Anyone else feel like those who have certain radeon cards are getting shafted?

RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
I run my game on a Radeon HD 6770 1gig GPU (the 6700 series) and from what I can tell from various personal experiences and reports from others it seems as though people with certain cards that are suppose to support dx11 are getting stubbed in the foot by the game. Without the -force -d3d9 command some of us can't run the game more than a few minutes either on a saved game or a new one without the game freezing up, crashing or otherwise having a fit. I have other games in my steam library that use the same exact engine UNITY examples being, 7 days to die, The Forest, Stranded Deep. How is it I can run these games without strangeness, crashes or the games freezing up when they use the same exact engine Subnatica does?

and before anyone suggests your drivers are outdated, they aren't I've the last and latest driver update for this card. Last being that AMD isn't going to support cards anymore that are considered old so no more updates for those cards.

Last experimental update that came pretty much screwed the pooch too. I played just fine yesterday and then a update comes out that completely borks things up, new game and saved games crash after being in game for 1 minute. With and without the -force -d3d9 plain and simple the results are the same. I know I know it's experimental an all that jazz but the fact remains that even on stable the issue of the game not working for those of us with radeon cards are pretty much the odd man out. There's also the fact that the developers plan on not supporting dx9 in the future which means that sooner or later if the issue we're experiencing isn't resolved by the developers and they go ahead and remove said dx9 those of us with AMD cards pretty much are getting shafted. I certain hope the developers resolve the issue but my confidence in that is skeptical.

And before some smart arse git decides to go ahead and say update or get a new GPU I would if I could but that costs money and money for some of us is card to come by.

Comments

• BrandestocBrandestoc Scotland Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212887Members
    Most of these issues come from it being in Early Access and a lack of time for optimisation. Many people forget it is still early in development and it will be a while before performance is tackled as a priority.

im running;

i56500 3.2
    16gig DDR4
    AMD R9 280x 3gig

and even with this i still get slowdown and issues from time to time. Just give it time, but also be aware that older hardware will struggle with the game. It's unavoidable. Especially with the current lighting.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited February 2016
    funny part is though and I know it's the new water that's causing the issue for people, only the water. Other thing even though my card is a bit dated the game doesn't stutter or slow down. Sure every once and a while the FPS will drop but that is usually only because of transitioning from one area of the map to another.

I'm not worried about slowdowns and some issues, it's some of the other issues that are glaringly obvious. Since the introduction of the H20 update with their fancy new updated water there's been issue, after issue, after issue with it. Those issues appear to be linked to the water of the game and apparently the way it's coded.

The current game hang I've experienced today and I've already reported it is tied to the water, it could also be the lighting but as I said since the H20 update lots of people are forced to run the game with the -force -d3d9 command in steam properties with the game cause it's the only way they can play the game without experiencing a crash or hang.

Edit:

I could be wrong, there's always room for a person to be wrong with they think or their opinion.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're pretty sure it's due to a bug in Unity and how it works with certain shaders on some AMD cards. Unity have since fixed this in 5.3.2, and we're going to upgrade to this version of Unity as fast as we can. Upgrades can however, take time.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're pretty sure it's due to a bug in Unity and how it works with certain shaders on some AMD cards. Unity have since fixed this in 5.3.2, and we're going to upgrade to this version of Unity as fast as we can. Upgrades can however, take time.

yeah I had it feeling it was a bug with unity, someone on the steam forums in the bug section said something about it. Didn't you guys have shader issues when you were working on the build up to H20 update? I seem to recall that from a few months back while you guys were working on it that it kept giving you trouble. Thought i t was solved but it appears it came back to sink it's teeth into you guys again.
  • perdvenomperdvenom usa Join Date: 2016-02-23 Member: 213374Members
    Brandestoc wrote: »
    Most of these issues come from it being in Early Access and a lack of time for optimisation. Many people forget it is still early in development and it will be a while before performance is tackled as a priority.

im running;

i56500 3.2
    16gig DDR4
    AMD R9 280x 3gig

and even with this i still get slowdown and issues from time to time. Just give it time, but also be aware that older hardware will struggle with the game. It's unavoidable. Especially with the current lighting.

hey there can i ask what are your settings in game and on Crimson Radeon setting app? I have i5 4460, powercolor R9 280x, 8GB ram. should be enough to run at least somewhat smoothly, but still getting several artifacts, FPS jumps all over from 8-100+, image stutter and lag. Its very frequent to the point hard to play the game. any info is appreciated.