Base Building that does not eat land ?

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
I hate land deformation in this game which is really odd because I love games like modded minecraft and other voxel based games where it's part of the core game mechanic, but in this it just feels wrong I'm not sure why.

I would like the base building to find or snap to a location that does not destroy land and then just stretch its feet to the ground as default and then give players the option like if holding shift for example then the placement would switch to the way it is now and eat the land.

Not sure what it is but I hate the way the land gets deformed it's just far to aggressive I think.

Comments

• SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    edited January 2016
    The land excavation is indeed pretty aggressive. The moon pool cuts out a large enough rectangle that you might actually be able to fit two in the space. It would be nice if all of the models were as careful in their excavation as the corridors are, though having a key command that would force the minimum elevation of the current piece to that of the highest point of terrain within its collision area might be nice in the meantime.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    fair enough.
    the only thing is, with the moon pool, it's important to have that area eaten away so that you can drive the sea moth to the docking hole.
    fair enough.
    the only thing is, with the moon pool, it's important to have that area eaten away so that you can drive the sea moth to the docking hole.

To an extent, yes, but that should occur only directly under the hull of the module.
    tqESDvB.jpg

As you can see in the image, it excavates nearly half again its own width on every side. As a result of this, its difficult to place a moon pool or room in a tight location without it resulting in unnatural and ugly deformations of the terrain.
  • TheJewelOfJoolTheJewelOfJool Southwestern Ontario Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211261Members
    My Agree-o-meter has not reached levels this high!
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    Yeah it's a bit out of hand really and I second that I wish the other structure's cut as close as corridors. even with the moon pool as long as it clears the area between it's legs then it should be fine it does not need to eat away the amount of space that it does at the moment.

I'm actually of the opinion now that the moon pool should not even cut out the land below it. If a player wants to place it on flat terrain and then not be able to get in or out, or have to excavate their own path, they should be able to do that.
  • 07Kennya07Kennya England Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211293Members
    I'm actually of the opinion now that the moon pool should not even cut out the land below it. If a player wants to place it on flat terrain and then not be able to get in or out, or have to excavate their own path, they should be able to do that.

yes this I agree with as for the rest of the base I terraform over it and get rid of the parts that clip inside that works fine but the texture the terraform produces is kinda turn against other textures like rock I would prefer to build my base and terraform out the passages (terraformer actually lets you terraform through a window which is beast) or even better make pockets of air to have tunnels without making a structure.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    I second that moonpool feeling that it should be down to the player to make sure there is room bellow it and not have the land eaten away.

With the terraformer in the long run I think it's texture will reflect the texture or material that you sucked up, which indicates that it might be able to hold more than one material at a time, when this happens it will be a much better tool, but as it is now its just a waste and ultimately ends up making things look a mess.