I miss for the old underwater colors (w screenshots)

kramolakramola Kyyv, Ukraine Join Date: 2015-10-20 Member: 208611Members
Hi all.
Before H2O update i liked to swim around and look. Spent hours just for this. I liked old crystal clear, warm colored underwater picture.
ib171bon46bt.jpg
9qrr1nctrnwa.jpg
15usv6rdkqao.jpg

But now colors are dull. Eye candy is destroyed. Maybe this is more realistic, but i just stop playing because of disappointment.
mfqurf74cco2.jpg
c8hwo538o2nw.jpg
00td3duew088.jpg

Effects however far better than before. I hope devs reconsider their opinion and return some of the underwater look back.
Sorry for my English.

Edit: To stop from killing people's eyes and bandwidth I've put spoiler tags over the images. -Obby

Comments

• kramolakramola Kyyv, Ukraine Join Date: 2015-10-20 Member: 208611Members
    edited February 2016
    Cold. Cold and unfriendly.
    7ccl222mjsui.jpg
    s6qin34al4ce.jpg

And what was lost:
    m67bjxcwmmwe.jpg
    1fqvyt7a1r0d.jpg
    7kw11gd4y5aq.jpg

Edit: To stop from killing people's eyes and bandwidth I've put spoiler tags over the images. -Obby
  • Monk429Monk429 Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210626Members
    IDK...stuff was too bright before that there was no real difficulty added to going deeper. I think the change adds to the experience, but to each their own.

I did see on Trello that buildable lights are on the way. So, if you build a deep sea base you could light up the dark scenery next to your observation room.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While I do see the point about 'losing' something, I would say subs with lights.. or perhaps body/goggle mods which increase light gain (aye its the future) would help in this regard,
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    Your joking right?

Don't be mean. :)

I can see his point in some ways if you enjoyed the 'glass fishbowl' look for everything without realism at depth. The shallows still look crystal clear but as you go deeper it gets more murky and that's more realistic. I don't see mine quite this gloomy so I wonder if different resolutions and different settings cause differing experiences?

Anyways - I appreciate all the great screenshots to show the comparisons and I agree that up close, things can sometimes look a little more distorted - color corrections not quite right. Still plenty of time for tweaking!

• kramolakramola Kyyv, Ukraine Join Date: 2015-10-20 Member: 208611Members
    Thanks for your opinion.
    Yes, i like 'glass fishbowl' look, and don't like murky water. Why it should be it? 99% of all water on our planet is murky, but this is an alien planet, let it have an alien interesting visionary look, let it have its own realism - why copy dirty and murky Earth? Going deeper can be darker, but no need to shift all colors to blue, removing reds and yellows.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    kramola wrote: »
    Cold. Cold and unfriendly.

just like the oceans on earth.

but really i get your problem the game suddenly feels a lot less friendly even though nothing changed.
    but just think about all the glorious luminescence beauty that awaits in the deep dark of the ocean.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Just to chime in here, I've only dabbled around 0-100m when I got the game and it was a blast to explore. But that means I've never seen the deeper areas before the H2O update.

Now in this new update, I've gone up down to 450-ish m and I found the experience quite daunting, trying to get the Moonpool parts for my under equipped Seamoth. Mostly because of the sounds from the darkness of the deep and the 225m max depth of that thing! Even though there's no real threat (smaller bitey things I can deal with), your mind starts to wander and fill in the blanks, especially since I have yet to encounter big bad unstoppable creatures and kinda fear them :D

I definitely like that atmosphere of "WTF is that" and "oh crap that fragment is way down there". However I do also understand the need for a more visible world. I'd love to see more of that in the form of bioluminescence throughout the world instead of just an increased brightness. Also the deeper you go, I do feel that it needs to be more scary and darker

Bioluminescence lighting up the world trumps brightness++ in my book.

Anyway, I'd have to look at older vids/screenshots to get an idea of what it looked like before H2O though :D
  • gallantzirocoolgallantzirocool usa Join Date: 2015-01-30 Member: 201122Members
    edited January 2016
    i don't miss the old water at all! this makes it as it should be, kinda scary at night and it feel allot bigger when you cant see everything ahead of you. The new water also makes it allot more realistic! i really love it the way it is now!
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    edited February 2016
    hi I'm back, (had trouble with signing in for about a month) any who agree with you, I thought they were going to give it more vibrance, guess we were wrong.. hehe….

NOT DOING WEEKLY POSTS!!!!

[REDACTED]
  • AquatarkusAquatarkus RI-USA Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206674Members
    kramola wrote: »
    Yes, i like 'glass fishbowl' look, and don't like murky water.... Going deeper can be darker, but no need to shift all colors to blue, removing reds and yellows.

Totally agree. The clear water was part of game's fantasy for me.
    (I used the blood kelp area when I wanted darkness fun.)

I enjoyed that there was still enough light to see around in some of the deep areas. I really enjoyed how the Grand Arch area had enough light to explore and build a hab worth hanging out in. Now its basically too dark to enjoy all the cool vegetation and awesome formations.
    I used to spend hours enjoying the clear water scenery. Even the day-to-night change was more enjoyable for me in the clear water version. I don't play half as much as I used too now. When I do, I have to use the "Day" cheat.

Oh well...
    Maybe the devs will implement a "Nov 2015" button for guys like us. ;)

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    See, I prefer the new water for like, survival games and the like.

But I'd prefer the OLD water for Creativity mode, when there's no oxygen, no health, no worries about the pressure... Where you can just explore and go "Wow! :D"

Maybe they could give an option to change the visual style?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I much prefer the newer H2O look. In real life you quickly lose red colours the deeper you get until everything looks blue. I Love how the water gets vary murky and green in the kelp forests, especially at night.
  • darioushsdarioushs Join Date: 2015-12-11 Member: 209871Members
    The new colors really disappointed me. Still love the game but It used to be more beautiful.
  • TSefTSef Estonia Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212436Members
    I love the new colors. Game is not so vibrant anymore and I feel now I'm truly underwater.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    we have to make the game we want to make for ourselves.

You certainly are free to do what you want with your own creation, but I would like to point out that this is only true if you don't care about anyone buying your game or not.

We have invested our money into what you're creating. Please consider our opinions, even if some of them aren't quite what you want.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    We knew there was a chance some people might be disappointed in the change of look, but we have to make the game we want to make for ourselves.

It's really not a deal breaker for me, and for all I know about coding there's no one switch you can throw to remove the murkiness for a certain game mode. My idea of "Freedom mode = Fishbowl Clear" was mostly a pipe dream.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    we have to make the game we want to make for ourselves.

You certainly are free to do what you want with your own creation, but I would like to point out that this is only true if you don't care about anyone buying your game or not.

We have invested our money into what you're creating. Please consider our opinions, even if some of them aren't quite what you want.

While opinions do matter, I think that they cannot be swayed by the fickle movement of public opinion. If they want to make a dark and mysterious game with dulled colors that really make you feel like you're underwater, then they should. Anyone who won't buy it because of something like that doesn't need to be a customer anyway IMO.
  • Yuni_HermitYuni_Hermit USA Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211439Members
    I like it that it gets darker the deeper I go now. Sure the glass fishbowl look was nice, but I love how creepy it gets now. Just please, please put sonar on the Exo Suit.

I love how the Inactive Lava Biome looks now. I finally went down there in the sea moth in creative mode now, where the seamoth can't normally go... and it was eerie as HECK! I could only see around me with the precious sonar, the headlights did -nothing- in water that deep, it was a fantastic, moving, slightly terrifying, and enchanting experience! It reminded me of Skies of Arcadia Legends' trip into Deep Sky.

Now the water feels like it actually HAS depth, the pressure from the water seems meaningful, and they're not just a number that happens to be on screen. I don't think it was a bad choice.

Glass fishbowl is pretty, I'm not going to lie, but... now the ocean is scary and feels bigger. c:
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    edited February 2016
    Yes. it is way darker now at depth than it used to. But I wouldn't go back to the old shading for anything. I love the new graphics. Night is super dark and awesome looking. The way the light from a seamoth is so blindingly white is amazing. Like others have said, the ocean feels more real now and it feels like you're underwater way more than before.

And, for those people that want to have bright seabases down deep, it looks like there is going to be placeable lights, I wonder if they will use seabase power? And even if they just use batteries, once the charging station is in-game, it will be possible to keep lighting running with a bit of effort. In that vein, I think having an option to turn seabase lights on when the sun sets and off when it rises would be cool.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    The Cyclops needs flood lights that you can turn on (at the cost of power) so that it can really light up the deep.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I can understand if someone wanted the old colors back. I had a similar experience when H2.0 hit experimental. Everythig looked so different and I lost my sense for orientation, which I hated. I took a break, now I like the H2.0 colors better than the old bright colors. The problem I had was that I experienced a change from a light tone to a darker tone. And being human I preferred the lighting I was accustomed to. But when the sensation of change subsided, I liked H2.0 better than the lighting before. And I still do.
    [...]but we have to make the game we want to make for ourselves.

Absolutely do that. In my experience doing things that you want to do for yourself yields far better result than doing things that the marketing departments thinks is best.
  • MerivoMerivo United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212466Members
    edited February 2016
    I had another gander at the old look vs new look, and it got me thinking. What does the Great Barrier Reef look like?

Great Barrier Reef (Australia):
    Diving-the-colorful-Great-Barrier-Reef.jpg
    Great-Barrier-Reef-Marine-Park-Australia.jpg
    welcome-to-the-great-barrier-reef-1600-miles-long-133000-square-miles-in-area-comprising-3000-individual-reefs-and-islands-and-home-to-thousands-of-species.jpg
    Shutterstock_Debra_James_WWF_Aus_349525.jpg?1423241806
    greatBarrierReef_2434464b.jpg

Then I discovered something. The barrier reef actually used to be more vibrant than it is now, but it's started dying, which scientists have put down to climate change:
    coral_bleaching_indonesia_lg2.jpg
    image-2014-12-04-16-03-01.jpg
    coral.jpg
    calendar_06_5.jpg

So while bland colours make sense for dying reefs:
    Coral_Reef3.jpg
    Biscayne-National-Park-Underwater-guided-dives-with-Tropic-Scuba-2.jpg
    corals%20and%20seagrass.png

Actually, some parts of the ocean are vibrant and colourful. Personally I think a mix of the two would do well.
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Merivo wrote: »
    I had another gander at the old look vs new look, and it got me thinking. What does the Great Barrier Reef look like?

Then I discovered something. The barrier reef actually used to be more vibrant than it is now, but it's started dying, which scientists have put down to climate change:

Actually, some parts of the ocean are vibrant and colourful. Personally I think a mix of the two would do well.

Good job humans.

I do agree that the game looks better now than before. It actually looks like swimming underwater. The light rays are fantastic.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited February 2016
    Merivo wrote: »

Great Barrier Reef (Australia):
    Diving-the-colorful-Great-Barrier-Reef.jpg
    Great-Barrier-Reef-Marine-Park-Australia.jpg
    welcome-to-the-great-barrier-reef-1600-miles-long-133000-square-miles-in-area-comprising-3000-individual-reefs-and-islands-and-home-to-thousands-of-species.jpg
    Shutterstock_Debra_James_WWF_Aus_349525.jpg?1423241806
    greatBarrierReef_2434464b.jpg

coral_bleaching_indonesia_lg2.jpg
    image-2014-12-04-16-03-01.jpg
    coral.jpg
    calendar_06_5.jpg

Coral_Reef3.jpg
    Biscayne-National-Park-Underwater-guided-dives-with-Tropic-Scuba-2.jpg
    corals%20and%20seagrass.png

it's part climate change and carbonic acid which is what happens when there is a lot of carbon dioxide being absorbed by water. Hence humans and burning fossil fuels.
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    The new screenshots look better to me, but then I've only ever played the new version.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I am of those that loves the new graphics. It was cool before, but i now think its much better. That being said i can understand why some players would like the old graphics better and i respect this choice. Wouldnt it be the best of the 2 worlds if we had the option to selects one or the other? im not sure it if would be doable but if yes, it would be the best solution