Coming Next: Seabases - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageComing Next: Seabases - Subnautica

There’s two big pieces of Subnautica news today. The first is that we’ve got a whole bunch of work-in-progress seabase stuff to show you. The second is that we’ve just...

Read the full story here

Comments

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I love the look of the modular pieces/concept art. Great work!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Its fun to build stuff :)
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Awesome, really looking forward to playing around with these modular bases! ;D
  • subcarrotheadsubcarrothead home Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201586Members
    This reminds me of the bases I used to make in X-com! Think of the possibilities! Module for research, containment, dining, etc. What about defenses? On multiplayer/pvp.... holy crap, cutting into my buddies base and looting it? This game really makes me think, i love it so far!
  • itsXthomasTAGitsXthomasTAG Florida Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201588Members
    Well i like the idea of an actual base of sorts being added to the game but the main issue i have with it right now is very little control over screen resolution. The game seems to have no support what so ever for my preferred resolution and as a result i either have to play in a much lower resolution in windowed mode or i have to play in a much higher resolution and suffer some serious fps loss. So what i want to see is more graphic options and a little more optimization. Other than that i love the game so far and i have been having quite a bit of fun exploring, although those exploder fish scared the living dog poop out of me the first time i saw them.

Oh and on a separate note my preferred resolutions are 1152x864 for games that have the higher end graphics and 1280x1024 for games that don't have high end graphics. I'm running a 650 GTX and i still have issues sometimes.
  • EdwinStoweEdwinStowe Waterworld Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201590Members
    edited February 2015
    This reminds me of the bases I used to make in X-com! Think of the possibilities! Module for research, containment, dining, etc. What about defenses? On multiplayer/pvp.... holy crap, cutting into my buddies base and looting it? This game really makes me think, i love it so far!

I have to say I'm completely addicted to building in this game. It still needs lots of work and tweaks, but I love the terra-forming tool, upgrading things on my ship, etc. If they include multiplayer and defense setups for personal bases...*mind explodes*

Some things I would love to see incorporated eventually:

Underwater drainable airlock doors- Example: (player 1 is operating base inside, gets a radio call from player 2 to allow them access. The outer door opens,closes, water drains- player 2 then enters base. It should be possible since you can already flood your submarines in a similar manner.

Deadly underwater monsters or natural elements like lava/acid/electricty that could potentially harm your compound if encountered. This can be done now to an extent, at least against terra-formed base creations. The submarine can absolutely destroy entire wall sections without suffering much hull damage
    (lesson learned)

After finding out the base building tools are only found on Experimental, I switched over. However I'm still having trouble finding the blueprints to create rooms, walls, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to locate the fragments first?

Note: There was an update to subnautica experimental and it is now impossible for me to access items under blueprints/inventory/submarine. Circle icon remains frozen to the center of the screen, but functions normally while looking around/ interacting with environment.

• AquareonAquareon Under the sea Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201595Members
    Deep thanks for reconsidering the big boring cubes approach to seabase design. As an underwater habitat nerd, that really bothered me. It looks like you're on the right track with these modular cylinders.

But for variety, how about a modest selection of special large modules? Like a greenhouse/tree dome. Or a hangar for the Seamoth. That would help break up the monotony of identical repeating tunnels.
  • MindtunnelMindtunnel Texas Join Date: 2015-02-23 Member: 201520Members
    I have a slight problem with the Tech-Tree how gold is used for high-tech wiring and silver is used for medium-tech. Silver is the best electrical conductive metal on earth, copper is an even better conductor than gold. Why is gold needed for high-tech constructions? We plate connectors with gold because it's soft and non-corrosive but beyond that it's pretty useless as an electrical conductor.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Type 'item builder' after hitting enter to get the builder tool and the new builder menu. Don't think they've fully implemented it in the fabricator just yet in experimental. You'll have to start a new game if you're carrying over the save from non-experimental.
  • AraxielAraxiel Canada Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201598Members
    edited February 2015
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Type 'item builder' after hitting enter to get the builder tool and the new builder menu. Don't think they've fully implemented it in the fabricator just yet in experimental. You'll have to start a new game if you're carrying over the save from non-experimental.

Thanks for the tip. I've got the builder, but apparently there's only the fabricator and the locker available to be build. Am I missing something, or were base parts removed from the current experimental build?

Big Edit: You have to start a new game. Even if the previous game was on the experimental branch.
    However, you can get the builder from the fabricator. It's also apparently the only way now to build the locker and fabricator.

The base building itself is a...nice proof of concept. I was quite disappointed with it actually. No windows, no vertical movement, very limited space (putting a locker in the hallway eats up half the hallway and looks ugly/makes my OCD sense tingle) and the annoying fundament is very restrictive. Multiple levels are possible, but the struts then float in the air (well, I guess water) and there is no connection between different levels.

But this is just my assessment of what there is at this very moment, I completely understand that is far, far from finished, but that doesn't mean I won't criticise it or give feedback.

Also apparently, the straight pieces can't turn (or I haven't figured out how).
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited February 2015
    you can build tube chambers, the entrance portal, lockers, fabricator, and power generator. There are no windows or vertical attachments yet (although you can build vertically).

Yet. Sadly, there's not much to see, depending on where you build. I like to build a 1-platform minibase on one of the red-grass pillars to get a better view of the reefbacks, but the view distance is so short I doubt I could see any anyway.
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2015
    [Squeal Like a Pig [developer] Feb 10 @ 11:08pm
    We do want to eventually have more shapes then just the cubes, but for now the cubes work the best. They are easy to stack, whereas domed ceiling rooms are not. They are easy to put next to one another and create a much bigger base, that is uniform in look, rather then a bunch of oddly shaped modules jammed next to one another. It also provides more useable space inside the rooms, then say a round shaped room, which becomes problematic for building modules on the walls.

We'll be trying to round off the corners on the cubes, and we'll probably try and eventually have tubed shaped hallway connector pieces, and maybe some specialized rooms, like a spherical "observatory" style room. But the more shapes we add, the more art time to make the pieces and the more programming to implement them, so we need to find the right balance between visuals and practicality.

You will be able to dock your Seamoth, and we are hoping even your Cyclops.]

Cory, you won me over with cubes and tubes and then you dropped me like a wet paper bag! :P Honestly the ISS style was what I pushed for in the beginning so I can't complain too loudly although I do wonder if a certain amount of customization and creativity is lost in this new design. I was admittedly very disappointed when first reading the report because it leaves the impression that all our bases will be is a series of interconnected tube corridors. While that is the much more plausible and realistic design, it looked very claustrophobic and constrained. Now I have read this additional note on steam in regard to bases and my "worries" have subsided somewhat.

[Squeal Like a Pig [developer] 20 hours ago
    this is just the first implementation. We plan on adding more shapes and larger sizes, such as large domes, so that there can be larger interior spaces.]

Perhaps something similar to this... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=400338604 ? Very rough draft model I made there for representation, don't judge too harshly :P ...and the walls on the domes I purposefully made high to account for fabricators, lockers and other things that need them.

My opinion is that I want to use the corridors as corridors and nice ocean viewing walkways - not main pieces where I would try to set up research stations and fabricators. I do see where that might come in handy when you just want a very small outpost though...I hope there is always the option to use them in both those capacities respectively. Might we still get vertical corridors with access lifts in the future?

I am a big fan of the art style and the look and feel you guys have with the Cyclops, the base pieces, and everything in general and I understand the need for a system that maintains a certain level of realism, uniformity, and connectivity (I actually like that aspect of it), but I do not like those foundation pieces. :( Perhaps they will grow on me, but they seem so restrictive in terms of our ability to make more interesting layouts. For instance, if I want to build my base inside a cave system or a series of tunnels I created, instead of just having nice smaller corridors to work with, every corridor has a wide foundation piece that I have to dig out more sand for or have to hope it will fit in the narrower cave passages. I can still see the foundation pieces working on a tiered base that runs down a cliff face, but in imagining that, it also seems like a lot of extra work and pain to try with those types of foundations in the way. I'll reserve further judgment until playing with it more, but those are the initial impressions.

I wish you were able to go into more detail on the whole thought process involved with the design decisions and also give us more insight into your vision of what it might look like in the end, but thanks very much for the update! Still excited to play with corridors and looking forward to what is coming in addition to them. The concept art and 3d modeling is outstanding! Cheers.

*Edit* And props to Dushan for making it all come together as noted in the post. No small task indeed!
    edited February 2015
    I'd have preferred a more stylized modelling, but sometimes the 1x1m approach is the more realistically pragmatic approach next to the mushroom-powered submarines. o.O

Either way, the sooner I can build my 2x2-vertical-tower-atop-a-pillar with an observatory where I can gawk at reefbacks without humping a lazily textured straw like a fish with mental issues, the better. Also a chair. My gluteus needs a break after flippering for seven days straight.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited March 2015
    Eh... I know it's a work in progress but... yeah... not a fan of the current base buildings after playing with them for a while. Guess I'll wait for the devs to put more out there on the exp branch. It's at least not better than GRAV's base buildings atm which is about as the same for blandness. I can understand the foundations an all though, although tedious to put down. I know some are going to say why not just combine the buildings with the foundations instead of having to build both!? because it's modular!
    edited March 2015
    The current 'tubes' are good for hallways or a simple airlock, but you'd need at least a 2x2 room as any kind of functional space that doesn't feel like a rat maze. A 3x3 base right now really feels awkward with no real space a player can 'stretch out' in (much less stretch out on). It's the current WIP, which should get a lot of attention in this field, but it's not the only issue at hand looking at long-term play.

The other problem winds up being when windows come into play. The only place you can set up a base and have a 'view' are the shallows due to the light level and biodiversity. The kelp forests are too irregular for foundations (and murky), and the visibility and biodiversity of the other biomes is sorely lacking still.

The only functional base right now is a single I-tube with power generator, a couple lockers, a fabricator, and a beacon/crates outside. Everything else is pretty much excess space for the time being.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    En9a9e wrote: »

Perhaps something similar to this... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=400338604 ? Very rough draft model I made there for representation, don't judge too harshly :P ...and the walls on the domes I purposefully made high to account for fabricators, lockers and other things that need them.
    Nice job with that mockup, that is actually very much along the lines of what we were thinking.
    En9a9e wrote: »
    I am a big fan of the art style and the look and feel you guys have with the Cyclops, the base pieces, and everything in general and I understand the need for a system that maintains a certain level of realism, uniformity, and connectivity (I actually like that aspect of it), but I do not like those foundation pieces. :( Perhaps they will grow on me, but they seem so restrictive in terms of our ability to make more interesting layouts. For instance, if I want to build my base inside a cave system or a series of tunnels I created, instead of just having nice smaller corridors to work with, every corridor has a wide foundation piece that I have to dig out more sand for or have to hope it will fit in the narrower cave passages. I can still see the foundation pieces working on a tiered base that runs down a cliff face, but in imagining that, it also seems like a lot of extra work and pain to try with those types of foundations in the way. I'll reserve further judgment until playing with it more, but those are the initial impressions.
    Yes, we've been discussing removing the platforms and would like to do some prototypes of that, once we have this first pass on the bases implemented. Something along the lines of this quick paintover I made a few days ago https://www.dropbox.com/s/4klnz8v9jik9wmj/NoPlatformsLongerLegs.jpg?dl=0

I do like having the legs directly on the tubes/structures instead of dedicated platforms after seeing that mockup.
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes, we've been discussing removing the platforms and would like to do some prototypes of that, once we have this first pass on the bases implemented. Something along the lines of this quick paintover I made a few days ago https://www.dropbox.com/s/4klnz8v9jik9wmj/NoPlatformsLongerLegs.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for the additional info Squeal and consideration on the support style topic...always enjoy seeing the great concept art you and the team create during the process.
    edited March 2015
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig Another thought that came to mind...what if the corridors did not require foundations but larger rooms did. Larger rooms and their foundations might be pre-attached as one unit for fabrication and built simultaneously so that a sea floor check is done first before placement is allowed (the dome/room already requiring alignment to the corridor beforehand).
    Good idea. That does make sense.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Is it going to be possible to make rooms on the side of cliffs or trenches? Think that would be awesome
    edited March 2015
    Throwing some more sea wall base concept images at you guys for consideration. Foundations and corridors adapting their leg attachments accordingly...

ypIs3D1.jpg
    lhYP9JR.jpg
    I'm not much of an ocean engineer, but wouldn't the buoyancy of those large rooms require better structural security? The tubes should be fine since they're anchored 4x every couple meters, but those rooms should pull off the platforms or rip off the walls.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    I have to agree with Zourin, for the amount of support... definitely not enough for such large structures; especially if it's hanging off a cliff like that. I could understand of the material for the supports was made out of carbon nanotubes. But you have to take into effect of depth pressure, currents and weight of buildings.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    It doesn't seem that bad, at least according to this from the aquarius lab
    That's only 13m deep, and it has those huge concrete foundations anchoring it, and it's not nearly the same size as the large seabase rooms we'd like.
    edited March 2015
    It looks flimsy-- anyone (at least I think anyone) can see that even though it looks clean it may throw many people off

I know it's crazy I'm the advocate of realism in this case, but it's also a matter of aesthetics-- it may look better with more fancy supports, or what have you-- something to improve the integrity of the structure is an added benefit, nothing more

Edit : Though I do appreciate the effort at trying to make my idea come to life En9a9e :P
    I don't mind the critique at all, just throwing it out as a concept mock up for them to look at. On the engineering side I'd definitely have to defer to an engineer as I would likely tend toward the artistic side of things before engineering. Point taken though. One other thing to consider is that it is a sci-fi setting we're playing in. I do really hope they take out foundations for corridors so something similar to sea wall base building (even if it isn't like what I made at all) can be done without the constant foundation hindrances every piece.
    Well, as stated, I'd prefer it look atmospheric rather than realistic, but that's just me-- a game like this is bound to attract Science fanatics lol