrapped). That would work if the developers gave us a template to stick to. Or it could involve users doing the mod-work directly and the developers simply implementing the best work. That would work if we had a framework to stick to.

Just food for thought. I noticed that one of the Trello cards contained an idea for a fancy, in-game wiki accessible from the menu. This would be a similarly useful expansion.

I think this could be a great idea, not sure what it would take from the backend to work, but still could be great!
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited April 2016
    I think this tutorial is perfect, it tells all the important stuff without being boring and giving too detailed instructions on how to play.
    Rubberbanding seems to be caused by bots? Next maybe add a commander tutorial.
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    I like the fail moments you have implemented in the tutorial (First Marine, First Onos) Ns2 is huge and tactics change with the minute would love to see a more in depth look on which weapons/abilities you need to counter which lifeforms/structures/situation.
    For example explain that flametrowers deplete energy of aliens since allot of people still don't know this.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Dilligaf wrote: »
    I like the fail moments you have implemented in the tutorial (First Marine, First Onos) Ns2 is huge and tactics change with the minute would love to see a more in depth look on which weapons/abilities you need to counter which lifeforms/structures/situation.
    For example explain that flametrowers deplete energy of aliens since allot of people still don't know this.

Isnt this type of thing already explained by the hint videos at the first moment you buy a flamethrower ?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

You're supposed to die with the first Onos? Woops. :trollface:
    I understand it's more of a failsafe than anything.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    I like the part where the skulk has to sneak the most.
    Things like this should give new players an idea why they get wrecked as skulk so often.

Nice work.

As an addition some sort of group engagements might be missing.
    And some hints about the primary role are of each class.

Skulk: Scout, resbiter
    Gorge: Support
    Lerk: Area denie, scout, support
    Fade: Primary Marinehunter
    Onos: Tank
    Neoken wrote: »
    The new tutorials are really good. Well done. Hopefully though, there are also plans for smaller lifeform tutorials? Walljumping for skulks is so crucial, and there's no way for new players to know how to properly walljump unless someone else tells them. Same thing for moving around as fade.

I also had some rubberbanding while moving in the vent from C12 to Topo during the alien tutorial, which was odd.

Funnily enough there IS a walljump... well tutorial is too much, but let's say hint... in there. But you gotta find it first.
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    edited April 2016

Isnt this type of thing already explained by the hint videos at the first moment you buy a flamethrower ?

HAHA after 2000 hours i cant really recall something like that :')
    edited April 2016
    dePARA wrote: »

A very fragile tank though... He's more of a hit and run crowd controller and chaos generator, his looks are too deceiving for newbies in any case :tongue:
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    dePARA wrote: »

A very fragile tank though...

Compared to an skulk its very tanky.