Any other ways to improve fps?

EachBurritoEachBurrito Atlanta Join Date: 2016-02-27 Member: 213499Members
edited April 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
All settings on low or off with minimal particles on.
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: GTX 970 SSC
RAM: 16 GB
Windows 10

My fps can go from 116 all the way down to 50 fps in a couple of seconds. Just wondering if there is anyway to stop the stuttering.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    You are heavily cpu bound. The only way is to buy a fast Intel cpu.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Agreed with Nordic, but in the meantime you can try setting the NS2.exe process to 'high' priority in the task manager. I created a (.bat) batch script shortcut for NS2 to elevate the process automatically so I don't have to do it everytime. You might get a few extra fps out of this:
    steam.exe -applaunch 4920

timeout /t 10

wmic process where name="ns2.exe" CALL setpriority 128

Recommend keeping the timeout at 10s or more so the game has time to open up.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It might help you, it might not. Usually if you're not bottlenecked you won't see any increase in performance.

in console type r_sync 1
    Setting it to 1 will give you the same amount of FPS boost you would get as if you were setting it to the higher ones but with less input lag, there's litterly not difference in FPS boost when setting it higher.

WARNING YOU'LL GET INPUT LAG at the gain of some FPS, default is r_sync 0 not r_sync (which sets it to unlimited)
    side effects:increased input lag (but not that much)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Any other ways to improve fps?

Dont play on NS2large servers.
    You lose 30% of your fps and more there (depend on situation)

And cause the nature of NS2 it need a CPU wich is fast at single-threaded oprations.
    Intel CPU have nearly the doubled performance here at lower clockspeeds.
    http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/AMD/FX-8350_single.html
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    @dePARA Could you please stop the hate against "NS2Large" in every thread? You are not even sure that he is playing there.

@EachBurrito Nordic is right. Your CPU is the bottleneck and your GPU is basically bored most of the times
    @wooza
    Even you ignoring the fact that you lose fps on client side on your server cause the extra high entity ammount?
    Its just a simple fact.
    He was asking how to get more fps and didnt tell us on what servers he is playing normally.

So he would gain more fps by playing on smaller servers.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    Of course you have a bigger FPS drop when you play on my server, I never said that this is wrong.
    But you can't just assume that everyone who has FPS problems is playing on my servers.
    Maybe he is, maybe not.
    Your answer is not helping his problems at all.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    wooza wrote: »
    Of course you have a bigger FPS drop when you play on my server, I never said that this is wrong.

In that case recommending to not play on a server like this is perfectly legitimate. After all, he wants to maximize fps. Whether he plays on your server or not is irrelevant, if he wants to maximize fps, he shouldn't.
    So you say you have bigger FPS drops on your server but im not alloewd to answer the question "Any other ways to improve fps?" with the simple tip: "Dont play there"?

On top of that i gave him a link with singlethread comparisons of different CPUs.

"Your answer is not helping his problems at all. "
    Not playing on your server and/or a bettter CPU are the only things that helping here.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Someone brought it in and it wasn't @dePARA
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hey @EachBurrito did you try the command yet buddy?
  • EachBurritoEachBurrito Atlanta Join Date: 2016-02-27 Member: 213499Members
    edited April 2016
    @Archie I have tried that command a while ago and it didn't notice any difference with fps, but the input lag did increase a lot.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Agreed with Nordic, but in the meantime you can try setting the NS2.exe process to 'high' priority in the task manager. I created a (.bat) batch script shortcut for NS2 to elevate the process automatically so I don't have to do it everytime. You might get a few extra fps out of this:
    steam.exe -applaunch 4920

timeout /t 10

Recommend keeping the timeout at 10s or more so the game has time to open up.
    In case anyone wants to place the script directly on the desktop:
    start steam://rungameid/4920

timeout /t 10

@Nominous does setting ns2 in high priority help enough to make a difference? I have done this with other games and cannot see a difference in fps.
    @Archie I have tried that command a while ago and it didn't notice any difference with fps, but the input lag did increase a lot.

Then you're CPU bottlenecked, i've already tried it with pretty much the same hardware, i've oc'd my 8350 to 4.6ghz, *disabled 2 cores* and increased ram to 1600mhz from 1333, massive boost in performance.
    @Archie could you give me a link to a good overclock software. I have been trying to find one that I could use, and none have been easy to use that ive found
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Overclocking software is not good. None of it is. It is recommended you use the motherboards bios to overclock.

This probably is not your motherboard, but it is 1 of 1000 overclocking guides that can get you started. http://rog.asus.com/216552013/crosshair-motherboards/guide-overclocking-fx-8350-to-4-8ghz-on-crosshair-v-formula-z/
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shouldn't this be moved to technical support?

One addition that I would suggest, although some people seem to disagree or outright deny that this helps: Put an fps cap on. The console command is "maxfps xxx".
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited April 2016
    @Nominous does setting ns2 in high priority help enough to make a difference? I have done this with other games and cannot see a difference in fps.
    I haven't even done it yet, but I plan to for peace of mind. I doubt I'll see much difference in-game since I use G-Sync, which gets rid of stutters. I also make sure to close programs like web browsers before starting NS2. I haven't been able to find benchmarks for normal and high priority games.

Like Nordic mentioned, overclocking the CPU is really only done via the BIOS. It's not really a difficult process, but you need to follow instructions closely if you don't want to risk damaging your PC components. If you're interested in overclocking, you'll want to find a detailed guide that is specifically for your motherboard brand and CPU family. If there's any ambiguity or you have questions, you need to Google it or search knowledge-rich forums like overclock.net. The vast majority of questions related to overclocking have likely been answered already, no matter how specific they are. Don't risk changing any BIOS setting without knowing what it does or, at the very least, what the recommended setting is.

Speaking of recommended settings, you take a risk when following any guide, whether it was written by the motherboard manufacturer or a forum user. You must make an educated decision on whether the creator of the guide seems knowledgeable and credible enough in his/her recommendations. In my case, the overclock.net user who wrote the guide I followed wrote very detailed instructions, terminology, and explanations, so I took the plunge and hardly ran into problems.

This is just my advice. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your computer. :)
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    I have a amd 8350 and a geforce 680 and i get not much less than 110 fps on 24 player servers in the late game. At the start of a game it is usually around the 150 mark. I overclocked my cpu to 4.8GHZ though, Would this be an option for you?

Seems weird to be dropping all the way down to 50 though? You must be playing on shiitzers- oops, i mean woozas to get it that low???
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Actually I think you can install AMD Overdrive to automically overclock easily inside windows. It's like Intel XTU but for AMD.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    I've been using a costum process manager like Process Lasso with mixed success (Placebo?). It not only sets priority of NS2 higher, it also throttles down other unnecessary processes when playing. Also try to shift as much work to the GPU, like Physix in Nvidia settings.
    Actually I think you can install AMD Overdrive to automically overclock easily inside windows. It's like Intel XTU but for AMD.

I would never trust software overclocking. Doing it strait from the bios is the only real way for long term stability.

If you wanted, I think you would be ok to use AMD overdrive to see if overclocking gives you the needed performance boost. Test with it. Just don't stick with it. If overclocking with AMD overdrive gives you the performance you need, then uninstall AMD overdrive and overclock with the bios.
    Nordic wrote: »
    I would never trust software overclocking. Doing it strait from the bios is the only real way for long term stability.

I recently started overclocking over the asus tool and I am surprised it works as it should. I can dynamically change all settings while I had(!) two full servers. Only RAM latencies are not possible, but that makes sense.

Negative side about OC software: It doesn't save the setting when you restart or the computer freezes.

edited April 2016
    All settings on low or off with minimal particles on.
    CPU: AMD FX 8350
    GPU: GTX 970 SSC
    RAM: 16 GB
    Windows 10

My fps can go from 116 all the way down to 50 fps in a couple of seconds. Just wondering if there is anyway to stop the stuttering.
    Also check if you have physic multithreading enabled in the options.

@Nordic I agree but it can also be more confusing/risky due to having more advanced options like voltage ram timing etc.
    I guess I find it more risky to use software to overclock.
    @RevanCorana physics multithreading is on, but does anyone know what the physx acceleration does in the settings?