Where's my commander's badge plz?

Disco_StuDisco_Stu Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187965Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I have over 10hrs of commanding. 14 to be exact. I just got told by a guy who has the commander's badge that he got it when he reached 10hrs.

http://ns2stats.com/player/player/118936?alltime=true

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    10 hours of winning or 20 hours of losing.
  • Disco_StuDisco_Stu Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187965Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    10 hours of winning or 20 hours of losing.

Hmmm... So 42% of 14hrs 12mins. Let's round up to make it easier and say 14hrs 15mins and that's 42% of 14.25 = 5.98

So I need just over 4hrs more of winning?

• DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    You also need to be playing on a server that is whitelisted for those 10-20 hours

You can check out the list on the Hive - http://hive.naturalselection2.com/servers/whitelist
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited June 2014
    IMO, the 10 hours winning thing should be removed. The only way somebody would achieve a comm badge in a period of time significantly shorter than the 20 hour requirement is if they only commanded stacked games - which is something we don't want to encourage.

Even an amazing comm should be getting close to a 50% win rate in pubs due to the fact that the determining factor is most often the quality of your field units (I rarely see commanders lose games if they're at least competant). Sometimes a good comm might even lose because he/she's comm and not on the field. Attempts at balancing teams are usually done based on estimation of people's effectiveness as field-players. Because the commander is only visible to it's own team, a good field-player/comm going commander may handicap the team, if he/she is otherwise more effective on the field and other good field-players join the other team under the assumption they're needed to balance that player out.

I'm all for a condition that also emphasizes commanding quality instead of just focusing on commanding experience. But until we get that skill system to aid in this (e.g. maybe by ignoring wins/losses with imbalanced teams), I don't think this is the way to do it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @d0ped0g‌
    Disagree.
    One cannot remotely deduct that because I won 10 hours of games by commanding that it was stacked.
    That's such a stretch and an assumption. There are sooo many factors involved..

Watch how i can turn that logic around to suit any argument: Winning 10 hours worth of games i commanded means that i was more than likely playing hour long games in pubs where the balance must have been perfect to allow for such long back and forth rounds.
    :P
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @d0ped0g‌
    Disagree.
    One cannot remotely deduct that because I won 10 hours of games by commanding that it was stacked.
    That's such a stretch and an assumption. There are sooo many factors involved..

Watch how i can turn that logic around to suit any argument: Winning 10 hours worth of games i commanded means that i was more than likely playing hour long games in pubs where the balance must have been perfect to allow for such long back and forth rounds.
    :P

@dopeddog made a fine point. My requirement for commanding is at least 1-2 experienced pubbers on my team before I even think about subjecting myself to the cat-herding lifestyle. Because the way this game is now, 1-2 experienced players means my team is more often than not stacked; therefore logic would dictate I will reach the 10 hour mark before someone just randomly jumping in the hive/chair.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I randomly jump in the chair. It can be a soul destroying experience, but there is a chance you get to command a team that will work together and everything just goes smooth. Either way, I don't check team stacks before jumping in chair. Its more a 2 minutes waiting for someone else to Comm, then I ll just go in.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    the cat-herding lifestyle.

Hahahaha yessssss. That's pretty much what it feels like.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got ejected the other day because i didnt have a commanders badge Displayed 10/10 would do it again!
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Got ejected the other day because i didnt have a commanders badge Displayed 10/10 would do it again!

L2p
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    MaxAmus wrote: »

L2p

My Badges wont let me :(