Should we have a polling option available for us to use?

dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
edited November 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
In this thread Yojimbo asked to have an polling option.
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136005/why-isnt-there#latest
So i made this poll.

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I wouldn't hate them, but I just feel they're kinda.. cluttery. I think the forum itself is kind of a poll in a way, don't want people to focus on numbers over discussions too much.

Meh.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pole-ception!

Yes but limit it a different way than its current method. If possible, make it so you much have some arbitrary metrics to limit such usage to people who active forum going members of the community. Maybe 6 months time on the forum and 50 agrees. I wouldn't limit it by post count because that encourages useless posting and we have enough of that. 50 agree's is not hard to obtain and shows a track record of at least some sort of useful postings. The numbers could really be just about anything that makes sense though.

It would also be useful for moderators to remove the privilege of making polls.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nordic wrote: »
    Maybe 6 months time on the forum and 50 agrees
    Optimist :p

Let's have a go, we can always rewind the poll of polls and have a poll about that poll to have a poll...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Maybe 6 months time on the forum and 50 agrees
    Optimist :p

Let's have a go, we can always rewind the poll of polls and have a poll about that poll to have a poll...
    Too much or far too little?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I think it would be wise on creating requirements on poll creation as you wouldn't want every Tom, dick and harry making polls, even if it does get abused you can always remove the offenders access to create one!

I think we are thinking way too much into it, I've been on a fair few gaming forums and never seen it ever becoming a problem, just give it a go already! :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bring on the pointless polls about whether NS2 should have no alien commander... no thanks :)
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    edited November 2014
    If its only possible to vote if you type ur resoning below
    (btw i like it alot that it displays who voted what freaking awesome)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Bring on the pointless polls about whether NS2 should have no alien commander... no thanks :)

He's right, I would never ever vote for an alien commander
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2014
    Well surely there would be a way to make a poll to limit the use of polls for certain people.
    It would also be useful for moderators to remove the privilege of making polls.

i wouldn't mind.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Posting to see how the responses work in post form, this seems like an interesting feature.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    Yes

Ofcourse it is :P
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I don't understand the problem with this

Everyone can open a thread and you don't seem worried at all by that.
    This is exactly the same. Like it happens with the threads, you will have some really interesting polls, others quite random, and others a little stupid. Actually, if it is one of the recurrent topics on the forum, it will only take you 2 seconds to vote instead of having to read again 600 pages of the same arguments over and over again.

Just make clear that a poll is just an opinion of the community and that the developers/CDT will do whatever they think is the best for the game regardless of the result

At the end of the day a poll is just a thread with a summary of the opinions in the first post, which is awesome. I just think that it should be possible to change your vote. That is the reason for all the discussion. Let's start a poll about the possibility to change your opinion in polls!! :D
    @Blrg‌ you best get voting then!

Exactly my thoughts, you hit the nail right on the head, shouldn't have to trawl through 600 pages to come to the conclusion someone has already made on page 1 to begin with!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Only for people above a certain post count or something of the like.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I'd say the ability to make polls should be based on join date. Once someone has been active on the forums for a few months, I see the potential for spammy poles to be reduced.

I know that when most people first join the forums there are a lot of "x is op" or "y is useless" posts, which then seem to go away once the know the game more and read more of the forums (i.e. time spent on the forums)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited November 2014
    Weren't polls on here years ago? Why was it taken away? And, what has changed to add it back?

Im unsure about the idea.

Edit - I do like how it shows your vote with the post you make.

Double edit - looks like editing makes it go away?

Triple edit - it shows up after refresh.. I'll move along now..
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2014
    It was changed because idiots (and some non-idiots) kept making polls about silly things.
    Like taking away alien commander, for instance.

Generally the opinion is if you don't exploit it this time, (you being the peasants) It shall stick around.
    I guess that's comprox's call though.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make a poll about if we should make a poll, poll.... erm.... <3
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    There should be a poll on main NS2 site for special use only...
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Sounds good if the forums are not spammed with these polls and if those are interesting enough.
    edited November 2014
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    There should be a poll on main NS2 site for special use only...

Can you please describe what that special use would be?

Unless its them generic polls most game websites feature "Are you looking forward to seeing NS3 in 2016?" which is where they belong anyway, any more in depth and serious posts belong in the forum where a proper discussion can take form.

Don't think UWE have the time to be making polls that much anymore now that they have Subnautica and other projects to be getting on with.

I think it would be much wiser to use our own initiative and co-ordinate with CDT on such small things, I'm sure UWE would be happy not having to hold our hand on such matters.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    The amount of people who didn't get the joke...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    @Kouji_San They Figured it out! QUICK, TO THE BUNKER!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    @Kouji_San They Figured it out! QUICK, TO THE BUNKER!

I don't hide in bunkers, bunkers hide behind me... This way, I'm fueling up the Crocodile!
    Sorry for bumping thread but have we reached a conclusion yet? Is there a deadline on the decision? Would prefer not to let this thread die and forgotten about.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2014
    You should be able to make polls now in general. Over the next day or two Comprox will add it for other subforums too
    Thank you! Glad we were able to reach a decision about this. :)
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    No!

Wait, damn you red box!