Game crashing on start

majorbrightonmajorbrighton Sweden Join Date: 2014-12-13 Member: 200025Members
Hi all,

So I could not hold back any longer and bought the game. Yet seems to crash after finishing the intro.
5 times with and same results.
Had started a free play game with lowest quality - crash
Normal game same result.
It can crash with sound still running i.e. graphic driver unstable or crashing. Have latest driver.

I have a good gaming pc and no trouble with other games.
Anybody with a clue to help a sailor stuck in his sub would be rely helpful right now ;)
System Information
Time of this report: 12/13/2014, 09:02:35
Machine name: STEVE-PC
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r3.140827-1500)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P67A-UD4-B3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8176MB RAM
Page File: 3574MB used, 5881MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode
Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 580
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_086A10DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4042 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1482 MB
Shared Memory: 2559 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: ASUS VW266H
Monitor Id: ACI26A4
Here are my "Afterburner" settings:
Core Voltage: 1025mV -> 1050mV
Core Clock: 768 MHz - 794 Mhz
Memory Clock: 2000 Mhz -> 2120 MHz
Fan Speed: Locked to max

Many thanks

p.s. Choose "Tech support" under Category and posted and found I had posted in the Natural selection forum? weird!

Comments

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Hmm can you post Subnautica_Data/output_log.txt?
  • majorbrightonmajorbrighton Sweden Join Date: 2014-12-13 Member: 200025Members
    Hi Steve, I found what you were looking for and thanks for your time.

ok, would not let me peaste it in, so enclose it instead.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Ok does this happen all the time or was it a one time thing?
    It happen more often lately and not always while in a game; it can just quit or re-start without me doing anything, so thought my settings using "Afterburner" might be wrong after all re-core voltage or the memory clock? As I do get the constant message that the g-driver had just recovered from another crash. The fact that it always happens when starting Subnautica is annoying, yet by no means the only time.
    I have just updated the g-driver and am not skilled at knowing what settings might help in Afterburner to ease the load on the driver if any load exists?
    I enclose a screen shot with my current settings in Afterburner, and thank you again for your help.
    eh OK i'm not sure what afterburner is. i would suggest seeing how other games - if a lot of other games tend to crash as well, then it's not SN-specific, so we can't do much.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Hehe you have Gigabyte card i have 660 thay tend to overclock the cards. Install Gigabyte OC Guru II and downclock GPU -35MHz Boost minimum voltage to 1.025 (+0,500) and power target to 110% and try. I had this problem with Natural Selection 2. Driver crashed all the time. It helped me. Try it.
    StveRock, thx for the insight, yet having said that this game is instigating a crash at its start every time, were I can manage to play other games for a whole evening... sometimes!

CarNagE1, um, will definitely not overlook your tip as see if Gigabyte Oc could be better. As I stated, I´m not at all at home with the right settings using "Afterburner" and although I have stress-tested the card with "Heavens Benchmark" and thought the graphics stable, the crashes are still sporadic enough even when not playing.
    Your the first to suggest lower settings, so I will look into it, and say thanks.
    Yet those settings are for your card right. There was a point 2 months ago with what seemed to be the same problem, yet on upping the Core voltage seemed to make the problem go away for 2 weeks.

yeah, it is hard to understand why a driver should stop when the machine is not even under stress, like while on the desktop? Yet those are prity rare.

I will look at this Guru.

Thx again
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2014
    Afterburner is MSI Afterburner, a clock/voltage control utility for video cards - mostly for overclocking although it can be used for monitoring voltages/temperatures/load/etc. and it has gotten game->video recording features in the last year or so.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Having OC'd PC's for many many years, my first port of call when having any crashing is to remove all overclocks. Do a bios reset and set everything to default.

Then play the games, see if any crashes occur. If the crashes stop occurring, then you were pushing too hard on one of your overclocks. If the crashes continue occuring, then start testing individual components, normally the GFX card first. I have a Geforce560ti at the moment which was a great overclocker, but now if I overclock it by as much as 1% it artifacts and the machine crashes. So I now have to keep it at stock, while I'm looking for my new card.
    First off, thank you HeatSurge for helping enlighten SteveRock on the Afterburner software, I missed that myself.

Soul_Rider (cool name), Yes, I have had my settings set at stock too, in fact I have already had the g-card replaced with another that was apparently lying around in the shop, the system is not that old and has been left in to be fixed for this very same reason and yet after 2 weeks I have the same problem using the same card! The technician claimed he had also thought it was a matter of better adjusting these settings I mentioned and since the card has been swapped out, it rules out that peace of hardware.

Last night I looked for viruses and found none.
    I then searched the net for ideas for better settings re-AfterBurn.
    I then stress tested with what I thought were safe settings, yet a quick Benchmark proved my lack of skill and instant crashes were the only events recorded!
    I had thought to try with another card before, yet ruled out the idea as the card had already been swapped.
    If it was the memory being corrupt? The tech never suggested it could be...
    My HD´s are not too full.
    I will defrag tonight...
    I do have a ****** lot of games through Steam (213) and all in the same place?
    Yet some games do ok you know; like "Landmark" is a demanding game, your using a 3D editor while in-game and doing some complicated sfuff.
    Then the driver can crash while watching a You Tube film?!

Maybe it is just my inability to get my setting right?
    Just how much Core Voultage to Core Clock and memory Clock?

-->> I will persevere... and thanks again ;)
    A suggestion for this was found on another site and want to run it by you guys..

i.e. Increase the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) processing time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value

Exit all Windows based programs.
    Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Gr aphicsDrivers
    On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
    Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
    Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows

Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
    Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.
    Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

But I am not sure if it can be dangerous for the VGA or rather the GPU, what you think guys? :-S

As the crashes are coming while on the deck top some times?

I have also updated Afterburner and left it at it´s default settings.
    Fully scanned for bugs.
    Wanted to refresh the system too, yet could not find the CD yet!
    Problem resolved, thx for your help. New graphic card was needed.