New option: Rookie Mode

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
<div class="IPBDescription">Quick docs here</div>There is the new “rookie mode” system in Build 220.

Servers indicate if they are “rookie friendly” or not by setting the tag “rookie friendly”:

ServerConfig.json
{
"settings":
{
"rookie_friendly": true,
"auto_team_balance": true,
"unbalance_count": 2
},
"tags": [ "rookie" ]
}

Servers that are set as “rookie friendly” should show up as such in the server browser:
All players are marked as “rookies” until they have logged 4 hours of play. During this time, their communication (chat, voice icon) are displayed in green and they are indicated to others as a new player. Other players are told to help rookies via a loading screen hint.
Players can disable display of themselves as “rookies” by turning it off in the options
After 4 hours, you are automatically set to not being a rookie. Even if you turn it back on, it will turn off every 30 seconds of play.
This is a social convention, nothing is enforced. I’m hoping this is enough to let players get games with others that aren’t way above their skill level, allowing them to get some kills and some guidance while they are learning. There could still be poachers, but hopefully there will be less then without rookie mode.

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    For easy reference:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121063" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=121063</a>
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    I'm glad you guys are working on the newer players and incoming. But if the servers are not able to keep up and all windows. How does supply and demand hold up? I know you are working on Linux too. I just hope you don't fall into the mistake many people have made in the past. COD black ops for pc was big on it.

Rookie mode is a good idea, but please get the servers silky smooth and that pleasant linux ship (for servers). Even though i'm not sure why anyone would want a noob tag since most communities like to publicly flog for no reason nowadays.

Good luck!
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1980597:date=Sep 20 2012, 02:01 AM:name=Apollonius999)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apollonius999 @ Sep 20 2012, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But if the servers are not able to keep up and all windows.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are a number of servers that 'keep up' with the game just fine. Take a look at the stats on <a href="http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/" target="_blank">http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/</a> . The OS has literally zero to do with the ability of the server to run smoothly.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How does supply and demand hold up?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Supply and demand of.. what?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know you are working on Linux too. I just hope you don't fall into the mistake many people have made in the past. COD black ops for pc was big on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What mistake was that? Are you trying to say that BO was popular on Linux?
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    Device nice catch on breaking that up. To answer your questions, it is simple. Supply and Demand of servers to people. Unless you expect NS2 to have the mindset of only staying niche and not growing much at all or having a decent start up.

Linux for servers because even for GSP's or normal people Windows Licensing is much more expensive. Also you can tell me all day there are many servers that hold up just fine. But until i play a 18/18 game without someone warping around me, my responses will be the same. I even stated (linux servers) in the next paragraph but thanks for bringing up linux client side which they clearly stated is not even on the board from the podcast. There are still many servers that can't keep up just fine and even those that can still have pretty bad dips.

Also BO failed miserably in their start up due to server problems. Slideshows, glitches, not being able to keep up, and the monetary fact it cost far more to run a server. This time users can run their own servers, but their specs have to be up to par. How would you like to buy an online game then start playing and have to get the "right" server to get a good game.

I'm glad they are getting close to release. But i've been waiting since Fall 2009 just like everyone else. I expect a polished and tidy game even if i have to wait a bit longer. It's better than getting bad reviews on the start and denying the word spreading from bad experiences.

It takes 1 bad experience to tell many sets of ears, whereas a good experience normally only makes it to a couple ears at best.
  • smokedatchetsmokedatchet perth australia Join Date: 2015-01-09 Member: 200720Members
    rookie mode is a stupid idea.rookie servers are never populated.i have spent 2 days trying to get the last hour of ns2 to get off rookie.according to steam i have 218 hours racked up
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    rookie mode is a stupid idea.rookie servers are never populated.i have spent 2 days trying to get the last hour of ns2 to get off rookie.according to steam i have 218 hours racked up

First of all please look at the date of last post in a thread before posting this one is from 2012. Secondly what you mean are "no rookie" servers, what this thread is about introducing the "rookie friendly" servers.

Last but not least the no rookie servers are based on a mod and due to technically limitations in the steam api they can't get your steam playtime if your profile is not public. Meaning otherwise they fall back to using data of hive which is only about a half year on-line and of course might did not track enough time in your case.

I'm closing this thread now due to it's age. If you still have need to discuss any of this please open a new thread!
This discussion has been closed.