ns2_mesh (used to be called docking2)

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2014
    update changelog 22.10.2014

- removed ladder from tower
    - widened Ball Court - Locker Room connection and added light in there
    - removed Locker Room - Bar vent
    - added Back Alley - Central Access vent
    - moved Locker Room hive further north
    - rearranged lockers in Locker Room
    - detailed Ball Court a bit
    - comeplete Courtyard overhaul
    - added trims in Junction (you shouldn't be able to jump in that vent alone anymore)
    - moved Ball Court powernode further north
    - reduced walking time from Terminal to Storage
    - added rain infront of Terminal, Cafeteria and Look-Out windows
    - added rain textures in the above mentioned windows
    - added skybox props (should obstruct the tunnel)

I guess I will post some screenshots soon

EDIT: ok a bit of geometry decided to disappear in tower so it's unplayable atm. will fix that asap
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    ok should be fixed now and here you got your screenshots
    2018a56764.jpg
    here you got the overview since the last picture of that is a bit outdated
    355e5612e1.jpg
    courtyard now
    update changelog 9.11.2014

- changed Ball Court - Locker Room connection
    - moved escalators RT away from the catwalk rail
    - moved vent entrance in stability monitoring higher
    oh wow last update was in november... took longer than I thought

Anyway I didn't update here for a long time for a reason. One reason was the NSL season 5. The other reason was that this update is a bit larger. In fact it is big enough that I did not want to make a changelog for it sow I roughly summarize what is new

- I have completely redone the whole central part of the map
    - Departures and Platform has moved closer to the center of the map
    - I fused some locations together so the minimap doesn't look so flooded with names and powernodes
    - some other small stuff like adding some vents and making the entrances more visible (I hope)

Since the biggest changes are the layout and the new rooms I've build (and replaced them with older ones) I will give you the pictures of those
    f95ecf74b7.jpg
    the new layout
    a7066b5ca4.jpg
    Command
    476a177646.jpg
    Central
    120bc75ef2.jpg
    Junction

I hope the new layout doesn't end up too marine friendly since it is quite easy to reach both natural Alien RTs if the spawn is Generator.
    Well some playtests will figure that out for me
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    It's been a while since I last took a look around docking2 (you should really think of another name). I'll check this new update tonight and get you some fresh feedback. So far, I've only played on game on it and it was on one of the very first versions of the map, if not the first that came out. I don't know if the SCC has played it lately, but you could definitely ask for docking2 to be played next Sunday. The end of the season should bring more people I hope.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    ns2_tawcarrygermanmapperbestplayerns2

Nop, Docking2 is fine. For now...
    well a map describing me would be great but the new name will be ns2_broken. I just have no idea how to change the name of a mod in steam... or I did not even try to look it up because I'm too lazy :D
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    ns2_lazy

We have a winner!
    edited January 2015
    twitch.tv/skyfishart/b/617318008

so here is the first maptest of this map version if anyone of you is interested
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    You just rename the mapfile, and change the shown name in workshop? :D
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    You just rename the mapfile, and change the shown name in workshop? :D

The main issue is finding a new appropriate name. That is for a later time. ;)
    Tonight's SCC playtest :
    Aliens started Gen, marines Cafe, got stomped the whole game by marines going Stab through Central. I hit that fucking window in departures again as lerk xD but I know you fixed that already.
    Fighting in the corridors around Stab was a real pain. They are kind of narrow atm. Overall the scale of the map, its rooms, props, layout feels a bit off. I don't know, it felt narrow, small.
    Overall connectivity seems fine to me, but maybe work on these connections, with wider corridors, with higher ceilings, to avoid the Eclipse syndrome. I'd suggest opening Departures a bit more too. I don't know, I still haven't figured out what exactly bothers me with some parts of docking 2.

edited February 2015
    yeah I was thinking that gen spawn for aliens is hardest atm because when marines claim junction, both natural RTs are in danger.

When you talk about corridors around stab, do you mean the one leading to the center, the one leading to gen or the one leading to dep?

I actually did alot so it does not feel narrow anymore. Some connections between rooms are a bit narrow and some rooms might be a bit shallow like command, central access and back alley... though central access and back alley are supposed to be that way.

Maybe some others who played it can give soem oppinions aswell

EDIT: The one thing that bothers me atm is that you have doorways connecting most of the rooms so the map feels like it's a chain of rooms connected by a little choke point. I did it great from escalators - departures in my opinion
    Mephilles wrote: »
    When you talk about corridors around stab, do you mean the one leading to the center, the one leading to gen or the one leading to dep?
    All of them
    edited February 2015
    update changelog 16.2.2015

- made Locker Rooms larger
    - made Look-Out larger
    - Landing Pad is brighter now
    - stability monitoring is slightly bigger
    - removed stability monitoring - junction vent
    - added Maintenance - Junction vent
    - added some cover in the ceiling at the Junction - Stability Monitoring connection
    - opened up cooling tank entrances a bit
    - changes storage - command entrance
    - removed a pillar in departures
    - fixed pathing bug in Landing Pad
    - added missing occlusion geometry in Cafeteria and Back Alley

EDIT: oh I didn't rename the map on this build because docking2 is advertised as docking2 in the All-Star game (thx for that @tudy )
    edited February 2015
    update changelog 20.02.2015

- fixed that a part of locker rooms was unpowered all the time
    - you can't jump on terminal roof as single marine anymore
    - return of the skyfish lerk (the skyfish lerk is the lerk that protects natural extractors... yes the marine RTs)
    - added an awkward fence in command to prevent arcing from command to escalators RT (I'm rly rly sorry for that awkward implementation, I will find something smoother after the all star game)
    - added conveyors in the ceiling of escalators - central connection to give lerks a higher survivability in there
    - you can't look in the ready room and locker rooms anymore when standing on top of the train in ball court
    - improved pathing around cafeteria RT
    - lowered atmospheric density of some lights in the map (especially cafeteria and look-out)
    - fixed the minimap so escalators and plattform are connected again

EDIT: noticed the all star game is next weekend and not tomorrow... confused it with the divisional. I have 1 week time to fix that awkward fence. should be possible to do that
    update changelog 27.02.2015

right on time for the all star game

- removed that awkward fence in command (yay). replaced it with something better looking.
    - improved performance on command a bit
    - switched the positions of the broken window and the healthy window in terminal so you can't shoot a possible hive from the roof anymore
    - moved the hive in departures a bit further away from the corner
    - the lockers in Locker Room are smaller now

known bug I am too lazy to fix now: the pathing in generator to the lower level is broken but only on the slope at the cooling tanks exit. Drifters, ARCs, MACs and cysts need to do a tiny detour to use the slope on maintenance side.
    update changelog 22.03.2015:

ok this one includes most of the feedback I can remember that came to me after the all star game. Layout wise didn't happen much but a couple of rooms look different now so a bunch of pictures will probably do the job.
    edb5e1301c.jpg
    here we have the new mnimap first

9f0aa1f437.jpg
    dc96eb430b.jpg
    that strange room between escalators and terminal felt wrong, so I replaced it with a room that looks like it belongs to escalators

878ba6c4af.jpg
    ok that one wasn't any feedback but I wanted to do the train area below departures long time ago anyways

9b2d778c9b.jpg
    e9796a9396.jpg
    cooling tanks was a room that felt like a hallway before. hope that changes now the way it looks like

0c86bb0c96.jpg
    the flamed maintenance hallway now has ceiling cover to make this room easier for fades and lerks (onos will still have a hard time though)

034c6c7a87.jpg
    I was told that the connection from maintenance to junction is too long and narrow. I basically widened it and added some cover + a way to flank through a vent

5fc84927a0.jpg
    a3c1ab214d.jpg
    Storage had a LoS problem and honestly I didn't like that part very much. So a complete overhaul of Storage was necessary for me (inspired by shipping tunnels from @Flaterectomy ns2_caged)

de095b8431.jpg
    well and at last I was told that Look-Out was too marine OP so I gave aliens something to play with
    update changelog: 05.04.2015 (happy eastern btw)

- windows in escalators, platform and departures are more easily visible now
    - added some cover in storage and landing pad
    - fixed an occlusion geometry issue in look-out
    - multiple little bug fixes
    edited April 2015
    update changelog 24.04.2015:

- removed the pathing in that strange platform hallway (so no more gorge tunnels in there)
    - removed some ceiling cove in escalators
    - splitted up junction into west- and east junction to increase rotation times from maintenance RT to stability RT (yes stealing names from ns2_veil is my thing now)
    - changed some lighting here and there
    d79a9f56de.jpg
    bc7311a4a7.jpg
    this is the new part of east junction
    edited May 2015
    Just some things : (I'll edit as I notice stuff worth giving feedback on)

I'd suggest you scale the table props so they are wider in Bar. Because right now there is not much cover anywhere in this room for aliens (skulks). Just imagine alien crushes in Bar at the start of the game or a skulk resbiting. The LoS and lack of cover make it super easy for marines to hold. Especially if marines start in Cafe.

oh and the minimap looks inaccurate. Look at Storage for example, where the power node is, you don't see the whole internal layout
    thx for the info in storage, didn't notice. And will do that stuff in Bar aswell. I mean it's a possible alien natural after all
    Mephilles wrote: »
    thx for the info in storage, didn't notice. And will do that stuff in Bar aswell. I mean it's a possible alien natural after all
    Oh yeah I forgot about that, Lockers can be an alien starting Hive so Bar its natural. yeah it really lacks any kind of cover.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Map doesn't work. Chairs disappeared when both commanders were in.
    hmmm we had that issue once during our tests but when we resetted the map it was fine
    Okay I have found the cause of that bug and will be fixed next build. In case it happens to you next time just reset the game. (no need to reload the map) It happens quite randomly and in 8/10 tries the CC and hive was there
    edited May 2015
    update changelog 23.05.2015:
    - that part between Escalators and Central is it's own room now (Conveyor)
    - minimap is more accurate now (especially at Storage and Escalators area)
    b00cb0c29f.jpg

- detailed Access
    f74274fc37.jpg
    27ae05b7aa.jpg
    8d4613c5ef.jpg

- Conveyor is a bit more detailed now
    - Storage is a bit more detailed now
    - moved Storage Powernode
    - added a wall to go around in Escalators to increase traveling time
    - changed the Platform-Escalators connection
    - textured the southern part of East Junction
    - the tables in Bar provide a bit more cover now
    - Cooling railings provide cover aswell now
    - fixed the bug with the disappearing CC/Hive
    - other tiny stuff I can't remember now :p