Images from NS2 On Source circa 2007

2»

Comments

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Look at the water and the reflection...useable water! And every screenshot here looks so much more sinister-space-rine-alien-omg-sweet-ish. Reminds me on ns1. Why did the ns2-maps become so bright and color-less?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Pardon my ignorance... but why couldn't they have used the engine that hl2 was made with? Or was that not an option at the time either? (Sorry... started on ns2 right when 'gorgeous' update dropped)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance... but why couldn't they have used the engine that hl2 was made with? Or was that not an option at the time either? (Sorry... started on ns2 right when 'gorgeous' update dropped)

The engine was source engine. First page has 3 or so posts with good explanations.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I am hopeful that newer engines like that proprietary one being used for Reflex, can offer better player movement and maybe could be Modded for NS purposes. (They also sample input 1,000 times a second)
    + multi-perspective demorecording, first person spectate and dynamic mapping.

Yum!

My concern is just where the hell Reflex is going to get their audience from to support continued development on this engine.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    NS2 on Source >>> no more crash and Slow as hell loading time

Just like Left4Dead2 :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Why did the ns2-maps become so bright and color-less?

Cant be serious. Colorless especially.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This history of achio really brings back memories for me :p

NS1, NS1 revised, NS2TR

ns_achio_history.jpg
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »
    Why did the ns2-maps become so bright and color-less?

Cant be serious. Colorless especially.

Adjust your brightness, contrast and gamma :blush:
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

The engine was source engine. First page has 3 or so posts with good explanations.

Ah, hl1 = goldsrc, hl2 = source... so confusing!
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can see FPS flowing out of this images... Seriously look at Respawn, they were able to heavly tweak Source too.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think the thing is that Source didn't become a user friendly and customizable environment up until recently. Respawn's game started life in 2012, not 2007. Every Source game from 2007 previous has the same bugs and issues, and judging from the small number of games made on the engine then as opposed to now, I think it's fair to say Valve recognized that they needed to revamp that system.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Engine-creation syndrome was widely spread at that time. Every game (even among the beginners) resulted into another engine.
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The pictures remind me of Black Mesa Source.