An open letter to the NS2 Community

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Lets stay a bit realistic... its been shown in the past that choices made by prem div people on balance affecting lower div, was completely wrong and ignored. Even when players from those very divisions were explaining why so.
    Yes they do seem to have problems getting in a low enought skill mindset to realise how it sometimes works. While this is a clear sign of their knowledge of high level play, it does not always help the people who do not even closely reach that.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    nachos wrote: »
    There are some public servers running comp mod and you get the same experience really. Some games are good, some games are bad. Generally speaking, "vanilla" and "compmod" public games are both different, both balanced, and both are fun. The real differences in quality games are found in the skill disparity of the players in those servers.

I 100% fully agree but in that case, and what @DC_Darkling is trying to explain are about the lower divisions that are not represented in the CDT, there's nothing about the CompMod here even if there are also people complaining about the same issue. Premium players can get awesome and bad ideas as much as a division 4 player or another public player can get. I know there are a majority of public players in the CDT, but the other small part is composed by premium players. That can make sense for some but not for everyone. We have public players that can have different ideas than a premier div player and same about a division 3 player. It's just about that feeling to have public and premier players but nobody between both.

• bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Lets stay a bit realistic... its been shown in the past that choices made by prem div people on balance affecting lower div, was completely wrong and ignored. Even when players from those very divisions were explaining why so.
    Yes they do seem to have problems getting in a low enought skill mindset to realise how it sometimes works. While this is a clear sign of their knowledge of high level play, it does not always help the people who do not even closely reach that.

Ok whilst we're being realistic, give me one example where this occured and has affected vanilla NS2 gameplay. Especially given that:
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Lets just get something straight, the div one players do not decide the ns2 balance and most cdt members are pub players. Pub and comp players are all required to get a balanced game. The comp mod was not merged as it is, far from it.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I have no idea why this thread went rage.... but I'll continue to read...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's easy to get carried away with details and petty arguments. What's most important is to see the bigger picture.

This is a discussion that needed to happen at some point, whether or not everyone acknowledges that fact. As a result, there have already been some changes. The form in which this discussion came into existence shouldn't be a consideration: we all have the same goals and should focus forwards on improving the game, and improving the community.

I don't want to have a say in most of the changes that the CDT makes - that wouldn't be appropriate. However, for big/contentious things, a separate discussion thread is probably a good idea. I'm not saying the cdt shouldn't still get the casting vote or veto.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pelargir wrote: »

I 100% fully agree but in that case, and what @DC_Darkling is trying to explain are about the lower divisions that are not represented in the CDT

There doesn't need to be forced representation of anybody, it just so happens that some of the people that give balance input in the CDT are public players and prem players, they have not been picked BECAUSE they are prem/public. Both are probably entirely inconsequential.
    Premium players can get awesome and bad ideas as much as a division 4 player or another public player can get.
    This is true that anyone can come up with a great idea, but it's really only possible to balance at the top, and the people who know the intricacies and exploitative mechanics are the top players. This is why they are top players, because they know whats the best thing to do. Now there are also public people giving input and I suppose that's to give a reality check to remind people that there are public servers where it's 10v10.
    We have public players that can have different ideas than a premier div player and same about a division 3 player.

And everyone is welcome to give input and feedback. Get involved! Write on these forums, get involved through steam chat, take an interest. However, don't feel so entitled to have your view put into the game. It might very well just be a terrible idea, but you have to understand a terrible idea being rejected from being rejected because of your skill level.
    It's just about that feeling to have public and premier players but nobody between both.
    If the concerns are seriously because a group of people don't feel like they're getting their cut of the cake, then let me tell you that balance discussions aren't fun or exciting, they're just discussions are aren't to be envied.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Girls, girls. Everybody knows Jacob is the best.

Oops wrong forums. Sorry...

More seriously :

@OP An open letter to prevent something just did ... not... That looks awkward to say the least and produced walls of text. Everybody make mistakes, say you're sorry, close the thread and we can all move on.

@others : If you feel the game is dying why bombing this thread with huge loads of energy on forums while (depending on what you decide):
    -There is a world out there.
    -You can (in)put some energy in something more constructive.

Make maps / mods / events. Whatever.

If you don't know how to -> learn by trying and joining some groups. What you will learn will not be lost.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    There doesn't need to be forced representation of anybody, it just so happens that some of the people that give balance input in the CDT are public players and prem players, they have not been picked BECAUSE they are prem/public. Both are probably entirely inconsequential.

That's right and nobody complained about this as far as I know. But that doesn't mean people in other divisions cannot join the CDT as Balance/Discussion job neither, but I really think this guy should have arguments and proofs about this 'cause as you said, this is not random people in the team. I don't really know if that's needed on the vanilla game development. Personally, I think this discussion could have more sense if it was about competitive stuff.
    This is true that anyone can come up with a great idea, but it's really only possible to balance at the top, and the people who know the intricacies and exploitative mechanics are the top players. This is why they are top players, because they know whats the best thing to do. Now there are also public people giving input and I suppose that's to give a reality check to remind people that there are public servers where it's 10v10.

Well, I'm afraid to say that's not true. Of course there are reasons for people to be in their respective division. And I could even say in a classic game with a huge community that seems legit to think like you. On NS2, at least, the divisions are getting closer of each others, the reasons that make players in premier div or another one is their skill level, how they shoot and aim. This not about strategies anymore or teamplay, both are importants for sure but not the most valuable causes. I've refereed a ton of matches to be sure enough strategies are in general similar regardless of the divisions and do not come from premium players everytime. All the current competitive players have played the game for around 1 year or so, they're all experienced and if I put away the lowest division, they have same strategies, in general a good teamplay in divisions 1 and 2 (even 3) but they have definitely not the same ability to kill their ennemies when they're supposed to do it. The most important point to notice. That means they have the same brain abilities but different physical skills.
    And everyone is welcome to give input and feedback. Get involved! Write on these forums, get involved through steam chat, take an interest. However, don't feel so entitled to have your view put into the game. It might very well just be a terrible idea, but you have to understand a terrible idea being rejected from being rejected because of your skill level.

About the CDT and vanilla game, I agree.
    If the concerns are seriously because a group of people don't feel like they're getting their cut of the cake, then let me tell you that balance discussions aren't fun or exciting, they're just discussions are aren't to be envied.

I trust you.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Pelargir has pretty much explained what I ment so ill leave it at that.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Well, I'm afraid to say that's not true. Of course there are reasons for people to be in their respective division. And I could even say in a classic game with a huge community that seems legit to think like you. On NS2, at least, the divisions are getting closer of each others, the reasons that make players in premier div or another one is their skill level, how they shoot and aim. This not about strategies anymore or teamplay, both are importants for sure but not the most valuable causes. I've refereed a ton of matches to be sure enough strategies are in general similar regardless of the divisions and do not come from premium players everytime. All the current competitive players have played the game for around 1 year or so, they're all experienced and if I put away the lowest division, they have same strategies, in general a good teamplay in divisions 1 and 2 (even 3) but they have definitely not the same ability to kill their ennemies when they're supposed to do it. The most important point to notice. That means they have the same brain abilities but different physical skills.

Sorry, I've watched matches, field merced, and comm merced in lower divisions and it simply is not the same strategies. Same tech route, sure, but not the same strategies. Going fast upgrades but zoning and pressuring really poorly is akin to ARC rushes without marines to cover the ARCs. If you do the optimum tech route (assuming there is one on one particular map), then you have to execute it properly and this is just not happening, not because of a lack of aim and reflexes, but from bad decision making processes. A lot of teams are really just using "copy cat strats" and don't understand the reasoning behind the decisions they make.

The only way to balance for all skill levels would be to lower the skill ceiling drastically so that everyone can max out the effectiveness of weapons and lifeforms and that would severely take away the excitement from any game because everyone would be as good as each other.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Just be warned: I personally like to debate :D

Do you ever like to mass-debate?

=))
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    ChiBi ` wrote: »
    Another problem that troubles the community is the presence of PremDiv players among the CDT that take care of the balance. We won’t come back on a debate that leads to nowhere, but we think that one representant of each lower division should be consulted before major balance changes. This would help get the best changes possible and will please lower divisions players that can have some different opinion about balance (we all know the game plays differently in PremDiv and in Div4). This is only an idea, but such as this one, more could sprout.

How would you even pick a person from each div? A vote? Then it's just a popularity contest among the divisions. Then there's the issue of people changing divisions. What happens when your Div 4 representative gets better and moves up to a Div 2 team? Do you kick them out? Do you have to repick every NSL season? What about representatives that just don't really participate? Or are asking for stuff completely off the wall? Do we need an even split between NA/EU/AUS representatives as well? How do we determine that? It's really a huge mess.

And really though, sure, there's a very small number of premier players that are on the team. However, if you actually take a look at our team, there are far more players who are lower divisions. When it comes to playtest, we have players that range in skill from div 4 to div 1. A lot of the playtest team is even on the lower end of that spectrum. There's a small handful of players who have previous/current competitive experience, but the majority of our playtest team are just pubbers. So while you may not have the "singular representative" that you want, there's players in a very wide range of skill that are playing the game and the balance changes. Besides, there aren't any planned balance changes anyway.

If you have actual feedback on a particular part of vanilla balance, please make a thread and discuss with evidence why it's bad. Don't start a thread that says "Gorges are bad now." Tell us why gorges are bad. If you actually provide reasons, people are more than happy to discuss it.

Honestly though, this sounds more like people have issues with comp mod. A lot of people were complaining about lerk changes. However, these changes were never in vanilla. They were briefly in our internal build. While we took some ideas from comp mod, it was in no way just copied over. It was adjusted for public play. It was NOT adjusted for competitive. Many of your complaints are addressing competitive play, wanting players from each division to speak up about balance. Competitive play balance is handled by Comp Mod.

If you have issues with Comp Mod, there is an entire thread on the NSL forums specifically for the discussion of balance. Everyone is encouraged to share their thoughts/opinions regardless of their division. They also hold meetings on TeamSpeak which are announced.

If there are more questions, I'll answer what I can.
    sebb wrote: »
    You don't have to create a 1000 word google doc with signatures for people to listen to your suggestions.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    edited September 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    the reasons that make players in premier div or another one is their skill level, how they shoot and aim.

False. That is a very small characteristic of what differentiates players in different divisions.

Let's play a premier team against a division 1 team.

You know, if that question had been raised 3 months ago or even before, I would probably agree with you. But now, there are no more new teams (or new incoming players that join NSL, or a few number), no more new strategies, all the game or plenty of them look similar. That's why the CompMod has been made? And that's why I like the idea. That's right, in premier division, let's take a look on Titus playing vs. Snails, one of them is going to win the match 'cause of an important bunch of factors (skills, strategies, luck, etc), definitely the same way in every internal division match. But this is not true between each division, at least, division 3 and 2/ division 2 and 1/ division 1 and premier. You've got the point.

But it seems that the problem is about this. Point of view of the premium teams about lower divisions and the lower divisions about premier division.

Here again, in my opinion, it should concern only competitive and CompMod, not the CDT.
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Titus playing vs. Snails, Titus is going to win the match 'cause of an important bunch of factors (luck, etc)

fixed

ps: Golden pls no flamethrowers.
    ps2: Zefram plz no view models for marines.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    the reasons that make players in premier div or another one is their skill level, how they shoot and aim.

False. That is a very small characteristic of what differentiates players in different divisions.

But it IS an important characteristic that separates regular players from comp players. That, along with teamwork.

Basically Rookie->Skilled pubber->Comp Player

Rookies have worst accuracy and tend to have less teamwork ability (well, in general anyways), while the comp players tend to have much better accuracy and great teamwork skills (again, speaking in general)

However you are right that is not what separates players in different divs.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    On NS2, at least, the divisions are getting closer of each others, the reasons that make players in premier div or another one is their skill level, how they shoot and aim.
    I’ll take the bite then…

Saying that ”aiming” is the difference between high level players and lower level players is really ignorant and disrespectful thing to say. Ignorant, because like in all FPS games, NS2 is mostly about positioning and there is infinite skill in positioning. Hell, I would say that 90% of ”aiming” is about positioning and that is just aiming. Disrespectful because you are ignoring all the experience and game sense high level players possess, reducing that to just aiming is simple outrageous. I have trained like 50+ players from low or middle level to high level and the difference between truly high level player and middle level player is much larger than difference between public player and low level competitive player.
    But now, there are no more new teams (or new incoming players that join NSL, or a few number), no more new strategies, all the game or plenty of them look similar.
    There are also lots of new viable strategies that any clan has used constantly. Also strategies aren’t about building orders but positioning your units. Building order is just small part of overall meaning of strategy in this game. We have been playing few weeks now after summer break and we already have a new meta strategy.

coolitic wrote: »
    But it IS an important characteristic that separates regular players from comp players. That, along with teamwork.

Basically Rookie->Skilled pubber->Comp Player

Rookies have worst accuracy and tend to have less teamwork ability (well, in general anyways), while the comp players tend to have much better accuracy and great teamwork skills (again, speaking in general)

However you are right that is not what separates players in different divs.

Well, my thoughts did not concern rookies and even public players with competitive players. But yeah, about this, that's right.
  • amckernamckern Join Date: 2003-03-03 Member: 14249Members, Constellation
    The CDT is the old boys club from #nsmapping on GSIRC - anything you say will wash over there heads, they have a one track mind, and dont mind changing ns2 until THEY are happy.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    amckern wrote: »
    The CDT is the old boys club from #nsmapping on GSIRC - anything you say will wash over there heads, they have a one track mind, and dont mind changing ns2 until THEY are happy.

This leads me to believe you actually have not seen the team members list, and who is in charge making decisions.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Obraxis wrote: »
    amckern wrote: »

This leads me to believe you actually have not seen the team members list, and who is in charge making decisions.
    This leads me to believe you've spent too much time on YO-clan and have lost your sense of humour. :)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    There is no possible way to rebalance and improve a game without pissing off a subset of the community with each change. It simply can't be done. If the CDT did design by committee and only implemented changes that got an overwhelmingly positive public response, a lot of great (but controversial) ideas would be completely off the table because the forums could never come to agreement. First example that comes to mind is armories no longer healing armor - that was an executive decision by UWE that probably would have been torpedoed by community politics if they weren't willing to just pull the trigger on it themselves. Also half the stuff in the balance mod for that matter. Like it or not, the CDT is in charge now and that means they have the authority to make these calls. Making a big political production over it isn't helping anybody.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Zek a lot of us had been calling for the armory change before uwe put it in, actually.