NS3+UE4

NS3DreamNS3Dream USA Join Date: 2015-11-22 Member: 209422Members
The new community group just started and lets see what they bring to NS2, but hopefully we can see to the time after that also.
After Subnautica is done, would you like to see UWE working with NS3 on Unreal Engine 4 ?
If you don't think only from the business and nostalgia aspect UWE put to spark, just from pure gaming and modding aspect, and how it would bring in new players.

They already started Subnautica with unity, so why couldn't they start NS3 also with a new engine. Spark could be used to some side projects perhaps.
Majority of gamers really like that engine and could bring NS to a whole new light.

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I want NS3 on spark 2 :p
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No thank you to NS3.

If or when UWE makes NS3, it will not be NS2 with better performance. There's no reason to remake a game that did OK - you might as well try something NEW.

But I like the gameplay and balance of the current NS2. I would only change very minor Things. And knowing NS3 will likely not adopt much of NS2, then I don't want it. I don't want a noobfriendly NS - which I fear Uwe would make NS3. It seems to be the trend in game Development today.

All I want is NS2 + better performance. Dare I say; NS2++?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Source 2 or nothing
    The worst of them all considering mod and productivity aspects...
    Unreal Engine can be used in conjunction with free powerful tools like Blender directly (no script and hacks). Node system etc. A heaven compared to Valve tools that evolves in slow motion.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2015
    Since NS3 development won't start until Future Perfect at least makes significant progress, lets see how Spark 2.0 works out for Future Perfect before dismissing it so easily.

I state again, this discussion should not be had now nor anywhere in the near future.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I agree with you, @coolitic, too soon. And with the way subnautica has gone, I wonder if uwe will even have the desire to make another fps in lieu of more outside the box creative games... and possibly the continuation of this theme of nonviolence. Which will be sad imo, but to each their own.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    UE4, Unity, Frostbite... any would do fine.... but I wouldn't want to see NS3... I'd want to see "NS2.5: Re-gorgous-ified!"

I think the idea of NS2 being made more stable, more easily modded, more responsive and maybe better graphically is a fantastic idea... but when it comes to business, it would need to be backed up with a huge marketing campaign etc, otherwise it would be a waste of time and energy to do it.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2015
    Half-life 3 engine for sake of performance and quality.
    The worst of them all considering mod and productivity aspects...
    Unreal Engine can be used in conjunction with free powerful tools like Blender directly (no script and hacks). Node system etc. A heaven compared to Valve tools that evolves in slow motion.
    Source 2 dota reborn version allows you to use multiple different tools like blender, fbx etc and import them directly now, and the've brought in an awesome tiling functionality for games like dota, Source 2 is gonna be pretty cool, but i think the one HL3 goes onto will be even better.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    We have no idea yet of the performance of Source2. It could be a dog.

Also, IF UWE ever decided to make NS3, it would be so far down the line, who would even try and predict what types of engines were out there.

More than likely, they would use an upgraded spark, I mean, if they slap DX12 on it when it comes back for FP, it's already going to be a much faster engine..
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    True, Vulkan API and DX12.

Who knows, why release NS3 when you have Spark infront of you, i am sure max still has some tricks up his sleeve! Maybe we can borrow his brothers
    Weighted, Blended Order-Independent Transparency: Smoke for lerk spores? http://jcgt.org/published/0002/02/09/
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I love reading these technical documents on processing techniques.

I'm yet to understand a single one in the last 10 years, but, hopefully by the time I get skilled enough to combat engine development, I may understand something...
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    NS2: Single Player / Co-op Campaign
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ReapMyster wrote: »

*dies in 1 parasite, 2 bites* GAME OVER!
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited November 2015
    personaly i think it would be harder to make awsome ns2 maps on ue4
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think Spark Engine is amazing as it is. I just don't know how challenging it is to create game and maps around it compared to Unreal Engine or CryEngine.

I think slight update to the current engine is enough. Maybe by adding DX12 support for extra performance, but as far as looks go, it's amazing. The lighting, shadowing, ambient occlusion, cubemaps, especially cubemaps are jaw dropping. I don't remember many games where windows actually reflect entire room in them. I know it's a pre-rendered refelction but gives amazing feel of depth and realism. And same goes fo reflection fo lighting of surfaces. It looks amazing in my eyes and I love eyecandy. I've always said Spark will age well and it certainly did considering the game age today. Not many games can brag with such title.

UWE has two options really, upgrade and evolve NS2 or leave it where it is and split the fanbase into NS2 and NS3 where NS3 would undergo drastic changes. In a way I want NS2 to evolve but in other way, drastic changes might ruin it in which case it would better to have split community. It's always hard to decide which route to go.

I know I'm willing to financially support them even if they decide for upgrade route. NS2 is the only game that I've played for this long after the UT99 which I spent thouands of hours in playing solely against bots because my connectionw as crap. But it was brilliant and always different. Same goes for NS2. While games are similar, not two are ever the same.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe we could start a funding event. The Natural Selection 2 Upgrade Project (NS2UP), sounds catchy :smiley:
  • nemonemo Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11908Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    UE4 has no crossfire support :(
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    nemo wrote: »
    UE4 has no crossfire support :(

Soon™
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    RejZoR wrote: »
    I think Spark Engine is amazing as it is. I just don't know how challenging it is to create game and maps around it compared to Unreal Engine or CryEngine.

I think slight update to the current engine is enough. Maybe by adding DX12 support for extra performance, but as far as looks go, it's amazing. The lighting, shadowing, ambient occlusion, cubemaps, especially cubemaps are jaw dropping. I don't remember many games where windows actually reflect entire room in them. I know it's a pre-rendered refelction but gives amazing feel of depth and realism. And same goes fo reflection fo lighting of surfaces. It looks amazing in my eyes and I love eyecandy. I've always said Spark will age well and it certainly did considering the game age today. Not many games can brag with such title.

UWE has two options really, upgrade and evolve NS2 or leave it where it is and split the fanbase into NS2 and NS3 where NS3 would undergo drastic changes. In a way I want NS2 to evolve but in other way, drastic changes might ruin it in which case it would better to have split community. It's always hard to decide which route to go.

I know I'm willing to financially support them even if they decide for upgrade route. NS2 is the only game that I've played for this long after the UT99 which I spent thouands of hours in playing solely against bots because my connectionw as crap. But it was brilliant and always different. Same goes for NS2. While games are similar, not two are ever the same.

I haven't had a super in depth look into UE4, but they have game templates so you don't have to reinvent the wheel to get started, and the tools are certainly a lot more polished and easier to use, you can't realistically compare them because Epic has a massive team behind their engine so it's only logical that it is easier to use and more polished.

And you get engine source code. You can't ask for more, really...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    ReapMyster wrote: »

*dies in 1 parasite, 2 bites* GAME OVER!

Why do you automatically assume we're not going to follow the story of "The little Skulk that could", always with these bloody Homosapiens!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2015
    Who is this @NS3Dream who seems to have conveniently joined a few days ago?
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @matso @Obraxis @McGlaspie @GhoulofGSG9

So let's assume that NS2 is here to stay for a while and the possibility of an UE4+NS3 combo that the OP describes is off the cards for a while yet.

What needs to be done to improve spark performance across the board? Do we know what/where the current bottlenecks are? If so, do we know how hard they are to fix?

In line with UWE's desire to grow the game, will we see a renewed focus on ironing out performance issues so that players from a wide range of PC hardware are able to play the game with more stable framerates?

I understand that the new team hasn't been hired to address this issue directly, but assuming the other work they do is successful, can we expect to see this core issue for player retention addressed down the line ?

bonage wrote: »

So let's assume that NS2 is here to stay for a while and the possibility of an UE4+NS3 combo that the OP describes is off the cards for a while yet.

What needs to be done to improve spark performance across the board? Do we know what/where the current bottlenecks are? If so, do we know how hard they are to fix?

In line with UWE's desire to grow the game, will we see a renewed focus on ironing out performance issues so that players from a wide range of PC hardware are able to play the game with more stable framerates?

I understand that the new team hasn't been hired to address this issue directly, but assuming the other work they do is successful, can we expect to see this core issue for player retention addressed down the line ?

Are you not already satisfied with the performance updates that CDT have already worked hard on and pushed out? I think we have reached a point in optimisation that inching out an extra 1-2fps is pointless at this stage, I'd rather they focused their energies on re-balancing, gameplay fixes, additional features and of course player retention.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Maybe he means a greater view distance, an engine that supports more entities at once, physically simulated water/fire/breakables etc. As long as Sparks is offering less creation options and "performance" than other "engines", I wouldn't bother creating NS3 with it. The usability of the tools would have to be improved as well.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    bonage wrote: »

Are you not already satisfied with the performance updates that CDT have already worked hard on and pushed out? I think we have reached a point in optimisation that inching out an extra 1-2fps is pointless at this stage, I'd rather they focused their energies on re-balancing, gameplay fixes, additional features and of course player retention.

You are not looking at the bigger picture here. I myself am satisfied that progress has been made toward a point where performance is better, but i have the luxury of running high end OC hardware that the average person doesn't have. If the game is to grow, if the franchise is to grow, then joe blogs on his low/mid tier system needs to be able to play the game at stable high fps.

As long performance remains a barrier for baseline retention for those people, how can we be satisfied ? It's a variable that has to be eliminated at some point so that focus can shift to other areas.
  • KartoshkaKartoshka Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @[AwE]Sentinel No, I think in this case he probably means just raw performance and FPS in comparison to what people expect from games these days. Imo it was the biggest turn off for players upon release, both casual and competitive. For some anecdotal evidence, I had a friend who installed it on his laptop and it was unplayable. He then went and installed CS:GO and other games which played fine on said laptop. As someone who was not in a position to upgrade, he was then unable to play NS2 and it was an easy decision for him to move onto other games. I don't think he was in a unique position either.

@Yojimbo I have no idea how much it has increased due to the work of the CDT (I am certain it has been significant and I personally am "satisfied" with their efforts). But as I have upgraded my machine and can't do a proper comparison in terms of FPS, I can't really see for myself the improvements. You ask your question with a pretty emotional lean on it though, which makes it hard to give an objective answer. It is not really a matter of whether we are "satisfied" its more a question of whether casual players can run it on their machines and competitive players are satisfied with the frame rates they are getting.
    Kartoshka wrote: »
    @[AwE]Sentinel No, I think in this case he probably means just raw performance and FPS in comparison to what people expect from games these days. Imo it was the biggest turn off for players upon release, both casual and competitive. For some anecdotal evidence, I had a friend who installed it on his laptop and it was unplayable. He then went and installed CS:GO and other games which played fine on said laptop. As someone who was not in a position to upgrade, he was then unable to play NS2 and it was an easy decision for him to move onto other games. I don't think he was in a unique position either.

@Yojimbo I have no idea how much it has increased due to the work of the CDT (I am certain it has been significant and I personally am "satisfied" with their efforts). But as I have upgraded my machine and can't do a proper comparison in terms of FPS, I can't really see for myself the improvements. You ask your question with a pretty emotional lean on it though, which makes it hard to give an objective answer. It is not really a matter of whether we are "satisfied" its more a question of whether casual players can run it on their machines and competitive players are satisfied with the frame rates they are getting.

There is no emotional lean in my words, we have reached a point now where there isn't much point in optimising a game that already has alot of work put into it already, you can't treat this engine as a source engine, you simply will not achieve consistent 200fps goals, there has not been a low fps performance post in technical forums for quite abit, just technical bugs which 80% of the time are resolved.

The focus has been placed on optimisation for quite a few patches now, that alone will not retain playerbase, the important factor is how to change up the same stale gameplay that has remained the same for a long time now (@Kouji_San you are pretty good at finding the last "balance" patch).

Re-balancing, squishing long outstanding bugs e.g. PG bug, tunnel bugs and additional content should be the primary focus, if you look at the newly formed ns2dev team, it does not indicate very strongly a performance orientated team.
  • KartoshkaKartoshka Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You have a fair point Yojimbo, and I am sorry if I was accusatory in my tone. We all want this thing to go somewhere, and I am happy to concede on any point that I see I was mistaken on. I think one error you might be making however, is not seeing the problem of player retention as multi-faceted. What I am saying is, it's not one thing against another, its just each thing being part of the picture (performance, features and content, bug fixing all play a role). In technical terms you may be correct, perhaps we have exhausted the engine's capabilities to pump out more frames. In which case, you are 100% correct - focus on the other stuff. I think what Bonage was stating is that performance is still an issue for low end systems, and that given agreement that this is something to care about, what could be done to address it.